The Wiki Thread (General)

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:39 pm

Well, I replaced any "In Rebuild" title by a "In Evangelion New Theatrical Version" one, be it on the character, Eva, events or organization pages. :ritsuko_mug:

I may have missed one or two, if someone stumble on them, don't hesitate to change it!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:03 pm

Well, wow. Good work!

The reason we continued to use "Rebuild" instead of "Evangelion New Theatrical Edition" or "New Movie Edition" or "NTE" is simple enough - everyone in western fandom calls it "Rebuild" and there's no way that it's going to be replaced anytime soon. The discovery that it was "Evangelion New Movie Edition" in English and not "Rebuild" caused considerable consternation when we discovered it, but none of us bothered to change it for the simple reason that "Rebuild" as a name was solidly entrenched in fandom.

So whether or not this move causes confusion among our (non-forumgoing) readers remains to be seen...
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:09 am

Right, but unlike the forum (which can't be changed without considerable difficulty) the wiki can be edited to reflect the actual name of the series bit by bit over time. There's no reason not to do it when we're in the midst of larger edits, and it's very simple to boot. As such I think it's something that should be encouraged at every opportunity.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:03 am

I'll add something about it tomorrow, when I'm more awake. This is assuming somebody doesn't beat me to it in the night.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:04 am

Wait as sec, it's "NEw Theatrical Edition" and not Version?!

Awwwww fuuuuuuuuuuuuu...
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:13 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Wait as sec, it's "NEw Theatrical Edition" and not Version?!

Awwwww fuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

I think the Japanese is typically rendered "version". We often call is the "New Theatrical Edition" or "New Movie Edition" though.

Edit: nope, looking through that thread it looks like "New Theatrical Edition" is correct after all.
Last edited by Bagheera on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:42 am

Relevant old threads regarding the name -

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/9118/Subforum-Title-Change/60/?
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/9132/Subforum-Title-Change-again/?
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/12387/Rebuild-vs-NME/0/?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:20 am

Yeah, it's New Theatrical Edition. At the very lease, NTE sounds a bit better than NME.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:43 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Yeah, it's New Theatrical Edition. At the very lease, NTE sounds a bit better than NME.

No way! Say them out loud. "NME" flows off the tongue and is way funnier.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:47 pm

Hehe, "Enemy."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:06 am

Mediawiki was upgraded. It was upgraded from a legacy version but still supported so it shouldn't be too bad.

Post here if there's something broken.

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:34 pm

So, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't want to make a brand new thread for just this. I'm editing this page. The scene column is meant to link in such a way that when you load the page, it jumps right to the cut the music starts playing in. I've replicated the way that such a thing is written in previous entries, but my links don't jump to the cut, they just load the page. Is there something I'm missing here? Also, sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:03 pm

It's not something that you did, it seems for whatever reason, the Episode 7 FGC page doesn't have the table ID's so the URL fragments aren't going to jump to the cut number.

Not sure why this is broken for Episode 7 (maybe it's broken for others too).

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:30 pm

Is there a way to fix it? I'd be more than happy to do the fixing if taught how, especially if it's a problem for more than just that episode. I noticed it also happened when I added one to episode 3, but I figured it might be because the cut had an "A" in it as well. (In case you couldn't tell, I really have no idea how all of this works.)

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:34 pm

Oh, that's an old bug of the upload scripts. We fixed it somewhere around Episode 11. Basically, the upload scripts didn't set the "episode" and "cutname" properties of the FGC:Cut template correctly.

I fixed by hand all the cuts other pages (especially Music in Chronological Order of Usage) linked to a few years ago.

Examples:

Episode 10, scene 01, cut 001 - broken
[code:1]<noinclude>
{{FGC:Scene
|cuts=
</noinclude>{{FGC:Cut|episode=
|cutname=
|images=[/code:1]
Episode 11, scene 01, cut 001 - working
[code:1]<noinclude>
{{FGC:Scene
|cuts=
</noinclude>{{FGC:Cut|episode=11
|cutname=001
|images=[/code:1]

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:08 pm

Sounds easy enough. I'll take care of it regarding the cuts I'm linking to. If I feel especially generous in the future, I might do the same for all of the cuts.

....maybe.

EDIT: Except I don't have permission to edit that page. I promise to be completely responsible while editing the FGC pages and all that, if I can be granted that permission.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:43 am

On the "Recent Changes" page, the options for increasing the number of days and changes it displays have vanished. Was this on purpose?

EDIT: Now the entire Wiki seems to be down; is there some sort of maintenance going on?

EDIT Again: The problem seems to be with Chrome; the Wiki is working normally in Explorer. In chrome it's displaying the page titles but no contents!
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:59 pm

It's down for me too, and I'm on Firefox.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:02 pm

Isn't OMF in the middle of working on it or something?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:15 pm

He and Ornette, I think.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”