Anno and Gainax splitsville?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Otaprince
Tunniel
User avatar
Posts: 197
Joined: Oct 10, 2004

Anno and Gainax splitsville?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Otaprince » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:01 pm

the most interesting thing about the new Eva may not actually be the new Eva-- it's that Anno is building a brand new studio that, judging by the Rebuild trailer, can make Miyazaki or Studio IG-level animation. So basically he's setting up shop for himself outside of Gainax, even though Rebuild is some kind of joint-venture in terms of the property.

This is just a hunch, but I suspect that Anno wants to get in on the Miyazaki/Oshii/Satoshi Kon racket: big-budget anime films that attract an international audience. I can't see Anno going back to the limitations of TV anime after something like Rebuild.

That really would be the most exciting news here: that Anno will start making BIG new anime films after Rebuild. It makes sense: he's building his own studio starting with the project guaranteed to secure production dollars and rake in box office loot. I wonder if Anno and Gainax are splitsville for good, and if so, how many Gainax veterans (Tsurumaki, Imaishi, etc) will jump ship to Khara for good.

Thoughts?

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:04 pm

Not really.

We figure Anno made Khara because GAINAX by itself doesn't have the full resources that he needs put into Rebuild, as GAINAX's directly busy with shows like Gurren Lagann. Rebuild will still very much be a GAINAX work.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Otaprince
Tunniel
User avatar
Posts: 197
Joined: Oct 10, 2004

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Otaprince » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:35 pm

this is a classic case of sounding sure when no one has any idea-- how do you know??

Rebuild is getting done one way or another-- why didn't Anno do it under the aegis of Gainax? The only explanation to me seems that he wants independence from Gainax for the first time in his career.

Szmitten
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
Posts: 379
Joined: Sep 06, 2006

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Szmitten » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:44 pm

Or they can't animate an epic and demanding TV series AND an epic and demanding movie at the same time.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2945
Joined: Sep 04, 2006
Location: I'm actually in a demon

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:45 pm

Well, as said before, GAINAX doesn't have all the resources it needs to produce a film like Rebuild. Most of its animators are probably busy with Gurren Lagann, so Anno started a new studio to hire more animators and other anime-making paraphernalia. He's probably getting funding from GAINAX to make the movies, but just doesn't have other stuff he needs to produce it there.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:47 pm

I'd like to point out your guilty of the exact same thing. How do you know that he's doing this because he finally wants to break away from GAINAX?

I heard that from somewhere; somewhere on EMF I believe, and I agree, because it seems logical. Anno isn't doing this in a whole separate GAINAX free studio, because Rebuild's very much supported by GAINAX, has it's own website, merchandise, etc. To me, it seems logical to assume that he made a separate animation studio within GAINAX because of how busy GAINAX is with other things, case and point, Gurren Lagann.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Otaprince
Tunniel
User avatar
Posts: 197
Joined: Oct 10, 2004

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Otaprince » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:03 pm

WHY he created Khara is speculation-- I guess it's because he wants to be the boss, you guess that ot's because Gainax is busy with other anime. One, both or neither could be true.

The fact is that Khara has been created and it's producing Rebuild. Gainax is (i believe) not producing the show or at most co-producing it-- last time I checked (which was a while ago, granted) there is almost no Rebuild info on Gainax's site.

SO, Khara is being assembled as a studio with animators, computers, facilities, and if the Rebuild films do well, a track record of hit movies. Does anyone think that after Rebuild, Anno will fire Khara's animators, sell the computers and move back to Gainax?[/b]

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:14 pm

Otaprince wrote:The fact is that Khara has been created and it's producing Rebuild. Gainax is (i believe) not producing the show or at most co-producing it-- last time I checked (which was a while ago, granted) there is almost no Rebuild info on Gainax's site.

GAINAX made a website for Rebuild. They're still very much producing the show.

Otaprince wrote:SO, Khara is being assembled as a studio with animators, computers, facilities, and if the Rebuild films do well, a track record of hit movies. Does anyone think that after Rebuild, Anno will fire Khara's animators, sell the computers and move back to Gainax?

Uh, wow. Your misunderstanding's kind of amusing. There will be no moving back so to speak. Khara is a copyright of GAINAX. Anno assembled a team of animators called Khara for ____________ reason, most likely for the specific purpose to make the Eva movies. I'd imagine that the Khara studio will be working on some GAINAX works, however.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Otaprince
Tunniel
User avatar
Posts: 197
Joined: Oct 10, 2004

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Otaprince » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:38 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:
Otaprince wrote:The fact is that Khara has been created and it's producing Rebuild. Gainax is (i believe) not producing the show or at most co-producing it-- last time I checked (which was a while ago, granted) there is almost no Rebuild info on Gainax's site.

GAINAX made a website for Rebuild. They're still very much producing the show.

Otaprince wrote:SO, Khara is being assembled as a studio with animators, computers, facilities, and if the Rebuild films do well, a track record of hit movies. Does anyone think that after Rebuild, Anno will fire Khara's animators, sell the computers and move back to Gainax?

Uh, wow. Your misunderstanding's kind of amusing. There will be no moving back so to speak. Khara is a copyright of GAINAX. Anno assembled a team of animators called Khara for ____________ reason, most likely for the specific purpose to make the Eva movies. I'd imagine that the Khara studio will be working on some GAINAX works, however.


I posted this to spark some discussion and looks like it has. Again, you may want to refrain from being so sure of yourself without proof. It's not amusing-- it's annoying-- and this discussion is supposed to be fun.

First of all, "Khara" is a studio name and can't be copyrighted-- it is a trademark. Does Gainax own Khara, either the name or the studio? If so, please post a link supporting that. I believe I read in Newtype or somewhere about Khara's new offices.

Khara made a website for Rebuild. Is there one on Gainax.co.jp?

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:46 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2006-08-07/new-hideaki-anno-project-in-the-works

http://www.evangelion.co.jp/
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Otaprince
Tunniel
User avatar
Posts: 197
Joined: Oct 10, 2004

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Otaprince » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:50 pm

>On August 1, Evangelion director Hideaki Anno's official website was >updated with job listings for key animators and production staff at a >studio called Khara.

>Meanwhile, Gainax's Evangelion site has added Khara to its copyright >line.

This means that the copyright in Rebuild is owned jointly by Gainax and Khara. So they are co-producers of the work.

>http://www.evangelion.co.jp/

Again, look at the bottom and the copyright is shared by Gainax and Khara.

Khara is an independent studio. It is not owned by Gainax.

Otaprince
Tunniel
User avatar
Posts: 197
Joined: Oct 10, 2004

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Otaprince » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:53 pm

slight amendment: it may be owned by Gainax (as a wholly-owned subsidiary or Gainax may have invested in it), but these links don't tell us. In any case, Khara is an independent entity. It is not part of Gainax.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:58 pm

Yeah, alright. It's still a GAINAX subsidary and GAINAX is not completely unrelated to RoE, though Khara's going all the animation work themselves, though. And all I saw at the bottom of the page was GAINAX, though I wouldn't be able to recognize Khara cause I can't read moon runes.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Otaprince
Tunniel
User avatar
Posts: 197
Joined: Oct 10, 2004

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Otaprince » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:03 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:Yeah, alright. It's still a GAINAX subsidary and GAINAX is not completely unrelated to RoE, though Khara's going all the animation work themselves, though. And all I saw at the bottom of the page was GAINAX, though I wouldn't be able to recognize Khara cause I can't read moon runes.


ha man there is NO REASON to think it's a Gainax subsidiary! it may be-- but there is no reason to think it is!! (Those two kana on the left of Gainax on the eva site spell "Khara.") As far as we know, Khara is its own, independent studio.

So back to the discussion, do you think it's possible that Anno wants to create his own Ghibli-like studio, with himself as Miyazaki? Pure speculation, of course.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2945
Joined: Sep 04, 2006
Location: I'm actually in a demon

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:07 pm

Otaprince wrote:So back to the discussion, do you think it's possible that Anno wants to create his own Ghibli-like studio, with himself as Miyazaki? Pure speculation, of course.

Probably not, GAINAX is probably one of Anno's major projects in his life. He's been a major player in that studio since it was founded, and has directed the studio's arguably finest works.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Otaprince
Tunniel
User avatar
Posts: 197
Joined: Oct 10, 2004

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Otaprince » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:48 pm

From Anno's Rebuild statement:

"I have set up a production company and studio, and it is in this new setting that we will start again. Without looking back, without admiration for the circumstances, we aim to walk towards the future."

cat42
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1243
Joined: Aug 20, 2006
Location: The editing room
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby cat42 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:15 pm

My thoughts, he established Khara to demonstrate that this will be a new Eva, as previous GAINAX releases were basicly just sprucing up the material yet again.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Coded to the Core
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 107
Joined: Apr 15, 2007
Location: Eva02
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Coded to the Core » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:28 pm

Khara actually means SHIT in arabic , lulz :P
I am a lilith .. YAY .. *those jerks* :/ ...

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Posts: 5751
Joined: Feb 03, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:06 pm

Coded to the Core wrote:Khara actually means SHIT in arabic , lulz :P

Is that really true or was that a joke? :? If really true, I want the SAUCE, beotch!

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul
User avatar
Posts: 689
Joined: Sep 02, 2007
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CitizenGeek » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:35 pm

Otaprince wrote:From Anno's Rebuild statement:

"I have set up a production company and studio, and it is in this new setting that we will start again. Without looking back, without admiration for the circumstances, we aim to walk towards the future."


He only said that in relation to RoE, so for all you know, the studio could just have made with the sole purpose of producing these movies.

My thoughts: I think Studio Khara will continue to exist after RoE is finished, and we will see big budget Miyazaki/Oshii/Kon style movies from Anno - but I think Khara will still operate under Gainax. That is, Khara will belong to Gainax. That's what I hope happens, anyway! Gainax without Hideaki Anno is just not Gainax!
Last edited by CitizenGeek on Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests