The Welcome Thread

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

The Welcome Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:08 am

It's, like, a welcome thread -- the forum felt naked without one. You've probably seen these before. If you're new in town, introduce yourself, even though people probably know who you are. The answers to these specific questions would be particularly "useful":

(1) What do you like about Evangelion the most? (I.e., what are your favorite aspects of the show?)
(2) The inverse.
(3) What would you consider your foci and/or "specialties"?
Last edited by Reichu on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:11 pm

Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:32 pm

V, I'm going to go out on a limb here (as rickety as it is) and guess that you like V for Vendetta. :um:

I'm me and have been me for as long as I can remember. I'm known throughout the webberspace by my various monikers, but specifically on Eva sites as this particular one - which translates to Eva Bodyguard. If you don't know me then I guess I haven't professed my love for Eva enough. *sigh* I feel most honored to be at the humble services of the great lords and masters of the beast known as Neon Genesis / Shin Seiki Evangelion. I will do my duty to the best of my abilities until I am slain by a might dragon or alien or until I just get bored with you people. :)
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:37 pm

V, I'm going to go out on a limb here (as rickety as it is) and guess that you like V for Vendetta.

Verily

Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:41 pm

KnT, BobBQ -- don't be shy! Say hello!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:36 pm

@Reaichu's avatar: I didn't know Katsuragi-hakase smoked... someone should tell him that it's bad for his health. -o-;

Anyway, I am Katayoku no Tenshi, the man who named himself after a song in a game he never owned and took a day to work out how to register on the wiki ... despite being told what to do beforehand. :uhh: Why did you want me here again Reichu?

Now in spite of my better(?) judgement I am one of Reichu’s loyal minions… I wonder if there is a mental health plan? :tonguegrin:
I kid because I care. :lol:
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:42 pm

Katayoku no Tenshi wrote:I didn't know Katsuragi-hakase smoked... someone should tell him that it's bad for his health. -o-;

Oh, that pipe just blows bubbles. But he does drink too much sometimes.

...what? :bigeyes:

Why did you want me here again Reichu?

As in, "Why me?", or "Now that I'm here WTF do I do?"
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:03 pm

As in, "Why me?", or "Now that I'm here WTF do I do?"

Well those, but mostly 'What good is the guy that takes a day to figure out how to register an account.' -o-;

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Re: The Welcome Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:33 pm

Nice edit... Sneaky Reichu. ;)

(1) Almost everything. If forced to make a list from favorite to least favorite I'd have to first define everything that makes up NGE, and that alone would be hard.

When I think of NGE the FIRST thing that jumps into my mind is "artistic greatness". If art exists not just to express ideas and emotions but to make others feel those same emotions/ideas vicariously through the piece, then that is what NGE did best for me. To say I get Anno's message is an understatement. I don't "get" it, I lived it. So in that sense I think it impacted me the most.

But, if the rest wasn't interesting then I wouldn't still be here. :)

(2) Very minor things. After listening to almost everything Yoko Kanno's done the music doesn't impress me like it originally did. I wish they would've focused more on developing Rei as a character herself. As a symbolic symbol I think she's great, as a character... meh. Minor things in the narrative, especially earlier on I would've liked better development of ideas that paid of later (can't have too much of a good thing, right?)

(3) I think I explained this but: I love all the theories that go into NGE's more "unexplainable" elements. I also love the analysis part. All the extra contextual and artistic elements. The "What makes NGE great?" parts.

I also find the views of those who don't like it fascinating. If there's one thing I'd like to personally accomplish with this EvaWiki project it's to perhaps turn some non-fans towards understanding the series better. Many can't get past their own short-sidedness regarding much of the more... unpleasant aspects of NGE. My one hope is that this Wiki addressed those aspects to perhaps lead the un-converted to, if nothing else, a better understanding of it.

Sorry for my absence today but this will likely be my last post until atleast tomorrow. I'm not ignoring or shirking my own duties (I'm rather excited about starting work on this), but a bunch of real work (ya know, the money earning kind) came up and I'm dealing with it as I type. :uhh:
Last edited by Eva Yojimbo on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:50 pm

Reichu wrote:KnT, BobBQ -- don't be shy! Say hello!

Yeah, yeah.

I still don't know what I'm doing here.

(1) What do you like about Evangelion the most? (I.e., what are your favorite aspects of the show?)
(2) The inverse.

1: The tech, the characters.
2: The sloppy continuity and poorly thought-out backstory.
3: Technology in NGE, politics in NGE.

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:05 pm

Reichu wrote:(1) What do you like about Evangelion the most? (I.e., what are your favorite aspects of the show?)
(2) The inverse.

Was this always in the first post? ZOMG ninja edit!

1. The characters. I'm not a brave super alien killing hero, I don't know anyone that is. It's nice to see a protagonist that doesn’t wade in saying lololol violence!!! ... once in a while. Not to mention that seeing Shinji makes me feel somewhat less pathetic.
2. The ... production? Like BobBQ said, weird little continuity errors that detract from the story, especially when you notice them while watching and spend the next minute thinking about them.
3. That's not even a word! :raz: It's actually easier to think of things I can't do. If my practice over the last few days has told me anything it's that I don't want to be a professional encyclopaedia writer. Although my brain does tend to prioritise random trivia over useful knowledge. This may yet prove to be a useful trait.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:05 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:(2) Very minor things. After listening to almost everything Yoko Kanno's done he music doesn't impress me like it originally did.

Wait, what? Kanno worked on Eva?

If there's one thing I'd like to personally accomplish with this EvaWiki project it's to perhaps turn some non-fans towards understanding the series better. Many can't get past their own short-sidedness regarding much of the more... unpleasant aspects of NGE. My one hope is that this Wiki addressed those aspects to perhaps lead the un-converted to, if nothing else, a better understanding of it.

I can already imagine our radio ad: "Don't like Eva? Noooooo problem! Now You too can learn to hate it for the right reasons!"

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:56 pm

BobBQ wrote:I still don't know what I'm doing here.

Hopefully you'll be put to purposeful work very soon.

2: The sloppy continuity and poorly thought-out backstory.

Aww, but fanwanking is so much fun!

3: Technology in NGE, politics in NGE.

Does "technology" include "random ordnance" and "politics" include "military miscellany"?

You seem like just the man to get those kinds of articles in shape (or conjure them into existence). WE NEED YOU, NATCHAN!!!

As for KnT, you were called here Because I Have a Need For You, as well.

Dr. Nick wrote:Wait, what? Kanno worked on Eva?

I think Jimbo is comparing Sagisu to Kanno and dreaming of how awesome NGE would be with a Kanno soundtrack. With the Warsaw Philharmonic Chorus wailing "EVAN...GELION!!! EVAN...GELION!!!" and Latin-esque gibberish during bloody battle sequences, and everything.

Actually, Sagisu originals rearranged/"reinterpreted" by Kanno would be rather... interesting.

"Don't like Eva? Noooooo problem! Now You too can learn to hate it for the right reasons!"

I love you, Niko.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:08 am

Dr. Nick wrote:
Wait, what? Kanno worked on Eva?
You misunderstood (I didn't type that well): After recently watching many series that Kanno worked on, I don't find the music in Eva as appealing as I used to (BEFORE I heard Kanno's work).

Dr. Nick wrote:I can already imagine our radio ad: "Don't like Eva? Noooooo problem! Now You too can learn to hate it for the right reasons!"
Well, hating it for the RIGHT reasons is better than hating it for the WRONG reasons! :hahaha:

Reichu wrote:I think Jimbo is comparing Sagisu to Kanno and dreaming of how awesome NGE would be with a Kanno soundtrack. With the Warsaw Philharmonic Chorus wailing "EVAN...GELION!!! EVAN...GELION!!!" and Latin-esque gibberish during bloody battle sequences, and everything.
YES! :)

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:11 pm

Reichu wrote:
BobBQ wrote:I still don't know what I'm doing here.

Hopefully you'll be put to purposeful work very soon.

Because, as we both know, without purpose... we would not exist.

Aww, but fanwanking is so much fun!

And too much oxygen can kill you.

Does "technology" include "random ordnance" and "politics" include "military miscellany"?

Includes but is not limited to.

You seem like just the man to get those kinds of articles in shape (or conjure them into existence). WE NEED YOU, NATCHAN!!!

I'm XBOX BUYS right now, but I'll see what I can smack together. Maybe a nice page on Japan's Waffen-SS, for a start?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:39 pm

BobBQ wrote:Maybe a nice page on Japan's Waffen-SS, for a start?

If that was ever mentioned in the show, I totally missed it... At this point, I'm thinking of things like the SSDF, United Nations, (Special Agency) Nerv, various "toys" belonging to / utilized by said organizations, and so on.

I wonder where this sort of discussion should go.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:13 pm

Reichu wrote:If that was ever mentioned in the show, I totally missed it.

You need to brush up on your history.

And yes, we could use a discussion topic on that.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:41 pm

BobBQ wrote:
Reichu wrote:If that was ever mentioned in the show, I totally missed it.

You need to brush up on your history.

I'm not sure what IRL history has to do with what gets a self-titled article in an NGE Wiki-thing or not.

There will be a page for this kind of discussion coming up, methinks.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:13 pm

Reichu wrote:I'm not sure what IRL history has to do with what gets a self-titled article in an NGE Wiki-thing or not.

(Headdesk!)

The SSDF is Japan's equivalent of the Waffen-Schutzstaffel.

Trust me, it's actually a very apt comparison.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:37 pm

I do not believe that the JSSDF is directly comparable to the military arm of the Nazi SS.

However, there is an article on the "Men in Black" now, the NERV Department of Security Intelligence
Who is "Codename V"?....

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”