The Naming Thread (hijacked)

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

The Naming Thread (hijacked)

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:07 am

Alright, people, listen up! The "encyclopedia" part of FGP needs an actual name, and I need your help to make one up.

I thoroughly reject any name including the term "Wiki". My reasons are sort of thus:

Reichu on the FGP About Page wrote:In the end, this section should have a designation that craftily avoids using the rather cliched term "Wiki". (Something nice and witty. Or just plain geeky.) This is because, well, "Wiki" is terribly cliched, and it creates a needless semantic problem due to the fact that the entire site has become a "Wiki", in that it runs on MediaWiki software. This is where the words of Tyler Durden come in: "You are not the software you use. You are not your goddamn khakWHERE IS SARAH CONNOR." MediaWiki is just a tool, and it should not define any aspect of the project; the "encyclopedic portion" should be named with the mindset that we are still on the old, blue website.

Plus "Wiki" makes people think of Wikipedia, and nobody wants that.

I am quite adamant about this "give 'EvaWiki' a REAL name" thing. I want to get people out of the mindset that we are working on a "Wiki", and back into the mindset that we are working on the New Incarnation of the Fan-Geeks Project Website, because, as far as I am concerned, that is EXACTLY what our goal is. Reichu will settle for nothing less.

Restructuring the website to reflect its true nature would be a considerable boon, as well, but I don't know if anyone (currently in the group) aside from OMF knows how to do that.
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:14 am

Maybe "Eva encyclopedia" or "Neon Genesis Evangelion: Compendium", or "Research of Evangelion" (That last one might be an appropriate basis from which to start thinking, methinks. :tonguegrin: )

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:20 am

"Research of Evangelion". :hahaha:

Now you've done it. We have to use that one somewhere.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

Postby V » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:36 am

Eva Encyclopedia seems the most obvious choice....let me think.....
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:41 am

V wrote:Eva Encyclopedia seems the most obvious choice....let me think.....

Way too unclever and cliched for my tastes. And it's been used before.

For the record, "Evapedia" has been used, as well.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:53 pm

Reichu wrote:
For the record, "Evapedia" has been used, as well.
Crap, that's the first that came to mind.... Too bad everyone shortens it to "Eva" instead of "Genesis" or we could call it "The Book of Genesis"... Anything else I can come up with just sounds like titles for a cheesy book, like:

Evangelion; From Genesis to Revelation

and whatnot.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

V
Banned

Postby V » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:32 pm

EvArchive
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby thewayneiac » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:13 pm

Evageekopedia? (There's a real mouthfull.)
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:35 pm

What about Ornette's old idea about the Magi theme. 3 parts to the site. Commentary, Wiki, Archival. We could have a Magi-like logo with the three sections of the site denoted on it, perhaps differentiated by colour. The names of the sections could just be the Magi names. In other words, the Wiki could just be called either: "Caspar, Balthasar or Melchior", I'm in favour of Balthasar. Just Balthasar. The logo could be the Nerv leaf(already done) or a modification of the Magi logo. Maybe a zoom in of which ever Magi the Wiki is anmed after. Caspar sounds a little more accessible though.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

V
Banned

Postby V » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:01 pm

new people searching for a guide to "this thing called eva" might be confused by a non-obvious name
Who is "Codename V"?....

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:23 pm

Enter the subtitle.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:31 pm

Nah, subtitle or not, let the main title start with "Re-". Two more suggestions- "Revelations of Evangelion" would draw a lot more casual visitors in (Although "Revelations" is pronounced "Reh-velations" and not "Ree-velations"), and "Return of Evangelion" would do nicely since Rebuild is barely a month away from knocking down the doors.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:15 pm

V wrote:EvArchive
Nice. Simple. A bit bland, but not bad.

thewayneiac wrote:Evageekopedia? (There's a real mouthfull.)
Yeah... doesn't lend itself well to thought or speech.

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:What about Ornette's old idea about the Magi theme. <snip>
Oooh, I very much like that idea. But we'd still need a conjoining title:

"Eva Magi Archive"? Even has a nice acronym with EMA.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:49 pm

"Handful of Facts - an Evangelion Encyclopedia", plus a screenie of Shinji's hand post-fap.

Hey, you asked for suggestions.

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:We could have a Magi-like logo with the three sections of the site denoted on it, perhaps differentiated by colour. The names of the sections could just be the Magi names. In other words, the Wiki could just be called either: "Caspar, Balthasar or Melchior", I'm in favour of Balthasar.

It's not a very original idea, though. I remember seeing at least one fan site using a three-level structure based on the Magi.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:35 am

What about "The Entry Plug"?

Along the same lines, we could call, or nickname the commentary "The Core". Not too sure what to call the archived material though. "Gehrin"?

V
Banned

Postby V » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:19 pm

We shouldn't call it "return" because the original series has already been out there for so long. Doesn't jive. The whole thing that Rebuild and Live Action are equal to but destinct from the original.

I'm still going for EvArchive.

Other "Re-" options include:

Review of Evangelion (kind of bland)

Reprise of Evangelion (but it's not just repeating stuff, so probably not)

Resurrection of Evangelion (again, the original never "went away")

Repository of Evangelion (sounds like a condom)

Rehash of Evangelion (far too sarcastic, because it's actually quite constructive)

....so I'm going to stick with "EvArchive"
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:13 am

V wrote:EvArchive

The "Wiki" articles aren't an archive at all. Save "archive" for the stuff that actually IS archival material.

I don't like any the idea of imposing any in-show schemes upon the site.

All we need is a simple, geeky name to throw all so-called "Wiki" content under.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:05 am

How about something exotic: Shinji's sauna? Spheniciform sauna(Hope I spelled that right) Or...no, bring in the "Premium Girl". Rei's Repository! Rei's Research?

Kozo's corner? (it has a nice ring to it, no?)

I'm still thinking...

V
Banned

Postby V » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:40 am

The "Wiki" articles aren't an archive at all. Save "archive" for the stuff that actually IS archival material.

I don't like any the idea of imposing any in-show schemes upon the site.

All we need is a simple, geeky name to throw all so-called "Wiki" content under.

Encyclopedia of Evangelion

or

Fourth Impact -- the union of all Evangelion knowledge into one superorganism of a site.

These are my final suggestions.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:46 pm

V wrote:Eva Encyclopedia seems the most obvious choice....let me think.....

Evcylopedia?

...something involving the Dead Sea Scrolls? ...Fan ...Geek ...Scrolls. :uhh:

'Rachel K. Clark's Fantastic Adventures through Evaland (now with minions)' ... -o-;
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”