[Anime] Gundam shit [SPLIT]

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Zeon
Embryo

[Anime] Gundam shit [SPLIT]

•      
  •      

Postby Zeon » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:19 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Personally, I'm surprised I actually understood what you wrote due to my lack of having watched lots of Mecha shows! ^_^; (Only Voltron, Robotech and Eva in terms of that genre. Heh...)

Ooh...

Off-topic, but it sounds like someone here needs to watch First Gundam...

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:38 pm

ZETA.

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:10 pm

Zeon wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:Personally, I'm surprised I actually understood what you wrote due to my lack of having watched lots of Mecha shows! ^_^; (Only Voltron, Robotech and Eva in terms of that genre. Heh...)

Ooh...

Off-topic, but it sounds like someone here needs to watch First Gundam...

Agreed. Mobile Suit Gundam is good stuff. Char's Counterattack was also a great movie with the greatest instance of "fan service" that exists in my mind: Spoilers for those who have not seen it! Beware!

Quess dies!!

/end spoilers .

I was smiling for the rest of the week.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:12 am

Gundam is awesome. That is all.

Well, old-school Gundam, at least.

Zeon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeon » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:02 am

chee wrote:ZETA.

Well, yes, that comes next...

You can't skip First Gundam.

Apathetic Piggy wrote:Agreed. Mobile Suit Gundam is good stuff. Char's Counterattack was also a great movie with the greatest instance of "fan service" that exists in my mind: Spoilers for those who have not seen it! Beware!

Quess dies!!

/end spoilers .

Yes, CCA is also great, though I didn't care for how twisted Char got. He was my favorite anime character but he turned kind of evil... Still, it's a great movie with some great animation and a fitting conclusion to the Amuro-Char saga.

Little-known fact: Hideaki Anno did some of the mecha designs (the ships) for CCA.

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:54 am

Zeon wrote:
chee wrote:ZETA.

Well, yes, that comes next...

You can't skip First Gundam.

Apathetic Piggy wrote:Agreed. Mobile Suit Gundam is good stuff. Char's Counterattack was also a great movie with the greatest instance of "fan service" that exists in my mind: Spoilers for those who have not seen it! Beware!

Quess dies!!

/end spoilers .

Yes, CCA is also great, though I didn't care for how twisted Char got. He was my favorite anime character but he turned kind of evil... Still, it's a great movie with some great animation and a fitting conclusion to the Amuro-Char saga.

Little-known fact: Hideaki Anno did some of the mecha designs (the ships) for CCA.

Heh, his thing for younger women.

Also, didn't know that about Anno. That being said, whoever was responsible for the aforementioned scene (Quess)... I will have their babies.

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:50 pm

chee wrote:Gundam is awesome. That is all.

Well, old-school Gundam, at least.

No! Just more Gundam, Gundam, Gundam.

I love UC *and* AU Gundam, dammit....not every series I've seen, but most of them.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:40 pm

Eeeeh...most of the AU Gundam i've seen hasn't impressed me.

However, I like the initial concept behind G Gundam; it's a fresh, interesting approach (It's basically super robots filtered through a real-robots mindset- or perhaps it's the other way around?), and the cockpit designs actually make sense. However, what little I actually saw of the execution did not leave me with a desire to see any more. Plus, although I know that G isn't entirely meant to be taken seriously, but COME ON- some of the mobile suit designs are butt-ugly to the extreme, just as ugly as SEED's, but in a different way.

Wing just gets more and more stupid the older I get- which is a shame, because I normally like those sorts of twisty, philosophical storylines. (Hence my fondness for NGE and Mamoru Oshii movies*.)

X and Turn-A I am witholding judgement on (because I haven't seen them), but I hear good things about them

SEED its sequel, on the other hand, I have no desire to watch. I've heard enough about it to decide that they're poorly written, and seen enough clips and images to decide that its visually butt-ugly. It's great parody material, though, and has SOME good ideas.

And who is Quess but a charisma-less, amoral Asuka? ...Okay, so maybe i'm grasping straws here, but there ARE similarities.

(Not to mention that I get slight Manga Shinji vibes from Hathaway...and Bright and Gendo are both crappy parents who put their work first.)

*Seriously, Mamoru Oshii is IMHO the greatest anime director alive. He's better than Miyazaki, in my opinion. (Miyazaki's stuff after Princess Mononoke hasn't been as interesting as his earlier work in my opinion. I think he sort hit his peak with that one.)

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:33 pm

chee wrote:
And who is Quess but a charisma-less, amoral Asuka? ...Okay, so maybe i'm grasping straws here, but there ARE similarities.

Granted, but I found her annoying. "I like Amuro but he doesn't like me so I'll bitch and whine then go with Char. Oh I'm so evil, everyone has to die. Whine, bitch, nag, I'm nine years old and fantastic."

I also am a known hater of children, so that bumped it up. Asuka had her psychological issues. Quess was just Quess. Now, if Asuka wasn't as mentally screwed over, younger, and went to the side of the Angels then she'd be Quess. But yes, Asuka's character had some sort of charisma so I actually liked her.

Quess reminds me why I like unfortunate things to befall children.

Zeon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeon » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:39 pm

Apathetic Piggy wrote:Heh, his thing for younger women.

That's actually not at all what I was talking about but, yeah, that's kind of creepy too.

chee wrote:Eeeeh...most of the AU Gundam i've seen hasn't impressed me.

However, I like the initial concept behind G Gundam; it's a fresh, interesting approach (It's basically super robots filtered through a real-robots mindset- or perhaps it's the other way around?), and the cockpit designs actually make sense. However, what little I actually saw of the execution did not leave me with a desire to see any more. Plus, although I know that G isn't entirely meant to be taken seriously, but COME ON- some of the mobile suit designs are butt-ugly to the extreme, just as ugly as SEED's, but in a different way.

Wing just gets more and more stupid the older I get- which is a shame, because I normally like those sorts of twisty, philosophical storylines. (Hence my fondness for NGE and Mamoru Oshii movies*.)

X and Turn-A I am witholding judgement on (because I haven't seen them), but I hear good things about them

SEED its sequel, on the other hand, I have no desire to watch. I've heard enough about it to decide that they're poorly written, and seen enough clips and images to decide that its visually butt-ugly. It's great parody material, though, and has SOME good ideas.

AU Gundam series quick opinions:

G Gundam: Incredibly silly; mindless; no redeeming qualities outside of humor
Gundam Wing: Ripoff of UC with 95% bishonen cast, but not entirely horrible
Gundam X: Never seen (looks weak, got cancelled)
Turn A Gundam: Never seen (looks good, I like Tomino)
Gundam Seed: Ripoff of UC with a few redeeming qualities
Gundam Seed Destiny: Ripoff of UC with no redeeming qualities

I prefer the Universal Century Gundam stories.
"I've never had any cherished dreams or ambitions. I don't aspire to any future profession or career."

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:24 am

Now it's what 0083 would call "Threadjack"....

I admit, Seed bored me and I didn't get past the first episode.

I loved G-Gundam because it was such funny crack, and as a Canadian I can't help but love Andrew Graham and the Lumber Gundam, even though they bought into the stereotype that Canada is somehow "primitive". :roll:

Wing was a lot of personal firsts for me, especially my first Gundam series, and that makes it weirdly sacred to me.

Hey, Zeon, what's wrong with a "95% bishounen" cast? To me it's extremely cool that anime characters don't have to be macho men to be great fighters. In fact Quatre struck me as one of the more heroic characters in the series, because he had personal objections to overcome.

When the kids' series Superior Defender Gundam came over here, I admit I LoL'd because it was such bad, bad, crack. I even have the little Zaku II figure from there. I'd like to see the real SD Gundam someday, though,.

Turn-A sounds like an absolutely wonderful series, and I can't wait until it gets an R1 release in some form.

For UC, I only had access to First Gundam via the movies, but I thought those were great and I'd love to see the whole series someday.

I loved War in the Pocket, and 08th MS Team, though the second one I didn't manage to find the last volume for. I found Stardust Destiny to be rather dull.

On Topic: Uh...I like Shinji....
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:37 am

All this Gundam talk must die :twisted:

Or at least be split to a new thread
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:01 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:
Sorry for the n00b question- which Anime does Quess come from? I haven't heard the name.

She's from Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack.

UrsusArctos wrote:Do I want unfortunate things to befall children? Maybe. I've had unfortunate things happen to me as a child that I've never been able to get over. I've lived most of my life in a state of worrying about others and getting agitated all the time...and that has had horrible enough effects. Revenge on my 9-11 year old self seems logical in a twisted sort of way...I hate kids because I hate how I was as a kid. To me, Asuka's problems are nothing wierd.

I was a bit of hellspawn myself, actually. As for the age, I can't say. Every year I start to dislike even older children as well as younger. Perhaps I have no soul.

Back on topic, it was blood. For him, that was the affirmation that Misato really did just die (I'm sure the subsequent explosion sealed the deal, if he heard it). Poor Shinji; every woman he kisses dies.

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:06 pm

every woman he kisses dies.

Man, that would be the worst superpower to have...
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

shinesman_cobalt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby shinesman_cobalt » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:29 pm

Indigo Arcangel wrote:
every woman he kisses dies.

Man, that would be the worst superpower to have...
Not nesicarrily. Depends on who your supervillians are. XD
"What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks!?"

Zeon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeon » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:03 am

I don't mean to derail the thread or anything, but I can't not reply to what was posted to me... you can split it if you want >_>

Incisivis wrote:Now it's what 0083 would call "Threadjack"....

I admit, Seed bored me and I didn't get past the first episode.

I loved G-Gundam because it was such funny crack, and as a Canadian I can't help but love Andrew Graham and the Lumber Gundam, even though they bought into the stereotype that Canada is somehow "primitive". :roll:

Lots of stereotypes in G Gundam. Tequila Gundam, anyone?

Incisivis wrote:Wing was a lot of personal firsts for me, especially my first Gundam series, and that makes it weirdly sacred to me.

Hey, Zeon, what's wrong with a "95% bishounen" cast? To me it's extremely cool that anime characters don't have to be macho men to be great fighters. In fact Quatre struck me as one of the more heroic characters in the series, because he had personal objections to overcome.

Everything is wrong with it. The whole cast is made up of emotionally detached scene kids and they're unbearable. It's not at all about being macho, it's about being interesting. Treize was pretty awesome, though. Zechs was okay (but still a Char clone).

Incisivis wrote:For UC, I only had access to First Gundam via the movies, but I thought those were great and I'd love to see the whole series someday.

The movies are even better presented than the series so you're not really missing much (just filler). Instead of watching First Gundam again, go for Zeta!

Incisivis wrote:I loved War in the Pocket, and 08th MS Team, though the second one I didn't manage to find the last volume for. I found Stardust Destiny to be rather dull.

I loved all three of the UC OVAs. 0083 had shortcomings but some of the greatest mechanical designs in the whole franchise, plus a whole bunch of cool Zeta cameos.
"I've never had any cherished dreams or ambitions. I don't aspire to any future profession or career."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:26 am

seeing as how this kept on going even after a TOPIC BITCHES warning, I may as well split. So carry on here.

Personally, I enjoyed SDF Macross and Ideon more than MS Gundam.

Zeon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeon » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:52 pm

Ornette wrote:seeing as how this kept on going even after a TOPIC BITCHES warning, I may as well split. So carry on here.

Personally, I enjoyed SDF Macross and Ideon more than MS Gundam.

Macross is a good franchise which I would love to see all of (haven't seen Seven or Zero). Macross Plus is one of the greatest anime OVA/movies ever made. It is beautiful. The new Macross sounds neat, I can't wait to see what the animation looks like, but again, I'm kind of behind in the story.

Ideon is a Tomino show so it's at least okay (I'm kidding, it's really good. It's supposedly the biggest inspiration for Evangelion).

Gundam/Zeta Gundam are still my favorite anime though.

CyborgZeta
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CyborgZeta » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:14 pm

Zeon wrote:Gundam X: Never seen (looks weak, got cancelled)
Gundam X may have been canceled, but that does not mean it is a bad show. Personally, I think Gundam X is the finest Gundam show I've ever seen; even more so than the original MSG.
"Without courage all virtues lose their meaning." - Winston Churchill

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:01 pm

JUST WILD BEAT

COMMUNICATION

I think Wing and SEED were the only ones I watched in full. Never even finished Destiny. Sad, I know.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”