Gurren-Lagann: GAINAX'S Epic! (There Be Massive Spoilers)

A forum for discussion of other Gainax works, people belonging or related to Gainax and the non-Eva projects they've worked on, media that reference or have distinct parallels to Eva, etc.

Moderator: Board Staff

cat42
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:21 am

Action_Bastard wrote:Ok, I am sorry you feel that way, but that would stop me.

I'm glad you've realized that we should support Gurren Lagann (assuming that's not a typo :rei_meh: )

But yeah, we should stop, before we get the thread locked, so on topic...

About the core drill that's coming with the box,think it'll be good, or just crap?
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:16 am

I gotta agree with cat here. It's not like it isn't available. And if you're looking for a torrent why are you waiting? The whole show is out. If you're watching the dub yr doin it wrong.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:41 am

Zappy-kun wrote:If you're watching the dub yr doin it wrong.

Not to get into a whole dub vs sub debate, but I agree with this. There is nothing wrong with dubs on the whole, mind you, it's just the emotion or translational intent of a scene can be lost. Though there are also dubs out there that actually surpass their original version counterparts...

Anyway, topic please.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Evanmontegarde
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Evanmontegarde » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:13 pm

Maybe I'm just cranky but I found this show to be not very good, I've watched all the episodes up to the one where they kill the helix king and I don't get why it's so popular. The plot just seems kind of half assed with random references to DNA thrown in there and characters that are complete stereotypes.

Maybe it gets good after the time skip thing...
O)))

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:32 pm

Evanmontegarde wrote:I don't get why it's so popular. The plot just seems kind of half assed

If it were a film, it'd be a popcorn movie. You watch it with your inner 12-year-old engaged, taking delight in the extravagant escalation from episode to episode.

That explains its popularity over and above better quality series from last year (like Dennou Coil, Mononoke, and Seirei no Moribito).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL

cat42
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:27 pm

I know it won't be, but if the core drill included in the box were this, I'd cream my jeans...

I am such a nerd.

Though a light up one might not be too bad, just not as useful (like I'd really walk around wearing it anyway.

ANN wrote:Quad Elements, a developer of electronics and computer services, will be releasing USB flash drives depicting Simon's core drill from Hiroyuki Imaishi and Gainax's Gurren Lagann series as well as Elizabeth from Hideaki Sorachi and Sunrise's Gintama series. These one-gigabyte flash drives are slated to be available at 4,900 yen (US$45) in October for the core drill and in September for the Elizabeth version. The company hints that the Elizabeth drive will be the first in a series of Gintama-themed drives. Bandai Entertainment announced at Otakon 2008 last weekend that it will be shipping a different, light-up core drill replica with the first dual-language DVD box set of Gurren Lagann.

"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido

master_lloyd
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:27 am

Evanmontegarde wrote:Maybe I'm just cranky but I found this show to be not very good, I've watched all the episodes up to the one where they kill the helix king and I don't get why it's so popular. The plot just seems kind of half assed with random references to DNA thrown in there and characters that are complete stereotypes.

Maybe it gets good after the time skip thing...

The show's meant to be a bit of fun. A little camp, silly, VERY over the top.

In the beginning I was a bit put off by the stereotypes and such, but if you stop taking it seriously and just go along for the ride, it's a very enjoyable watch. It melted even my cold heart...
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:55 am

The show's meant to be a bit of fun. A little camp, silly, VERY over the top.

QFT. That's exactly the kind of show GL is meant to be.

Evanmontegarde
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Evanmontegarde » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:39 pm

Yeah, I see what you mean by that. I guess I was expecting something more 'serious' given the other Gainax shows I've watched but it's pretty good as pure entertainment.

I finished watching the whole show and I actually did like the second part more if only because it did have more plot. Plus having galaxy-sized battles is pretty damn cool.
O)))

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:50 pm

Evanmontegarde wrote:given the other Gainax shows I've watched

You gave He is My Master a bye, then? Very wise move.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:58 am

According to my DVR, next week the Read or Die OVA will be on Sci-fi. I'm guessing this means last night, episodes 7 and 8 were the last dub episodes airing of GL? Either that, or maybe the rest would be shown subbed? I can't check the listings for the week after this so I really don't know.

The one thing I am wondering though, is why are there two separate titles in English for the dub? For instance, episode 7 on my DVR is listed as "You'll be the one to do that" but when the title screen shows up for the episode, the title is changed to "You're gonna do that". (Episode 8 is titled "Farewell Comrades" while the in-episode title is "Later, Buddy".) Anybody know why? Is one just the common fansub title and the in-episode one is what Bandai used??

Anyway, I LOLed when Kamina yelled "Fighting Spirit!!" to Simon after Gurren Lagann fixed itself, it was such a Spike Spencer sounding scream. :sweatdrop: Ugh, but using the word "bozo" to describe Kamina? >_< Whoa, Rossiu had a line of foreshadowing about what happened near the end of the episode. Coool.... (The second scream from Kamina is pretty impressive though.)

Dartz
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:54 pm

It smells like they're trying to make it appeal to the lowest common denominator....

Even if Later, Buddy does kinda fit
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:13 pm

The RoD OVA will be on Sci-Fi next week, then something else after that. 9 and 10 are airing after that. And 08 was dubbed better than the rest of the series so far, but Kamina just never quite did it for me. The "We brawlers are sustained by willpower..." bit isn't nearly as good as the fansub line, and it was said with no emotion at all.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:36 pm

"Giga Drill Break" = fail

"GIGA... DURRIIIIRUUU... BUREEAAAAAKAAAHHHH" = epic fucking win

(Yes, I prefer the fansub to the official sub/dub by a massive margin. Bandai didn't just drop the ball, they threw it off a goddamn cliff.)
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

Barinax
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Barinax » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:06 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Barinax: Dub says it See-moan instead of Shimon.

Makes sense.

I don't think we're getting it up here in Canada, and I only have basic channels anyway. I think I might buy this, actually. Never been that big of a fan, but still, I'm hearing the dub is pretty good. My old computer couldn't handle the files too. To be honest I didn't go past episode 19. Shh.

"Giga Drill Break" = fail

I think the dub speeches would probably be more of a

cat42
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:51 pm

SeanTucker wrote:"Giga Drill Break" = fail

(Yes, I prefer the fansub to the official sub/dub by a massive margin. Bandai didn't just drop the ball, they threw it off a goddamn cliff.)

The whole point of watching it with subtitles is to get the translation from the text, and the emotion from the original voices. At most, subtitles should use capitals, and italics for emphasis. Subtitling "Giga Drill Break" as "GIGA... DURRIIIIRUUU... BUREEAAAAAKAAAHHHH", especially in a barely readable ornate font, is just annoying. What would be appropriate is having an epic shout in the Dub, but one in your subtitles, I feel, is unnecessary.

So, in what other ways did Bandai "drop the ball" in your opinion?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:08 pm

Actually I've heard that Giga Drill Break is the official translation by Gainax. Anybody have SAUCE on such pasta?

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:11 am

It is, and always was Giga Drill Break. I'm not claiming that I always knew this, but having actually looked into it I can say that it most likely always was Giga Drill Break.

Kamina's seiyuu emphasized the bureiKU which made it sound like bureiKAA. And after that, people thought it was Bureikaa, so fansubs just kept adding "Breaker." Having rewatched 11 today, I can safely say I heard "Bureiku." I just wasn't looking for it before.

In fact, before these Bandai DVDs, there was arguing even in the Japanese fandom as to whether it was break or breaker. We stupid Americans just trust our fansubs.

(and yes, I know I slightly revised this argument from how I presented it on IRC)
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:04 pm

cat42 wrote:The whole point of watching it with subtitles is to get the translation from the text, and the emotion from the original voices. At most, subtitles should use capitals, and italics for emphasis. Subtitling "Giga Drill Break" as "GIGA... DURRIIIIRUUU... BUREEAAAAAKAAAHHHH", especially in a barely readable ornate font, is just annoying. What would be appropriate is having an epic shout in the Dub, but one in your subtitles, I feel, is unnecessary.

So, in what other ways did Bandai "drop the ball" in your opinion?

Actually, the fansub translation was just "GIGA... DRILL... BREAKER!!!" in green italics, but the Japanese audio has it as what I said, so that's what I wrote. Sorry.

Also, character name pronunciations are made of fail. Simon and Viral both got their names mangled. Yoko and Kamina managed to get off fairly light by comparison, though.

I honestly like Gurren Brigade a lot better than Team Gurren, too. Hell, they could have done a direct translation and called it the Red Brigade, and I wouldn't be complaining.

Viral's VA sounds a lot more reckless than would suit Viral's character. Kamina's VA sounds like a kid's TV show presenter. Simon's VA is a bit too monotone to be Simon.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

cat42
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:08 pm

SeanTucker wrote:Also, character name pronunciations are made of fail. Simon and Viral both got their names mangled. Yoko and Kamina managed to get off fairly light by comparison, though.

I honestly like Gurren Brigade a lot better than Team Gurren, too. Hell, they could have done a direct translation and called it the Red Brigade, and I wouldn't be complaining.

Viral's VA sounds a lot more reckless than would suit Viral's character. Kamina's VA sounds like a kid's TV show presenter. Simon's VA is a bit too monotone to be Simon.

I dunno how they pronounce Viral in the dub, I've only seen clips, but I agree with you in that I don't like Kamina's voice. It really doesn't seem right. I can see why they are using the European pronunciation of Simon, rather than the American one, simply because it sounds closer to what the Japanese said, while using the same spelling. Remember, the wester pronunciation is semi possible in Japanese as Saimon. (Though, when I have gotten a couple Japanese to try to say Simon, it ussually comes out Semen.

Team Gurren is GAINAX's official translation. I'm happy they are subtitling things as Team Gurren, Team Dai Gurren, Gunmen, etc. The fansubs always pissed me off because they used the wrong translations and spellings even though the right ones were posted on GL's damn website.

Return to “Related Works & People”