Rebuild Titles

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Rebuild Titles

•      
  •      

Postby fadingreminder » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:00 am

The titles of Rebuild are very interesting to me. From what I understand, they have three titles. For example, Rebuild #1 was "Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone", "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban: Jo", and "Evangelion New Theater Edition: Preface". I think these titles may be important clues as to what to expect.

The "Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone" has been assumed to refer to Shinji, and I agree with that. Him feeling alone, then feeling some sort of acceptance. The way I feel about this title is that parenthesis are not always referenced in an idea and sometimes overlooked. Sometimes they're supplemental information, in the example that while Shinji knows he is not alone, perhaps he doesn't feel that way, so the "(not)" is something that he might know to be true, but does not accept. Sometimes it's a seperate thought; in this case, the first thought being "You Are Alone" which is the general feeling of Shinji at the beginning, changing into the opposite thought of "You Are Not Alone" as the story progresses.

Then there is the case of the almost suffix title that is "Jo" which, according to Wikipedia anyway, corresponds to the first movement in Japanese classical music or in a Noh play. For this example, I'm going to choose the Japanese classical music term. If this is seen to be the case, in which the following two of the four releases would be "Ha" and "Kyu", which would be middle and end respectively, would that leave the final release to be an encore? It is set to follow the third film immediately, or otherwise, to follow the end of the performance immediately, as an encore would. In this respect, could the third release be the "conclusion" to the story while the fourth would be an almost "Epilogue" film? This would provide a lot of closure to those who hated the open-endedness of the original.

Finally, there is the title of "Preface". Needless to say, this is self-explainatory in that it is the backstory and foundation of the story to Evangelion. In following the examples and using the reasoning that the titles are context clues, the title for the second film in this place would be "Breaking Up". This could be interpretted a few ways. The mood breaking up into a more severe and dark setting, the characters breaking up into less and less stable mental states, or characters in a relationship breaking up. Say the film opens with some Asuka and Shinji shipping, then it would end with them breaking up at the end. This could refer to many things though, Hikari and Toji, Misato and Kaji, etc... Since the first film's titles reflect on Shinji, I'm going to assume that this title follows.

Any thoughts or input on this?

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Rebuild Titles

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:49 am

fadingreminder wrote:the title for the second film in this place would be "Breaking Up". This could be interpretted a few ways. The mood breaking up into a more severe and dark setting, the characters breaking up into less and less stable mental states, or characters in a relationship breaking up. Say the film opens with some Asuka and Shinji shipping, then it would end with them breaking up at the end. This could refer to many things though, Hikari and Toji, Misato and Kaji, etc... Since the first film's titles reflect on Shinji, I'm going to assume that this title follows.

I think breaking up either pertains to the caracthers of evangelion getting broken down OR that break up is talking about how things in general get worse

All in all your logical conclusions make sense. You could turn out to be very right!
We wont know until they are released
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

destroyer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby destroyer » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:25 am

first title is especially interesting to me. i know it is mentioned in the actual movie, but i always think of the end of eva. the ocean of lcl and whatnot. if all of humanity was broken down to that ocean of lcl and they truly reached instrumentality humanity had finally become one. there's a catch though, if they're all one, then they are all truly alone. don't know how it would apply here, but i bet as this new story progresses, it'll hit us all.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”