The Wiki Thread (General)

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:08 pm

I am posting in this thread because I am not sure the subject I'm posting about warrants it's own thread. A few months ago, I purchased a copy of the two-disc edition of the soundtrack to 2.22. Since I'm not aware of anyone else owning a copy, I thought that I might write an article for the wiki later on this winter when I have the time.

I have already looked at the various articles on the soundtracks on the wiki, so I know what I can put in, but is there anything else that the rest of you feel should be in there? While I can't read Japanese, the CD booklet does have other items that I can discern such as the lyrics to several songs in English and what appears to be the piano arrangement for some of the songs (I am not a music person, so I'm not sure). Any advice on this subject would be appreaciated. Thanks beforehand for your answers.

Deepak
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Deepak » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:24 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I am posting in this thread because I am not sure the subject I'm posting about warrants it's own thread. A few months ago, I purchased a copy of the two-disc edition of the soundtrack to 2.22. Since I'm not aware of anyone else owning a copy, I thought that I might write an article for the wiki later on this winter when I have the time.

I believe you are referring to this article http://wiki.evageeks.org/Evangelion:_2.0_You_Can_%28Not%29_Advance_Original_Soundtrack

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:03 pm

I upgraded MediaWiki due to CVE-2012-1578 through 1582. Everything seems to be in order but let me know if something behaves differently.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:11 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I upgraded MediaWiki due to CVE-2012-1578 through 1582. Everything seems to be in order but let me know if something behaves differently.

When I tried to go the wiki, I got this.

A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:
(SQL query hidden)
from within function "Revision::fetchFromConds". Database returned error "1054: Unknown column 'rev_sha1' in 'field list' (magi.evageeks.org)".

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:16 pm

What's the link that you tried to go to?

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:30 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:What's the link that you tried to go to?

I hit the Wiki button from the forum for the first attempt.

The second attempt I tried to go to the site through google, and got the same result.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:43 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:I hit the Wiki button from the forum for the first attempt.

The second attempt I tried to go to the site through google, and got the same result.

I tried both and everything comes up fine. Even tried it on my phone, a mac and windows using 3 different browsers.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:45 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I tried both and everything comes up fine. Even tried it on my phone, a mac and windows using 3 different browsers.

Yeah, I guess it was just me. It's working fine now for me too. Sorry bout that.

father
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby father » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:40 am

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread to propose a change to a specific wiki page, but I'm sure someone can direct me in another direction if necessary.

The wiki page I am referring to is Theory and Analysis:Kaworu's Agenda
( http://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_Analysis:Kaworu%27s_Agenda#p-navigation )

Listed under Kaworu & Shinji is a conversation that lists Keel stating "Our only choice is to make changes with our own hands for the future. I will be praying that Unit 01 will accomplish its task."
That statement is used for the rationale behind the idea that the task Seele wants Eva-01 to complete is to prevent Kaworu from having contact with Lilith. This is specifically mentioned on the page under A Smile of Betrayal.

I'm suggesting that Seele doesn't necessarily want Shinji to prevent Kaworu from contacting Lilith, rather, Seele is hoping that Shinji will choose their desired form of Instrumentality when Kaworu does make contact with Lilith. Instrumentality seems to hinge on the choice of a being outside of the Lilith/Adam as evidenced in EOE. Shinji and Eva-01 would be easily accessible to Lilith/Adam to propose this choice to. Furthermore, given that Kaworu soul would be making first contact (as opposed to Rei's as happened in EOE), Lilith/Adam/Kaworu would have likely chosen Shinji given the relationship between Kaworu and Shinji. Seele was likely banking on Shinji's loneliness leading him to choose all Lilin souls uniting to create one being.

This may contradict Seele's motives in Classified Information, yet Seele may have chosen this version of instrumentality hastily in order to prevent Gendo's plans. And Seele does appear to embrace the Rei-and-Shinji controlled Instrumentality that ultimately happens anyway. Once Kaworu fails, Seele uses the Mass Produced Evas to utilize Shinji and Eva-01 to again envision their own version of Instrumentality and likely exist within the Eva Units while the rest of the human population becomes whole inside Black Moon, though this is superseded by Lilith/Adam/Rei.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:34 am

This is the right forum.

I think I understand your theory correctly: It's somehow a rule that Adam and/or Lilith has to give someone else the choice as to whether to go through with Instrumentality, and what form it should take (temporarily or permanent, souls in the Black Moon or in the Evas)?

The consensus here has always been Shinji was given that choice because Rei/Lilith wanted it that way, not because she had no other choice. Before we make such a radical change you need to strengthen your case by providing some evidence that Kaworu would have been forced to put Shinji or some other human in charge. Kaworu's dialogue, "Erase me or be erased", doesn't seem to indicate that he would be giving Shinji a choice once Instrumentality started. Instead, he gave Shinji a chance to stop Instrumentality by killing him before he could start it.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Something I noticed - Asuka's Rebuild article has an exact height, mentioning an official chart as the source.

So far, all we ever had are estimates based on Misato's height and a scetch without exact numbers.
If there's an official chart, it should have exact numbers for everyone else who made it into Rebuild. What do you guys think about putting them into the articles?

Even if you argue that it's Rebuild-specific (which would imply that Anno & co. actually concerned themselves with questions like "What if we make them an inch shorter for the big screen") at least Mari's article should get her height added.

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote: Kaworu's dialogue, "Erase me or be erased", doesn't seem to indicate that he would be giving Shinji a choice once Instrumentality started. Instead, he gave Shinji a chance to stop Instrumentality by killing him before he could start it.

Yup. Also, keep in mind that Rei was created for the specific purpose of giving Gendo an "explode the world however I want it"-button, as Gendo can't exactly. go and persuade a big white blob thing in a cave without any ears/mouth or sufficient understanding of human thought patterns to get that he's voicing a request - to get a choice in the matter, he had to go through the trouble of dragging out Lillith's soul, creating an artificial vessel so unnatural it's barely holding together, stuffing her in there and raising the result to be loyal to him.
Hardly seems like it says anything about the standart procedure/Lillith's normal function.
Last edited by Kendrix on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:48 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Something I noticed - Asuka's Rebuild article has an exact height, mentioning an official chart as the source.

So far, all we ever had are estimates based on Misato's height and a scetch without exact numbers.
If there's an official chart, it should have exact numbers for everyone else who made it into Rebuild. What do you guys think about putting them into the articles?

Even if you argue that it's Rebuild-specific (which would imply that Anno & co. actually concerned themselves with questions like "What if we make them an inch shorter for the big screen") at least Mari's article should get her height added.

I don't see anything wrong with adding something to the individual pages along the lines of "in the NME [character's] height is given as xxx cm" or some such. That way there's no confusion if heights changed for whatever reason between NGE and the NME.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:49 pm

Anyone else notice some exposed code on the wiki's main page?
[code:1]<keywords> <metadesc>Neon Genesis Evangelion Wiki. Fan made encyclopaedia of the landmark anime. Contains articles, images, resources, commentary and more.</metadesc> [/code:1]
Would fix it but have no idea whats it for.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:02 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:Anyone else notice some exposed code on the wiki's main page?
[code:1]<keywords> <metadesc>Neon Genesis Evangelion Wiki. Fan made encyclopaedia of the landmark anime. Contains articles, images, resources, commentary and more.</metadesc> [/code:1]
Would fix it but have no idea whats it for.

The page can only be edited by admins anyways. Since the wiki software was updated, a few extensions, mainly the meta keywords and description extensions weren't compatible. I didn't know any of the pages used them, but it looks like the maintainers released compatible versions of these extensions recently.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:02 pm

OMF's hidden comments template has stopped working. All of the comments are stuck in visible mode.

Example:

[url]http://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_05_Cut_101[/url]
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:34 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:OMF's hidden comments template has stopped working. All of the comments are stuck in visible mode.

Example:

[url]http://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_05_Cut_101[/url]

No idea what changed between the media wiki upgrades. The hidden comments are CSS/javascript, so somewhere something didn't get copied over or some old script isn't compatible with the new installation.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:36 pm

The hidden comments functionality should be restored in time, once I can get around to fixing things on the weekend.

In the meantime, what is the current editorial policy on "Child" vs "Children". Is there one? I'm aware that I may be dredging up old arguments, but I'm seeing a few "Children"'s on the wiki pages and I'm not sure if it's the best thing to display for more casual fans.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:39 pm

If we are designating this as a wiki, we should change it to "child". This would make more sense. If this is meant to be soley a database which forum users can reference, "children" would be more sufficient. It is important to be accurate (which may be a reason to keep it as "children", but if the purpose is to appeal to casual fans, we should still change it).
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:43 pm

My own feeling is that the wiki needs to be more accessible to a general audience. Child/Children is a small issue, but an important one from an objectives point of view.

I'm also thinking of revamping the current navigation system (which is poor), but that's for another thread.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:48 pm

Please, do revamp the system. It is so non-user friendly, especially that super low-key search bar. It should be one of the largest things on the page.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”