[MANGA] Neon Genesis Evangelion Gakuen Datenroku

For talking about everything else Evangelion: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

LiluDallas
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LiluDallas » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:09 pm

New Chapter

JimmyWolk
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:33 am

LiluDallas wrote:New Chapter
Yay, Asuka isn't just a bitchy side chara for once...
Still just a side chara though...

And "Akari"? WTF?

LiluDallas
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LiluDallas » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:57 pm

yeah I noticed that Akari thing to it may just be a nick name and it doesn't look like Asuka or Rei are playing huge rolls in this but at least they act like the originals, all in all this chapter was just okay

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:50 am

OH GOD DAMMIT!@!!!!!

This manga has absolutely plagued me with incarnations of my own fleeting thoughts and ideas of Eva, I thought it all coincidence... but this... it’s just too damn ironic...

You see, the very first time I saw Asuka, during the previews for episode 8, I thought "Why hello, Alice", not sure why, but that's what came to mind, and now here they are comparing her to the exact same character… I think Ghostwriter might be spying on me again, the damn prick… :angry!!:
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Oedipusfoot » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:06 am

So far the story has been original but this chapter was full of cliches like "Yes, we'll go on together!" and the "breaking glass" cliche. Hopefully next month's chapter will pick up from here.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:03 pm

Oedipusfoot wrote:So far the story has been original but this chapter was full of cliches like "Yes, we'll go on together!" and the "breaking glass" cliche. Hopefully next month's chapter will pick up from here.

"Original"? It's like Evangelion meets Yu Yu Hakasho, right down to the "angels" being able to controll humans along with Shinji's (Yusuke's) gun, and Asuka's (Kurama)'s whip. Give Toji a spirit sword, Kawrou a meanstreak a mile wide, and Rei a broom, and you've got most of the cast assembled right there.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:05 pm

Alaska Slim wrote:"Original"? It's like Evangelion meets Yu Yu Hakasho, right down to the "angels" being able to controll humans along with Shinji's (Yusuke's) gun, and Asuka's (Kurama)'s whip. Give Toji a spirit sword, Kawrou a meanstreak a mile wide, and Rei a broom, and you've got most of the cast assembled right there.

If that's how the story is, it sounds like a huge improvement over the anime.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:56 am

The second volume is already out, just to say.

And comments regarding merge with Yu Yu Hakusho (with a U, by the way), it won't be that surprising, especially with the fact that the original anime has some nudges to other works.
I feel old

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:05 am

The Imperialist wrote:And comments regarding merge with Yu Yu Hakusho (with a U, by the way), it won't be that surprising, especially with the fact that the original anime has some nudges to other works.

There's "nudge", then there's a complete rip off. There is nothing new to the concept the manga is giving, it is all cliché, the original Evangelion actually had something new to add and had SET clichés. :rolleyes:

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Oedipusfoot » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:35 am

Here you go, Mr. Alaska. I've set up some pages that show
some of the new ideas in Gakuen Datenroku. You might
have missed them your first time around. I don't really feel
like explaining...No one cares anyway, otherwise it
would have been noticed and understood already.
But you can see the meanings by looking at the images
(if you read the manga, otherwise I apologize for
bombarding you with pages out of context) so you
should be fine.

These things are important in ze world of characterization.

Oh yeah, and "Angel characterization!!"

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:22 pm

Oedipusfoot wrote:Here you go, Mr. Alaska. I've set up some pages that show
some of the new ideas in Gakuen Datenroku.

:facepalm: To Eva, not to anime, that's the point. It's like if they actualized their ideas in the audio drama.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:03 pm

Our page on this manga sucks. /R/ that somebody mercifully updates it.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:32 pm

Reichu wrote:Our page on this manga sucks. /R/ that somebody mercifully updates it.

Aww, mom, do we have to? Image *starts to vaguely remember what he's been reading these past few months*

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Oedipusfoot » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:00 am

Reichu wrote:Our page on this manga sucks. /R/ that somebody mercifully updates it.

I know I shouldn't ask this here, but can it be done by the chapter like the Sadamoto ones are? I think there are just three volumes out now so I don't know if they's get separate pages.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:25 am

That sounds to me like you're volunteering...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL
Avatar: Etoh Mei (b. 9-May-2018)

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Oedipusfoot » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:29 am

Mr. Tines wrote:That sounds to me like you're volunteering...

Yeah...

I'll do it but don't count on speed...

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:33 am

Oedipusfoot wrote:I know I shouldn't ask this here, but can it be done by the chapter like the Sadamoto ones are? I think there are just three volumes out now so I don't know if they's get separate pages.

Putting everything on one page will work for now. Both general and specific information obviously need "help", when you can get around to it.

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Oedipusfoot » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:30 am

Reichu wrote:Putting everything on one page will work for now. Both general and specific information obviously need "help", when you can get around to it.

But...I'm writing the chapter summaries right now. I was thinking it would be better to have a page for volume one, a page for volume 2, etc. like the Sadamoto NGE manga pages are right now.

I don't know. The one page needs help but it could be edited to go along with the volume pages if they were made.

Chapters are 40 pages long. It'll take a while to get it all together.

So what do you think...?

Marzan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marzan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:58 am

Let's see if they ever release it internationally.

Thanks for posting it.
And everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon- Roger Waters

"Timeo hominem unius libris"

klasnic
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby klasnic » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:40 pm

Bad news -__-:

Rebmastu, one of the member of Turtle Paradise (fansub who translates Gakuen) said this in her forum and in the Gakuen Datenroku post:

Link: http://www.turtle-paradise.net/manga/neon-genesis-evangelion-academy-the-records-of-heavens-descension/comment-page-14/#comment-20633

So far, Kadokawa hasn’t announced a release date for volume 4 of Datenroku, but as the series just ended in this month’s issue of Asuka magazine (!!) at 22 chapters, it’s probably safe to assume it will be released in October, which is when we’ll be picking it back up.

Link: http://www.turtle-paradise.net/forum/index.php?topic=233.0

I just received my issue of Asuka Magazine in the mail today, and Evangelion: Gakuen Datenroku has come to an end at 22 chapters. I can't really express my thoughts on the chapter itself, since it followed up on a plot line that hasn't been introduced in what we've scanlated so far, but I will say that Ming's art did improve somewhat for this chapter, but it seems mostly in regards to Asuka herself. (Kind of hard not to, lawl. But she did get some massive moe points.)

As for my thoughts to the ending... Well, it seemed rushed, and a lot of plot points were left un-addressed, leaving me with the feeling that perhaps it wasn't very popular at all, which is especially evidenced in the recent lack of color-pages aside from the obligatory two-page spreads which are included at the beginning of new volumes - and since color = popularity, well, I think we can infer the rest from there.

But with that said, it looks like volume four will bring the story to a close, and while the release date wasn't announced in this issue, I have no doubt that it will be within the next month or so. Until then, we're currently working on re-doing the first chapters a few at a time, so look forward to a high-quality finished release!

This notice appeared firstly in a spanish page: http://www.misiontokyo.com/index.php?ind=news&op=news_show_single&ide=5021 and later

Congratulations to Kadokawa, Gainax, and specially to fanboys and fangirls of Asuka´s magazine, thanks to them the best official Evangelion manga (at least for me) will end at 22 stages, and Sadamoto´s manga and ISIK are still being published for ever and ever, anyway... I´ll hope that, although Min Min has to leave a lot of plot points, the final be decent or a good/happy final.
Last edited by klasnic on Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”