Shinkansen trains

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:36 am

I see. Too bad Anno did not use more original names.
I feel old

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:28 am

I get the impression Anno shared Kensuke Aida's sheer nerdiness and passion for all things military, which explains all the warship names. While those warships have passed into history, the train services are still around and widely used, which is why I find using all three names together stupid.

"Hikari" alone, to commemorate the original Hikari service, is nothing bad at all.

Akagi is supposed to be an actual surname, and Langley of course is a proper name, the ship Langley being named for aviation pioneer Samuel Pierpont Langley.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:37 am

Well, Nozomi and Kodama were only passing mentions. Hikari isn't exactly a rare name, but when all 3 sisters are mentioned in episode 17, it was enough for your average Japanese to say "Ahh, the trains, ok", and move on.

Skullraper
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Skullraper » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:18 pm

Why are so many public signs in Japan written in English or in English letters? It must be a necessity to cater to the foreign majority.

That’s interesting how they operate older trains along with the new ones. You’d think they’d replace them simultaneously.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:13 pm

Foreign majority? Peculiar choice of words. In any case, its a whole lot simpler to have some of the signs in English instead of Kanji, it saves a lot of trouble in some cases. Japanese know Romaji, so reading English isn't a problem.

And as for the Shinkansen, most of the trainsets are replaced within 15 years as opposed to 30 for other Japanese rolling stock. Only very few rare type 0 Shinkansen operate on the Kodama services, and those should be out in a year or two.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Skullraper
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Skullraper » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 pm

By foreign majority I mean that English is spoken by a majority of the world. I wasn’t suggesting that the majority of Japanese citizens are foreigners.

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”