Fun Wiki User InfoBox -- Join EvaWiki to Get one!

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderator: Board Staff

V
Banned

Fun Wiki User InfoBox -- Join EvaWiki to Get one!

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:32 pm

As part of my drive to encourage people to use EvaWiki more, I made up a "user infobox" for the EvaWiki; it's fun and I hope it encourages people to edit more (as opposed to being afraid to change anything at all)

to use it, copy-paste this into the top of your userpage:

{{User Infobox
| name =
| date of birth =
| favorite episode =
| favorite character =
| favorite relationship =
| favorite angel =
| favorite evangelion =
}}

Check out my own userpage for what this ends up looking like: http://evacommentary.org/evawiki/User:V

It's pretty fun and I hope will get everyone to know each other better. Enjoy :)
Last edited by V on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Dr. Nick
Committeeman
Committeeman

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:07 pm

Nice, although wouldn't "year of birth" make more sense than "age"?

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:30 pm

really? I thought you want date of birth just to find out "age" anyway...
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:43 pm

V wrote:really? I thought you want date of birth just to find out "age" anyway...

Otherwise, you'd need to change it every year.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:49 pm

alrighty, I'll alter it
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:56 pm

I was thinking about this just the other day, when I was writing some nonsense on my own page in a fit of insomnia. We have these profile things on the old site, see:

Homeland: New Jersey, USA
Role: Commentary Mistress
Lot in Life: Student of Illustration
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

And Dr. Nick and I conspired secretly about expanding the number of "fields", probably in e-mails from years long past. But if Niko has any immediate recollection as to when/where, it would save me from getting lost in the black hole that is my collective saved e-mails in Outlook Express.

Dr. Nick
Committeeman
Committeeman

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:19 pm

Could the fields perhaps be divided into two groups, one for basic info and one for (optional) fanboy info? The latter would include favorite-whatevers etc.

Reichu wrote:But if Niko has any immediate recollection as to when/where, it would save me from getting lost in the black hole that is my collective saved e-mails in Outlook Express.

Sorry, my email archives only extend back to September 2005 when I purchased a corpus program suitable for handling ungodly masses of text.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:06 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Could the fields perhaps be divided into two groups, one for basic info and one for (optional) fanboy info? The latter would include favorite-whatevers etc.

Reichu wrote:But if Niko has any immediate recollection as to when/where, it would save me from getting lost in the black hole that is my collective saved e-mails in Outlook Express.

Sorry, my email archives only extend back to September 2005 when I purchased a corpus program suitable for handling ungodly masses of text.

Well, it might have happened after September 2005. But, still... KYA~!

My mailbox didn't turn up any search results for "profile/s" in my "Niko" folder (YES YOU HAVE ONE), so maybe it would be easier just to brainstorm anew about which fields would be cool to have.

For "normal infos", I recommend: homeland (since that never changes) and "lot in life" (although that has a bad habit of changing, if you're not stuck in a shitty job or, like me, have absolutely no life at all). I think some of the others we came up with, years ago, were longer items like, "what do you like about NGE", etc.

I'll probably browse through some of those old e-mails sometime. For the lulz. ("lol Niko's a medic")

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:42 pm

Could the fields perhaps be divided into two groups, one for basic info and one for (optional) fanboy info? The latter would include favorite-whatevers etc.

You don't have to fill out every field.

Just don't add some of them, i.e. cut out " |favorite relationship = " entirely.

I will add these new field Reichu.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:17 am

I didn't add entries for some of the fields, but they show up anyway: http://evacommentary.org/evawiki/User:Reichu

BTW, thanks for the new fields. I'm not sure if we still need "Role" -- at least, the name "Role" might be too opaque for most people to know what to do with it. "Project Role", maybe?

Also, how do I get rid of that big "sound only"? I wouldn't mind uploading an image of myself to frighten people, but I'm still a total n00b at this part.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:11 am

....OMF might need to help me with the template thing to "hide" stuff (they're a real bitch and you only actually sit down and write them maybe once, so I'm fuzzy on how to set that up really good with all the "if this field says this, then this" features but I'll get on it....probably by reverse-engineering the episode infobox.

***Just post an image of yourself onto the forum right here and I could to it for you Reichu.

Of course how to actually do it is: image must be a JPG format file. Make sure it isn't horrifically big (there is a size limit, the image I used on mine is more or less normal size). After logging in, on the left there is a feature that says "upload file" go to "browse" from your computer directory and there you go. You should actually probably get used to using that feature now that I come to mention it, i guess....
Who is "Codename V"?....

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:26 am

Reichu wrote:I didn't add entries for some of the fields, but they show up anyway: http://evacommentary.org/evawiki/User:Reichu

BTW, thanks for the new fields. I'm not sure if we still need "Role" -- at least, the name "Role" might be too opaque for most people to know what to do with it. "Project Role", maybe?

Also, how do I get rid of that big "sound only"? I wouldn't mind uploading an image of myself to frighten people, but I'm still a total n00b at this part.

All I did was add this to the top of the list:

| image=[[Image:<filename>]]

replacing "<filename>" with whatever picture you uploaded.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:21 pm

Ornette: Incidentally, I looked at your User page to "learn by example", before I came back to check the forum. :tonguegrin:

V: I used a PNG, and it works just fine.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:13 pm

Here's mine... Likely temporary. I'm an editing addict...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:38 pm

I tried and I'm failing already :crybaby:

Name Michael Richards
Real Name {{{real name}}}
Date of birth 28/6/1988
Homeland {{{homeland}}}
Role {{{role}}}
Lot in life {{{lot in life}}}

What just happened?
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:41 pm

Katayoku no Tenshi wrote:I tried and I'm failing already :crybaby:

Copy and paste this:

{{User Infobox
| name =
| date of birth =
| favorite episode =
| favorite character =
| favorite angel =
| favorite evangelion =
}}

and write your answers right next to each entry.

You can add more slots like:

| lot in life =

if you want.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:45 pm

Edit Edit: Never mind I fixed it.
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:05 pm

So, Eva Yojimbo, are you doin' anything Saturday Night? ;)

I kid, I kid.

Uh, entering things like our (full) names and date of birth doesn't mean people can automatically stalk us or use our info as Identity Theft, does it? :unsure: I'm rather paranoid about things like that...

@ Katayoku no Tenshi: Umm.....This is the type of template I've been using it (learned from Reichu's example) if it helps any:

{{User Infobox
| image=[[Image:PIC NAME.jpg|150px]]
| name =
| real name =
| date of birth =
| homeland =
| role =
| lot in life =
| favorite character =
| favorite evangelion =
| favorite episode =
| favorite angel =
}}
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:24 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:So, Eva Yojimbo, are you doin' anything Saturday Night?
Probably not... Know any good beaches? ^_^

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Uh, entering things like our (full) names and date of birth doesn't mean people can automatically stalk us or use our info as Identity Theft, does it? :unsure: I'm rather paranoid about things like that...
I'm not so much paranoid, I just prefer the good ol' internet anonymity which is why only a few people know who I really am. *evil laugh*

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:08 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Uh, entering things like our (full) names and date of birth doesn't mean people can automatically stalk us or use our info as Identity Theft, does it? :unsure: I'm rather paranoid about things like that...

Just being on the internet is enough, any resourceful enough person with a bit of research and know-how will be able to find these things, eventually leading to a trail of possible CCN or even worse, your SSN.

So unless you have someone who's after you, there are much easier prey to be had, which is why I don't give a shit. If there's one thing I learned from going to hacker cons is that "The best security" < "human stupidity".

Return to “The Editorium”