Wiki Boot Camp -- For the Noobs

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

V
Banned

Wiki Boot Camp -- For the Noobs

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:14 am

Welcome to Wiki Boot Camp.

Reichu tells me that I need to begin introducing the "noobs" do the Wiki. Very well. I decided to start with a simple yet easily attainable goal.

Your current orders are as follows:

To get the feel for editing a wiki (I assume you have no prior experience),
I want you to together work on finishing one article/project: Fan Service

You must make an article that defines "Fan Service", and then make a definitive list of every "Fan Service moment" in Neon Genesis Evangelion

Nextly, I need to ask each of you to state in one sentence what your sole purpose on this wiki is.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:48 am

1 - To make a link to another page on a wiki, enclose it within double brackets: [[Fan Service]]

2 - under *NO* circumstances use a single apostrophe to make quotation marks, always use full quotation marks:

NO: 'Feel free to take advantage of anything here'

YES: "Feel free to take advantage of anything here"

The reason for this is that Auto-wiki-code for putting text into italics or boldface uses apostrophe marks. Use two apostraphes at the beginning, and then two at the end, of a set of text to make italics. Use three for bold text.

Thus, ''Fan Service'' = Fan Service

'''Fan Service''' = Fan Service

So NEVER use apostrophes to quote things, it screws up wiki code. It ends up italicizing things you don't want italicized. You do need to use apostrophes sometimes when it's actually showing something.

For example: "Shinji is fond of Asuka's boobs or Misato's boobs?" "Shinji is fond of Asuka's boobs". For that, you'd have to put: ''Asuka's''

This gets a little wonky on me as sometimes it understands what I'm trying to say, and other times an entire paragraph gets put into italics as a result of italicizing a possessive word like that with an "'s". Don't worry about that, if it's a problem I will handle it myself. Usually it doesn't do that though (if you must know, the way around that is to go through manually adding in "<nowiki>Asuka's</nowiki>" around any possessive words. If you see that an entire paragraph has becom italicized as a result of you doing this, try adding the "<nowiki>" thing around stuff. It turns off the auto-wiki-code in text inside of its brackets.)

3 - How to make a bulleted list:

Use asterisks.

One asterisk at the beginning of a line will create a bullet point:

*Bullet Point 1

Write Two asterisk marks one after the other to create a subsection, visually stemming from the original bullet point:

*Bullet Point 1
**Bullet Point 1-A
**Bullet Point 1-B

You can keep doing this to keep making more and more subsections, but after 3 or so it gets really cluttered. I'd rather you didn't do that at first until you're used to using it.

4 - How to indent text:

Add a colon to the beginning of a line:

:This text has been indented once

You add multiple colons to make it indent more

:::::This text has five colons, and thus has been indented five times

HOWEVER, a key problem you have to remember is that different computer monitor displays will actually indent to different amounts. The result is that if you try to center something simply by indenting it, it might look centered on YOUR computer but unknowingly it won't be centered on every computer people are reading it on. For now, just indent once, or maybe indent twice if you really have to. If you need something centered, there's a special set of wraparound code I will put around the next; if you absolutely need something centered, ask me to do it, but that said, you really won't end up centering a lot of stuff.

5 - To make subheadings on a page, add sets of equals signs:

==Heading 1==

==Heading 2==

The number of "=" signs you use changes the size of the subsection's header.

You should start by using two on each side as seen above.

Please never use a single one "=". We should only use those if we really have to.

A subheading for a double equals sign is three equals signs:

==Heading 1==
===Subheading 1-A===
==Heading 2==

Headers created by two equals signs will have a line extending across the screen (this makes it easy to tell where one section ends and another begins).

Headers created using 3 ='s on each side do NOT have a line extending across the screen.

You can actually make a large number of ='s signs, for example:

==Heading 1==
===Subheading 1-A===
====Subheading 1-AA====
=====Subheading 1-AAA=====

But please, for now try to avoid doing this. The two equal signs =='s and the ==='s subheaders are all you really need.

headers with a single = sign are possible, but it makes the text even HUGER and is a big garrish. Thus two equals signs "==" are the default. We'll only use the HUGE single "=" ones if a page needs a LOT of subheaders (to avoid using something with like 6 equals signs "======" which is so small its not really much bigger than normal text.

6 - The biggest and most important rule I have left for last today: ALWAYS start writing at the beginning of a new line. Do NOT try to indent by hitting spacebar 5 times like you would in a word processor. I cannot stress this enough.

New paragraphs are made by hitting "Enter" and IMMEDIATELY starting to write something. Do *NOT* hit spacebar to try to indent. You indent by using colon signs, never spacebar.

Leaving a space at the beginning of a line screws up the entire wiki code, for the ENTIRE FRELLING PARAGRAPH.

It makes the entire thing just go on a SINGLE line. Everything from the entire paragraph. Imagine that you've written a particularly long paragraph with 500 words in it. And you indented it by hitting "spacebar". Now, a SINGLE line of 500 words will just extend to the right hand side of the screen, many times over, screwing up everything. Don't do it.

That's it for now.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:04 am

7- Always write in the third person. NEVER write "I think this" or "I noticed this". A real encyclopedia would real "it is well known that" not "I know that", etc. etc. Just ask yourself if this were an encyclopedia you were reading, what person they'd be speaking in.

8 - How to sign your name: DO NOT. SIGN. YOUR NAME.

Actually, every wiki page has two pages: the *actual* article, and a "Discussion" page: for example: "Shinji Ikari" and "Talk:Shinji Ikari"

NEVER sign your name on the ACTUAL wiki pages. It's a group project.

The "Talk" (or "Discussion") pages are essentially where things specific to that page should be talked about; basically you're supposed to talk about problems being encountered on the page on the "Talk" page instead of asking someone in the forums about it; something in the forums can be lost or might not be noticed, while the "Talk" page is basically like a sheet of paper taped onto the real page, on which we pass notes on it back and forth to each other. As it's always located "right next to" the real article (thanks to those little tabs on top) it's just more convenient for day to day issues.

While you must NEVER sign your name on actual article pages, you ALWAYS have to sign your name on Talk pages.

To sign your name on a Talk page, type "--~~~~" 2 dashes and 4 tildes in a row.

This automatically inserts your name and the date of your post. For example, if I type "--~~~~" that makes "-- V, July 27, 2007 12:30 UTC" (wikis run default on UTC time. "UTC" basically just means Greenwich mean time. The idea is that it was going to be "Universal Coordinated Time" (that makes sense) but the French got PO'd that the "universal time" was based on an ENGLISH acronym. The result was that they changed the letters around to "UTC", which actually stands for nothing (well yeah it stands for something, but basically all of the Anglophobes were screwing with us). Yes, you can reset your personal preferences to stamp your times with a different time zone. But to be honest, I just ignore these. I personally just notice that "okay, that post was at 21:00 and that other post was made at 22:00, so the second one was made after the other". Just don't worry about this.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:36 pm

Thanks for the lesson Sgt. V! May I have another, sir?!!!

But seriously, this will be great help. I'm going to try my damndest to get working on this either tonight or tomorrow. Damn real life... *grumbles to self*
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Wiki Boot Camp -- For the Noobs

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:36 pm

V wrote:and then make a definitive list of every "Fan Service moment" in Neon Genesis Evangelion

Good tutorial, but that part is simply undoable. There is no exact definition for fan service and therefore what counts as fan service varies from person to person. So, instead of a "definitive list", methinks it would be better to include some examples of traditional fan service categories: breasts & asses, eyegasmic mecha, nerdy pop-culture references, etc.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:55 pm

Good tutorial, but that part is simply undoable.

TRY

I wasn't originally planning on making a "fan service list", I thought it was an easy starter task.
Who is "Codename V"?....

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:56 pm

Nextly, I need to ask each of you to state in one sentence what your sole purpose on this wiki is.

*answer the question* :)
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:29 pm

As it stands, I don't think the newcomers are having a good time of things.

I'll address this elsewhere.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:52 pm

I will shoulder what burdens I can...
Who is "Codename V"?....

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:04 pm

V wrote:
I thought it was an easy starter task.
I don't mind taking this one, but it'll take some time. But, a simple explanation of what we view as "fan service" would be nice. For instance, Shinji falling on top of naked Rei in ep. 5. That, to me, wouldn't count as fan service. What about Asuka's boobage in EoE?

To me, "fan service" falls more under "playful suggestiveness" more than anything. Like "Misato teasing Shinji" *shot of Misato's butt in tight jeans* *shot of Misato's cleavage in front of Shinji* Shots of Misato dressing/undressing, her in the bathtub, Asuka's cleavage in the swim suit, etc.Then there's dialogue like that that at the bath house...

I don't think this is impossible, but I'd sure like to set some ground rules. :)

V wrote:Nextly, I need to ask each of you to state in one sentence what your sole purpose on this wiki is.

Well, I know this is in large part Reichu's baby and I'd like to pitch in if for no other reason than to help out. Kinda repay whatever silly debt I think I owe for her and everyone else's help getting to know the ins and outs of NGE.

But my personal goal? If there's one thing I'd like this guide to do it would be to help those who dislike NGE gain a new perspective. About what Anno was trying to express with it. Why things are the way they are. I feel that, in many cases of people disliking the series it's solely do to preconceived notions and misunderstanding. If we could help just a few people understand the series better, then I'd consider it a success.

Reichu wrote:As it stands, I don't think the newcomers are having a good time of things.

Call it nervously excited confusion. ;)
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:25 pm

I started it off. Please finish what I started.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:31 pm

V wrote:I started it off. Please finish what I started.
Arigato. I will try my best to start tomorrow. :)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:33 am

*HELP NEEDED!*

Well, I hit my first major snag: The DVD drive on my computer is broken (I knew the CD Drive was, but I never use the DVD drive), so I can't get access to episodes that way. I was trying to download them using torrents but going at 0.1kbps I think it will take just a wee bit too long.

Anyone know where I can get access to the Platinum Editions online?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:10 pm

...get a new DVD drive?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:55 pm

Reichu wrote:...get a new DVD drive?
Crap, I need a whole new computer. I have about 100MBs worth of space left on my HD and both my CD drive and DVD drive have gone to crap. My computer also likes to freeze and randomly shut my programs down at the WORST times. Oh yeah, and my mouse sticks too. :(

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:33 pm

(sigh)

Stage6
Who is "Codename V"?....

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:41 pm

V wrote:(sigh)

Stage6
Excellent! That should do just fine. :)

EDIT: I feel as if I'm becoming a pest but, anyway to sort through all the dutch and latin and german episodes to find the ones I actually need? :unsure:

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:10 pm

I was never here
Last edited by V on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:11 pm

:whisper: This is the stuff of which PMs are made. :whisper:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:56 am

I've added as many as I could note after scanning the first 5 episodes that were available. I also added a few from memory. I await either high praise and a Scooby snack or a slap on the nose with a newspaper.

In the meantime I think I'll browse over the guide and see if I can catch any spelling errors - ya know, make myself useful.

EDIT: Okay, using spell check on Firefox I've browsed through all of the episodes, Characters, Evas, Angels, etc. and corrected every mistake I noticed.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”