The Wiki Thread (General)

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:21 pm

The policy has always been to use "children" because it apparently comes straight from Gainax that it is the official term.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:34 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:The policy has always been to use "children" because it apparently comes straight from Gainax that it is the official term.

But is this really a wise choice for a wiki meant for a wider audience? Should canonicity take precedence over accessibility. If the goal of the wiki is to invite and inform, then deeper fan or Gainax terminology may be too technical for the presentation.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:35 pm

I guess we should include a "Casual" version, and an "advanced" version, so that we could appeal to both audiences. This may take up more space then we need though on the server.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:21 pm

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but I don't think that would be a good idea. In any case, we already have casual/advanced wikis in the form of the main wiki pages, and the T&A and Commentary pages. At least, that's my understanding.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:47 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:We already have casual/advanced wikis in the form of the main wiki pages

Then why do we not accommodate the words "Child" and "Children" to those wikis? If this is the case, why is this even being discussed?

The word "Children" should be used in the advanced wikis, and the word "Child" should be used in the casual wikis. Any "advanced" fans would know that the terminology is "Children", and casual fans probably wouldn't go so far as to read the advanced pages unless they wish to become advanced through wiki sources. In this case, we should probably create a terminology page in order to explain this. If there already is a page designed to explain specific terminology, we should place the words and their terminology in there.

That is as simple an solution there is, if we want to accommodate to both parties. It's more work, but it will solve the problem much better than choosing one word over the other.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:09 pm

But is everyone agreed that the main Wiki pages, like [url]http://wiki.evageeks.org/Shinji_Ikari[/url] are in fact "casual"/"introductary" pages. My feeling is yes, but I need to confirm this.

Actually, I was thinking of doing a little wiki editing in the near future, so perhaps I'll change the terms while editing and we can discuss/revert them later if need be.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:43 pm

I really don't think the "Child/Children" terminology will cause any confusion to someone with enought intelligence to appreciate a series. Besides, they'll surely learn why we use "Children" eventually anyways, considering they must be in the wiki to learn more about Evangelion.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:20 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:But is everyone agreed that the main Wiki pages, like [url]http://wiki.evageeks.org/Shinji_Ikari[/url] are in fact "casual"/"introductary" pages.

We could say things such as, "Shinji Ikari is the Third Child (canonically called the Third Children)." I'm sure that there is a better word than "canonically", but it's what I got for now.
The Moats of Quotes

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:52 am

If we have a Child/Children explanation page, then when saying "Asuka is the Second Children", the "Children" can be a link to that, at least for the first substantive use on a page.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:09 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:If we have a Child/Children explanation page, then when saying "Asuka is the Second Children", the "Children" can be a link to that, at least for the first substantive use on a page.

That sounds like the way to go.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:52 pm

A few minor alternations have been made to the wiki stylesheets.

Firstly, the search bar has been moved up to the top of the page. Let me know if there are problems with this redesign.
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Main_Page

Secondly, the collapsible additional commentary feature is now working again on FGC pages (hopefully). Again, tell me if there are problems.
http://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_05_Cut_101

Note that due to the page caching system, some of these changes may not take effect until the relevant pages are updated, so some older pages may seem a bit off until then.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:38 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Firstly, the search bar has been moved up to the top of the page. Let me know if there are problems with this redesign.

That was long overdue, it doesn't mean much to me but for newcomers it will be much better, I remember thinking there wasn't a search bar the first few times I was on the wiki due to it being so far down. I don't know if it was meant to be like this but the search bar on the bottom remains, it wasn't really moved up, there's just a new one on the top of the page now.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:47 pm

I think it would be good if it were larger, if possible. Now it's noticeable, which is a considerable improvement from how it was before, but having it a bit larger may help it be even more noticeable.
The Moats of Quotes

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:51 pm

It's hard to change the width without breaking the css. I think it's in the right place to get noticed now. If this really becomes a problem, i.e. people keep asking where the search bar is, then I'll try changing it again. But right now Mediawiki has me worn out. It's actually a nightmare to get this working.

As a consequence, I'd appreciate people checking the wiki on as many browsers as they can to make sure it's displaying correctly on as wise a selection as possible. In particular, I'd like if people could check how the wiki now looks on the various IE version if possible.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:57 pm

It looks fine to me, OMF. Thanks for your efforts! I'll check some IEs at work tomorrow if no one beats me to it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:19 pm

Yes, the collapsible additional comments are working now, thank you.

In Explorer the pagetop search box looks fine. In Google Chrome, the top bar (my talk, my preferences, my watchlist, my contributions, log out, ect.) is overlapping the searchbox slightly. Also, the new searchbox has no "go" button to go straight to the page you want. You have to search and then select the page from the results.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Damaijin
Embryo

Spelling error

•      
  •      

Postby Damaijin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:22 pm

In the wiki.evageeks.org/Rei_Ayanami_(In-Depth)#Episodes_1_to_8 section, one point reads:

During End of Evangelion it is revealed that Eva-01 has blur hair, the same as Rei.

It's the "blue".

Also, I'd like to offer a re-word for the point, since it's a bit awkward with the "the same as Rei" separated at the end:

During End of Evangelion, it is revealed that Eva-01 has the same blue-colored hair that Rei does.

or

During End of Evangelion, it is revealed that Eva-01 has the same blue-colored hair as Rei.
Ben

Damaijin
Embryo

Episode 16 Error

•      
  •      

Postby Damaijin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:35 pm

In the Episode 16 Analysis section, it says:

Rei and Yui utter the same line, "So, yokatta mane."

The line is "そう. 善かったわね." / "Sou. Yokatta wane."

"W", not "M" / わね - expresses depth of feeling or emphasism (sentence end)

4/4/2013
I thought it was the Notes. It was actually the Analysis section.
Last edited by Damaijin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:11 pm

The Moats of Quotes

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:52 pm

I can get to it fine. If you're trying to hotlink it somewhere else, the wiki will give you an error.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”