The Wiki Thread (General)

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:50 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Yeah, I've noticed your screenshoots, I was wondering if using the original resolution is fine or if it doesn't count as "fair use" (mysterious concept of the American legal system) any more.

As a general rule, I think it would be best to, as I said, resize for the purpose. With NGE, it's fine to post full-size caps if further shrinking would obscure important details, but, if nothing is lost by shrinking it 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, whatever, do that instead.

When it comes to NME and its Blu-Ray resolution, I can't think of any reason why we would need to post original resolution on the wiki (except in really rare cases). Same principles apply -- shrink it to the purpose.

I was suspecting that it comes from the Collector's Discs; if that's the case then I suppose that the picture should be reverted back.

Done.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Fine, thanks for the clarifications.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:38 pm

http://wiki.evageeks.org/File:M26LilithWingsBlackMoon.jpg <---is something I uploaded ages ago if you look at the history. It wasn't from the Collector's Discs, it was just a screenshot from the Renewal EoE DVD. The reason the aspect ratio was off or whatever is because of how it was ripped at the time (From VLC, but I sort of remember the aspect ratio wasn't the "proper" one at the time).

Unless I misread what this discussion was about, then don't mind me. If the Collector's Disc image is better quality than the Renewal screenshot, go ahead and use that. *Shrug* (Looks about the same to me quality-wise, but the Collector's Disc image is slightly bigger.)
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:45 pm

SSD: Just checked my files and confirmed for a fact that you uploaded the collector's disc version, not a renewal screenshot.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:50 pm

Huh. I'm at a loss on how I managed to get the image that small then (the size of the image in question is usually the size of my VLC Renewal screenshots). :lol: I guess during the upload, the Collector's Disc image just resized itself (since it's bigger)?

Thanks for looking into it.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:55 pm

I guess you had/ve a resized version lying around. (Resized collector's disc images are all over the Internets.) The Wiki wouldn't have done anything automatically.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:59 am

I'm having some problems uploading a file to the wiki, first I've upload a screenshoot: http://wiki.evageeks.org/File:AMX_10_RC_snapshot_dvd_EoE_00.11.00.png
And there was no problem at all (I had to re-upload it because I didn't notice that I forgot to correct the AR); after that I've uploaded a picture:
http://wiki.evageeks.org/File:AMX-10-RC.JPG
But it doesn't show up, I've also tried uploading another version (smaller but the limit is 7MB and the first one was 2.8MB):
http://wiki.evageeks.org/File:AMX-10-RC.jpg
But the problem persists. Does anyone have an explanation? Is it related to the problems that the forum is experiencing? Anyway I'd be grateful if the admins could clean my mess, just one version of the two pictures would suffice (I've started *taking responsibility* for my idea of a "Real World Military" section, after so much time... I'm going to add the missing sections and clean up things a little).

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:43 am

Wikimedia doesn't display images that large very well and it seems like they exagerate what will work. Our posting guide recomends a 153K max. [url]http://wiki.evageeks.org/EvaWiki:Boot_Camp_for_Newbies#How_to_load_images_to_the_site[/url]

This is usually fine, but it's just a guideline. If a particular image needs a little higher resoultion, that's o.k. Try cutting the resolution to 400K, and uploading it again.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:58 am

Thanks for the info, thewayneiac, I'm going to do that. Do you happen to know how is it possible that the very same image works on Wikipedia? Do they use a different/custom version of the software?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:35 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Thanks for the info, thewayneiac, I'm going to do that. Do you happen to know how is it possible that the very same image works on Wikipedia? Do they use a different/custom version of the software?

It's probably more the case that they have their own servers and don't have hinderances like per process memory and CPU limits that comes with a shared hosting service.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:54 pm

So the limits come from the hardware, thanks for the explanation, I'm completely clueless about wikimedia.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:40 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:So the limits come from the hardware, thanks for the explanation, I'm completely clueless about wikimedia.

I don't know, it's just a guess. I know that the servers regularly kill processes (specifically in this case, the fast-cgi process used to execute php) if it uses more than a certain allotment of memory. I don't even know what that is, I just get messages from time to time that my processes are being killed.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:36 pm

OK, this is a bit weird. I tried to post some pictures of Maria Vincennes on a forum I frequent thinking "Hey, why not?" and for a few hours they worked, but when I checked again they were gone. Now here I thought "Oh, I guess the site just doesn't like hotlinking. No Big, I'll just download the pictures and put them on Imageshack," but when I tried to do so I found out those pictures were FORBIDDEN! That's no joke either, the link literally says "Forbidden," and it's just the pics I originally linked to too, all the rest of the pictures are fine.

So, is this just a glitch, or a new security feature, a little known security feature, or have I just inadvertently destroyed part of the wiki?
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Going to guess it's a copy/paste flub? Hotlinking images in the wiki on other sites is disallowed, it probably appeared to work for a few hours because the actual image was cached by your browser. The "Forbidden.html" is where the wiki redirects you if you hit an image that's been refered[sic] by someone that's not evageeks, unfortunately, that page is either gone or never existed. See below:

[code:1][10:37pm][traveler-pts/9][~]> telnet wiki.evageeks.org 80
Trying 69.163.139.68...
Connected to wiki.evageeks.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /images/f/f6/Mazda_Cosmo_sport_1967.jpg HTTP/1.1
Host: wiki.evageeks.org
Connection: close
Referer: http//blahblah.notevageeks.bleh/

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 02:38:02 GMT
Server: Apache
Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Cache-Control: private, must-revalidate, max-age=0
Last-Modified: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 02:38:20 GMT
[b]Location: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Forbidden.html[/b]
Connection: close
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

Connection closed by foreign host.[/code:1]

Because of the redirect (where it says "Location:"), when you try to copy/paste the image that was hotlinked, you get the Forbidden.html page instead of the image. I'm guessing that's probably why you got that, but no idea why that was the only one when you hotlinked a bunch of them.

I guess maybe I should create a 403 page for the wiki...

Titanium
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Titanium » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:14 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Yeah, I've noticed your screenshoots, I was wondering if using the original resolution is fine or if it doesn't count as "fair use" (mysterious concept of the American legal system). Personally I prefer to keep the original resolution when it's possible (and the capture of single frame would hardly reduce the value of the original DVD/BD).

I was suspecting that it comes from the Collector's Discs; if that's the case then I suppose that the picture should be reverted back.

Regarding fair use: I believe if you use the American dub versions/American cut, it should be considered fair use.
EVANGELIONS
OG Ikari
Feat. Rei Ayanami

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:56 pm

There's a difference between taking a screenshot of the English dub version and the Japanese renewal versions (i.e. Platinum)? Don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference.

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:37 am

On the main page of the Wiki, in the "Characters" box, Gendo's name is misaligned. It's not a huge issue, but it's something that's been bugging me for a while.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:49 am

Is that better?

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:22 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Is that better?

Yeah! Thanks! I was trying to log into to the Wiki-editing system with my forum username and password so I could try to fix it myself, but it couldn't find my username in the Wiki system.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:23 am

You need to sign up here: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/4512/Scribe-Sign-Up-Sheet/

And someone will create an account for you. Do you still want an account?

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”