Geektionary

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Geektionary

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:50 pm

A thread to address one of my personal requests: I need the Geektionary (as it currently exists online) to be ported onto its own Wiki-page, ignoring images for the moment. This must be done, and I would like one of the newcomers to take up the task.

Let's see a hand shoot up! Further instructions will be provided at that point.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:55 pm

Thy will be done
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:01 pm

V wrote:Thy will be done

EDIT: Actually, I've contemplated the matter further, and I strongly suspect the Geektionary is going to be so ripped apart by the transition that porting it over is pointless. I think I'll handle its systematic butchering myself after all, and this thread will be used as my butcher's block. (Well, you'll see what I mean later.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:34 pm

Reichu wrote:A number of insignificant Reichu-isms would die in the transition, like "Akira" (unless someone actually wants that to stay), "Apostle", "Bridge Entity", "Mandorla", etc. (although "Fem-Kaworu" would need to be put back in after all...)

Just making sure, do you remember my latest email on the topic of Geektionary? Did you receive at all? To summarize it, I agreed that you can have a tiny note mentioning Fem-Kaworu, but only in the context of a more general phenomenon of humorous gender swapping practiced in ALL FANDOMS (see Rule 63): that's a context you didn't invent and in which Kaworu is just one character among others, like Man-Rei and Fem-Bright. Furthermore, I suggested that you could compile all examples of bizarre gender-related stuff, including our randomly assigned Angel genders, under one brief blanket entry of "Gender Confusion".

Here I am, trying to bend like a willow.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:05 pm

Actually, I have faith in Reichu's geektionary remaining fully intact; just on the "Greater EvaGuide Commentary" as opposed to the "EvaPedia" itself.

I mean just wikipedia "FIGWIT"; no problem. I'm back now and will get to this tonight.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:08 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:I agreed that you can have a tiny note mentioning Fem-Kaworu, but only in the context of a more general phenomenon of humorous gender swapping practiced in ALL FANDOMS

F-K doesn't really fit into the generalized phenomenon of "anime gender-bending". I'm not even sure I would be going to the trouble of wanting to include f-K at all it not for what ended up happening at EMF. (Something to do with Nazis.)

V wrote:Actually, I have faith in Reichu's geektionary remaining fully intact

At the moment, I don't see any logical reason why it should stay intact. The Geektionary is a product of the old site's limitations.
Last edited by Reichu on Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:44 pm

I mentioned to Scott this evening that the Geektionary would probably be canibalized; he seemed quite dismayed. He may or may not drop by here to post a protest.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:54 pm

Reichu wrote:F-K doesn't really fit into the generalized phenomenon of "anime gender-bending".

I just thought you wanted to have that bitch mentioned at least in some form. But do as you please.

I still think "Gender Confusion" entry might be a good idea, though. Better than just a simple "Gender" in any case.

(Something to do with Nazis.)

Godwin's Law? :huh:

But why would mandorla and bridge entity need to be erased? Aren't you gonna use those words in the commentary?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:35 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:I just thought you wanted to have that bitch mentioned at least in some form.

Oh, I do. F-K somehow mutated into the "Godwin's Law" (thanks, I always forget the name) of EMF. Prior to that somewhat unexpected development, I would probably have just submitted defeat on the issue (regardless of random citings on THAT BOARD or wherever). As mentioned, though, it doesn't belong with the gender-bending phenomenon in general. That's Tabris-XX's domain.

I still think "Gender Confusion" entry might be a good idea, though.

The images show up enough at THAT BOARD that I am inclined to agree. And there's the whole Shinji-Nadia thing...

Better than just a simple "Gender" in any case.

That's going bye-bye, I think. Well, at least in its current form. Enough love seems to exist for the page to warrant transmogrifying it into a "Random Chaos" offering (with anything on Evas and Seeds being dumped into T&A Hell).

But why would mandorla and bridge entity need to be erased? Aren't you gonna use those words in the commentary?

They never really belonged in the Geektionary in the first place. I was the only person who ever used them, and not even anytime recently. But being the only person who really worked on the Geektionary -- along with the source of many of the things that DID belong on the page -- my judgment was constantly under threat.

If the terms ever rear their heads again (kind of like PWM, which started to get thrown around at EMF after being apparently forgotten), they can always be reinvoked.

Wayne wrote:I mentioned to Scott this evening that the Geektionary would probably be canibalized; he seemed quite dismayed. He may or may not drop by here to post a protest.

Only by invoking his higher powers of persuasion can he hope to save it!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:10 pm

Now that I think about it, the Geektionary can live on after all, although its parameters will need to be defined. I.e., the Geektionary will be the home of fan-based lingo (acronyms), memes, and that sort of thing.

Notes:

• If acronyms refer to things within the show itself, they'll link to the relevant articles. If there is by chance an entry for an in-show item in the Geektionary, the content may be incorporated into the article if appropriate or feasible.
  • Fan parodies should receive entries on a page of the same name. (They don't warrant articles of their own. The existing ReDeath article will become a redirect.)
  • (Pertaining to the above, fan-related crap should be in a category called "Fandom", and everything here, by its nature, ought to be written in an informal style -- i.e., an exception to the "encyclopedic style for articles" rule. To do it any other way would be absolutely no fun at all.)
  • Entries pertaining to various releases of NGE will be split out and integrated into articles devoted to said releases.
  • Actual people? Oh dear, here it comes back to haunt me.
  • Online Evangelion communities get their own article. Possibly one called "Online Evangelion communities". It falls under "Fandom", so informal wording can remain.
  • References I make to myself in the first person go bye-bye.
  • Gender page: See my last post.
  • Various entries get axed. I've already mentioned some of them. People are free to propose others. Do this on the discussion page.
  • Various entries need to be added. People are free to propose them. Do this on the discussion page.
  • Any particularly brave soul can reembark on The Conversion/Butchering. Questions on how to deal with ambiguous cases or whatever also go in Discussion.

KTHX. :tongue:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:18 pm

Reichu wrote:Oh, I do. F-K somehow mutated into the "Godwin's Law" of EMF.

Cut to me silently crying at such things. I kinda remember that... Anyway, would F-K-kun at least be mentioned on the T&A (in before lol) page somewhere? Personally, I think that should because of the whole "Adam=Female, Kaworu=Adam's soul, Kaworu=Female" reasoning. Although I know that it's similar to the Katsuragi/Kaworu connection theory that people don't like it just because there isn't enough evidence to back it up. >_< (I can see there not being enough evidence in terms of Keel seducing "Akira" and the potential semi-random fanwank(??) of Keel doing naughty things to Kaworu aspects, but everything else just seems to "click", imo.)

As a random aside, why aren't all the emoticons the board features be viewed? :huh:

Speaking of Kaworu-kun, just what should be said about his sexual orientation on his page? That some fans speculate he's gay and/or in love with Shinji and leave it at that?
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:39 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Cut to me silently crying at such things. I kinda remember that...

Eh, what?

Anyway, would F-K-kun at least be mentioned on the T&A (in before lol) page somewhere? <snip>

Dr. Nick would raise Hell. And Dr. Nick can be very unpleasant when he raises Hell. He won't even stand for the "Dr. K as donor" suggestion being allowed on any articles. (Although a formalized decision on the matter was never reached.)

But I don't want to grapple with that "shitstorm" in this particular thread.

As a random aside, why aren't all the emoticons the board features be viewed? :huh:

They're in "Smiley categories", below the bold/italic/underline/etc. buttons.

Speaking of Kaworu-kun, just what should be said about his sexual orientation on his page?

I might drop in on the discussion page with my thoughts.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:36 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Personally, I think that should because of the whole "Adam=Female, Kaworu=Adam's soul, Kaworu=Female" reasoning.

For the record, AGAIN: I do not object that reasoning. Do your homework, please.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:29 am

Dr. Nick wrote:For the record, AGAIN: I do not object that reasoning. Do your homework, please.

How's SSD supposed to know your history of anti-fem-Kaworuism?

Also, Wayne has been putting a Most Impressive amount of work into the Geektionary. I wanted others to have some input into various aspects of its revision, such as what gets the axe (aside from the obvious) and what needs to get added, that sort of thing. I put a note to this effect on the bulletin board ("Current Events"), but I doubt this thing has become established yet...

If people can show their cyber-mugs up in Geektionary Talk, Reichu would appreciate it. --~~~~
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:59 am

Reichu wrote:How's SSD supposed to know your history of anti-fem-Kaworuism?

What she posted seemed to imply two things: that she's aware of fem-Kaworu being a "banned item" of sorts, but also that she doesn't have a clear idea of why this is so. I apologize if this was a misinterpretation on my part, but as a person who was involved in - and is ashamed of - that particular mess, I would appreciate it if people did their research instead of bringing up old, resolved issues that should remain buried. It's the same reason you want to explain "Time of Revelations" on the Radioactive Waste page.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:13 pm

I was intentionally avoiding the Geektionary because I thought I would be "interfering"
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:38 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:I would appreciate it if people did their research instead of bringing up old, resolved issues that should remain buried.

I don't even think the archive is sufficiently complete for such "research" to be possible. :uhh: The f-K mess bled out into threads beyond its origin; the "omniscient narrator" bit didn't come up in "Rei, Kaworu, and Everything in Between".

AHHHHHH GOOOOOOOOD TIIIIIIIMES.

V wrote:I was intentionally avoiding the Geektionary because I thought I would be "interfering"

How's that?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:37 pm

It's hard to do any type of research when ANF purged all their older threads and EMF's been down for God knows how long already. >_< (If I had Aaron's stapler, I'd use it to beat the server/whatever the hell the problem is back into shape!)

Anyway, the only reasons I know about why people don't like Fem-Kaworu: 1) Kaworu's referred to as "he" throughout the times he appears.
2) The censoring of where Kaworu's genitals would be could just be taken as typical censoring and not that he's missing any "boy parts" (e.g: 24 Bath scene and 26' GNK).
3) Lack of any other evidence to back it up (IIRC that is) besides the Adam=Female fact. As well as the point that Kaworu loving Shinji doesn't have to be romantic either way (Kaworu being male or female), but as the 1st/17th Angel loving Shinji and the rest of the Lilin. Aww. :kimochi:

Geektionary Talk

Are you talking about replying to the discussion sections of various pages? I've been doing that when I can.

Eh, what?

I meant it sucks how Fem-Kaworu was so poorly received. I really wish people would give your theories more of a chance (same goes for other fan's thoughts on things) even if their just theories. ...Though I could be saying this partially because I think I had one or two theories on things that I've since long forgotten...
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:49 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:It's hard to do any type of research when ANF purged all their older threads

We have a decent number of them backed-up, and Ornette's in charge of archiving. Could theoretically start a thread here where people submit their requests. ("Can you put up any threads that blah blah blah?")

and EMF's been down for God knows how long already. >_<

This is rather annoying, yes.

Anyway, the only reasons I know about why people don't like Fem-Kaworu

Dr. Nick considers the fact that Misato As Omniscient Narrator refers to Kaworu as "boy" in the #23 preview completely conclusive, "nothing more said".

Adam=Female

Which could be considered a shitstorm in and of itself.

Are you talking about replying to the discussion sections of various pages?

Yeah, Geektionary Talk = The Geektionary's discussion page.

I meant it sucks how Fem-Kaworu was so poorly received.

In retrospect, it would be unrealistic to expect anything else.

I really wish people would give your theories more of a chance

Enough of them are part of the collective consciousness now that I'd say the reception of f-K and a couple of others were "exceptional".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:25 pm

Bumping this to inquire about the current multipage structure of the Geektionary. Personally, I don't think this is working and I feel the entire Geektionary would be better off placed in a single page, as it was of old. What are people's thoughts on this?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”