Theory & Analysis Pages

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Theory & Analysis Pages

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:09 am

ITT, we discuss theory & analysis pages.

Basic guidelines for these need to be established badly, so here are some thoughts from me. (We will call them "T&A" pages for short.)

• Should they utilize their own namespace? (E.g., "T&A:<insert name of individual page here>")

• How should they be named? V named one in the form of a question -- "Where do Angels come from?" -- but I said that "Origin of Angels" would be better. Simple, straightforward, to-the-point. Similarly: "EVA-00's Soul", "EVA-01 and Lilith" (investigating their relationship), "Angel versus Human" (to cover the topic of what the hell these two terms are supposed to mean in the show), and so on.

• How should the pages be organized? That is, a general layout should be established, I suppose by experimenting and seeing what works best. I should note that before attempting to tackle one of these pages, compiling an outline of what you want to "hit" would be best.

• T&A pages would come in two brands: Tier-1 and Tier-2.

• Tier-1 would be for people who just want things quick and to the point, and don't really care about seeing the grotesque details; these would be written NPOV, sort of like the encyclopedic articles.

• Tier-2 would be the uber-expanded, geeky versions that draw from the forum threads where these issues were already discussed. (If they haven't been discussed/forwarded in a group setting, why the hell are you writing about them?) They would have the same title as the Tier-1 page, only with "_(In-Depth)" appended to the end.

Considering FGP's heart and soul rests with the "family"/network of geeks that became established around Summer 2003 (yes, when I showed up), and extends into the current day and over to such places as EMF (of course), discussions within this community are to serve as the direct basis for In-Depth pages.

My plan is for In-Depth pages to directly draw from the relevant threads/discussions necessary to present the required ideas. This requires a bit of search and editing work, but Ornette can help with the search part, and we still have old various old geezers around to provide aid. Aside from headings, In-Depth pages would be presented in a sort of "Dialogue" format.

• Whoever compiles a particular In-Depth page would keep track of every thread (and whatever else) referenced. Feasibly, the Tier-1 page would just be a simplified version of whatever the Tier-2 page ends up being, so listing its own references would ultimately be redundant. But, pending the creation of both Tier-1 and -2 pages, anyone creating the former who DOES reference threads (or anything else, for that matter) is required to cite them. (I haven't been able to get the citation mechanism to work any which way, so, if you can't either, a ghetto improvision can always suffice for the time being.)

Next week (hopefully) I'll pick a topic and attempt to do some kind of primordial In-Depth page, just to see how feasible it actually is. :hahaha: Meantime, I suppose people can stick to fooling around with Tier-1.

Okay, I suppose I'm through for now. DISCUSS, BITCHES.
Last edited by Reichu on Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:57 am

I will begin work on this at once.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:08 am

V wrote:I will begin work on this at once.

Well, remember your "first priority"?

By "work", what do you intend to do?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:28 am

http://evacommentary.org/evawiki/EvaWiki:Rules_and_Regulations

Rough draft unfinished.

Moving on to writing other stuff

Have to run errands now, will continue this afternoon
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:19 am

I already know quite a few T&A pages I'd like to tackle, but the one I know most about is regarding the 24' Plothole and all of the (conspiracy) theories regarding it. But I have little knowledge of threads about it on ANF, but I do know of the uber-long one from EMF.

Here's an OT question though: Regarding the ANF archive section, shouldn't some EMF threads be archived as well? I mean, the site keeps going down, and there are a lot of long, useful threads on there that could be culled from as well.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:40 am

I have a theory in mind that Eva souls are actually more needed for the purpose of third impact than anything else- I got it when I thought about Rei synching with her simulation body before it connected to the Eva, and the "black core" seen on Adam and Eva 01. Old Man Kiel and his minions seem to be in the know about something as well...

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:05 am

UrsusArctos wrote:I have a theory in mind that Eva souls are actually more needed for the purpose of third impact than anything else- I got it when I thought about Rei synching with her simulation body before it connected to the Eva, and the "black core" seen on Adam and Eva 01. Old Man Kiel and his minions seem to be in the know about something as well...

That's for the Fan Geek Commentary namespace. If it succeeds there it might eventually get "promoted" to EvaWiki

ok the guidlines are in
Who is "Codename V"?....

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:41 am

Boku wa kuma, kimi wa akuma. That said, I will wait till I get my facts clear...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:26 am

My 2p on this category:

For Ghu's sake, let's always write out "Theory and Analysis" in full on the published site.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:13 pm

V wrote:That's for the Fan Geek Commentary namespace.

The actual Commentary is for the FGC namespace. Nothing else.

If it succeeds there it might eventually get "promoted" to EvaWiki

Eva-What? :tongueflap:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:05 pm

Oh...my initial idea was that things like essays written by individual people would be posted on the FGC, while pure hard facts would go on the-website-known-in-its-infancy-as-EvaWiki.

What the hell, this isn't wikipedia, so I guess we can do what we want.

Just need to properly labels stuff with "this is someone's opinion", etc.

I don't want to ruffle feathers with adding in a "this is someone's opinion" tag, but then again, wouldn't it have resulted in a lot less confusion if someone had done that during Amanda Winn-Lee's "Asuka is a gestalt of all the female characters" OPINION during the EoE commentary?
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:36 pm

Anyone unclear on the site's organization is mandated to read this.

I'm hoping to provide some instruction to OMF soon to untangle the current mess.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:28 am

For "T&A" pages, I was thinking that maybe they'd get their own namespace, i.e., all of those pages would have "Theory & Analysis:" prefacing the actual page title. They would also be dumped into a "Theory & Analysis" category. This ought to be solidified, since Wayne et al. are creating T&A pages as we sspppppptttype, and I also want to be able to make redlinks here and there.

Haven't reviewed guidelines yet. On the to-do list.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:00 am

Reichu I need you to review all three sets of guidelines
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:38 pm

Yes, indeed, I shall attempt to hop on it...

From off-topic over here...

OMF wrote:are we going to regard certain shippings as canonical or heretical? Should shippings be mentioned at all?

This is probably an issue for the T&A section in any event.

Reichu wrote:"Shipping" is a fandom phenomenon, and it would be treated as such, I imagine. It's a colorful enough area that I was planning on having the Geektionary entry expanded into a more extensive (and entirely informal) treatment.

T&A pages would discuss things in terms of the relationships between various characters, however the nature of such might be interpreted based on what we see in the show. (Or NOT so based, as the case may sometimes be.) For example, no one would be "shipping" (i.e., advocating on the basis of a personal preference) Asuka/Shinji. However, the position that, say, Shinji and Asuka care about/are interested in one another, based on what's provided in the show and whatever else, would be presented.

Well, I suppose some "passion" might be allowed to show through on 2nd-tier T&A pages, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there...

V wrote:
T&A pages would discuss things in terms of the relationships between various characters, however the nature of such might be interpreted based on what we see in the show.

Verily.

There might be an in-depth analysis article devoted to Shinji/Rei or Shinji/Asuka, but this would be encyclopedic; basically grouping analysis of all of the relevant scenes into one.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I think this relates, and hopefully asking this question isn't treading on dangerous territory here (the following is really a personal curiosity question more than anything else), but would R/S have more or a "Mother-Son" or "Sister-Brother" relationship of sorts?

A T&A (nice acronym, ain't it?) page would investigate what the show provides about their relationship and what it might mean, representing the various sides/interpretations and the pros/cons of each one. Feasibly, you could be the first person to attempt tackling such a terrible mess of a "character relationship analysis" page...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:46 pm

I'm punching up the Policy pages now:

check them tomorrow;

however, please tell me if "Standards and Conventions" is in the form YOU want it to be, right NOW.

Then I'll read through it and see if there's any issues I have with the changes you made from what I originally threw up (I don't think there will be anything, but I need to know so I know what your new finallized rules are, etc.)
Who is "Codename V"?....

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:38 pm

I added some text to the Category: Theory & Analysis, but it blew up in my face. Apparently, mediawiki doesn't handle the "&" very well. Whenever I try to edit it or go to it, it thinks I'm looking at "Category: Theory". So I went ahead and changed all instances (main page) and the 4 pages that are in this category to point to "Category: Theory and Analysis" instead. This seems to work just fine. However, I can't delete the old one, "Category: Theory & Analysis", is there some way an admin can delete it for me?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:48 pm

Nothing to delete, I don't think. If you punch in "Category:Theory", it'll think you're trying to make a new page. Same thing will happen if you try to grab the page "Category:Roflcopter".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:10 pm

Hmm, whatever you did fixed it. Before, I was still able to bring up the "Theory & Analysis" page by going to the history from the recent changes page. But now when I click on it, it takes me to "Theory and Analysis". So, all is good.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:54 am

Okay, n00b question here: How does one go about adding a page to Theory and Analysis?
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”