Rewatched the first five episodes, a "new pilot" t

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
JP
Adam

Rewatched the first five episodes, a "new pilot" t

•      
  •      

Postby JP » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:37 pm

Now, I think that the popular vote by new pilot, everyone usually either thinks they're refering to Kaworu, or Mana (even if that opinion is just for fun).

But when I rewatched the Hedgehog Dilema episode earlier tonight, something caught my eye that hadn't before:

Kensuke:Hmm, Misato-san. How I envy you. You live with such a
beautiful lady and can pilot Evangelion. Oh, I could pilot it
to my heart's content just for once.

Shinji: You'd not better do it. I think your mother would be worried
about it.

Kensuke:Ah, it's O.K. I don't have a mother. I'm the same as you.

Shinji: Yes.

Even I think Aida as a pilot is slim, but imagine if he was the new pilot? He would probably die off real quick lol. Hell, Toji was a pilot sorta. Toji can be his replacement.
The pregnancy is now absolute.

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:39 pm

Please, if Kensuke was a pilot I would shoot myself. He is annoying enough as it is.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:41 pm

Fearthebait wrote:Please, if Kensuke was a pilot I would shoot myself. He is annoying enough as it is.

Kensuke: Hey guys, look I'm soooo cool right now! I mean, who woulda thunk that I'd be filming my own Eva cockpit?!?

*Discussion among Section Two*

*Agent steps forward* I'm sorry, but you have breached standard security protocols. *Empties clip into Kensuke's head*
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:48 pm

I always liked the Irony of Kensuke NOT getting able to pilot, case in point, see the GoS2 game/manga.

Plus, he was WAAY too self-centered to see how bad it is (Kensuke, episode 19: "Damn! Even Touji gets to pilot, but I--" Me: ">_< Touji's in the hospital! I know this is meant to show you're screwed up like the rest of the Eva cast, but come on!")
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:01 pm

Only psycho's can pilot the EVA; so ergo, no Kensuke. Same goes for Hikari actually, although I'd be more open to that option. You can never have too much Hikari ya know.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:33 pm

yeah. but what if they made aida i pilot, and he immediately had some horrific experience and it shattered his world. His fascination with all things that explode goes bye-bye. Then, he's stuck being a miserable pilot. Hey, that sounds depressing enough to make it into wevangewion.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:01 am

I second (or third) the notion of Hikari becoming a Pilot before Kensuke ever could. She and Touji could make out in the entry plug that way! ^_^

And Slothen: I like the way you think. :twisted:

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:13 am

All of Shinji's classmates could be pilots, if Ritsuko is to be believed:

Misato (OFF):
Dr. Akagi, aren't you hiding something from me again?

RITSUKO (OFF):
Not really.

Misato:
Well, okay. So, who's the selected kid?
Of all the people, it's that child?

RITSUKO (OFF):
It can't be helped.
All the candidates were gathered together for protection.

From conversation, in addition to the selected few, we also know that Hikari and Kensuke have lost their mothers.... and Touji's father and grandfather work at 'The Lab' ... I wonder how many large scientific ventures operate out of Tokyo 3.

It may have been a matter of coincidence that Touji was chosen, I remember someone saying something about his being the first core that could be prepared, or something.
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:23 am

I kept hoping and praying the new pilot would've actually been a pilot in Japan before Shinji. And what happens is Shinji's brought in to be the third of their Pilots and when Sachiel attacks the New Pilot is sent out in an Eva to do battle.

And Shinji watches as this kid is brutally killed by Sachiel, I mean Eva limbs ripped off, the chest ripped open and big squishy Evsa organs flopping all over the place, Sachiel acting like a mosnter and ripping the Eva's skull open and digging in the body to find the entry plug to squash it. And there's this young boy screaming in pain over the entire thing. And then crush- SILENCE.

Hold on everyone doing a "Oh shit" expression. Shinji in shock, and then Misato or Ritsuko turns to Shinji and coldly says:

"Get inside the Eva".

Maybe its because I'm a sick son of a bitch but thats what Iwould've loved ot have seen happen. But now my best guess is the New Pilot is a young hottie with glasses and a lisp (an anime stereotype Eva has yet to cover)

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:58 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I second (or third) the notion of Hikari becoming a Pilot before Kensuke ever could. She and Touji could make out in the entry plug that way! ^_^

And Slothen: I like the way you think. :twisted:

Touji and Hikari in an entry plug? I like the way you think

And Gendo'sPapa, while being awesome, I think thats just a bit too much too early. If you do that, it would take away from some of the awesome moments later in the series.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:06 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:I kept hoping and praying the new pilot would've actually been a pilot in Japan before Shinji. And what happens is Shinji's brought in to be the third of their Pilots and when Sachiel attacks the New Pilot is sent out in an Eva to do battle.

And Shinji watches as this kid is brutally killed by Sachiel, I mean Eva limbs ripped off, the chest ripped open and big squishy Evsa organs flopping all over the place, Sachiel acting like a mosnter and ripping the Eva's skull open and digging in the body to find the entry plug to squash it. And there's this young boy screaming in pain over the entire thing. And then crush- SILENCE.

Hold on everyone doing a "Oh shit" expression. Shinji in shock, and then Misato or Ritsuko turns to Shinji and coldly says:

"Get inside the Eva".

Maybe its because I'm a sick son of a bitch but thats what Iwould've loved ot have seen happen. But now my best guess is the New Pilot is a young hottie with glasses and a lisp (an anime stereotype Eva has yet to cover)

I disagree. Too much psychological damage too early.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:11 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:<Almost a summary of the early chapters of the manga>

That was Sadamoto's take on why Rei was injured in ep#1 -- Zerogouki had failed miserably fighting Sachiel.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:44 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Gendo'sPapa wrote:<Almost a summary of the early chapters of the manga>

That was Sadamoto's take on why Rei was injured in ep#1 -- Zerogouki had failed miserably fighting Sachiel.
I thought she was piloting Unit-01...

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:48 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:I thought she was piloting Unit-01...

She was. We see her tackle Sachiel then get whooped before retreating.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:04 pm

What Shin-Seiki and Tokpile Quohog said: Rei's injuries in the manga are from battling the 3rd Angel inside Shogoki for God knows what reason.

Oh yeah, and that idea of Gendou'sPapa would be pretty sweet, but sadly probably won't happen. >_< (I'm assuming by "guts ripping out" you mean an EoE-style Eva death?) Best left for a kick-ass fanfic, I assume? *glances at Smith's direction*

But now my best guess is the New Pilot is a young hottie with glasses and a lisp (an anime stereotype Eva has yet to cover)

As long as its not Mayumi or whatever her name is and the New Young Hottie doesn't distract from the story but adds some SAABISU, I'm all for it! ^_^
...Who's with me that her name should be Roy ("Yo yo!") and she could be a Surfer-ish type ala Poochie? XD

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Millions Livio » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:17 pm

I always saw Kensuke as a character that had a lot of potential but never developed. I liked the side of him that came out every once in awhile where he was wise to things that the others were in the dark about. Perhaps if he was matured a bit and they dropped some of his childish antics and gave him more depth he could actually be a suitable pilot. Perhaps as things progress and he sees the "dark side" of the EVA's he actually becomes more interested in it and becomes addicted to it and slowly loses his sanity in the process. Somewhat the opposite of Asuka; perhaps the mixture of aggressive and suppressive results from piloting the EVAs would work.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:31 pm

So, where do they say there's going to be a new pilot in Webuild?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:06 pm

The first trailer, the words in English: "New Story, New Pilot, New Machine."

(Though its possible it did say "New character" and I'm remembering wrong.)

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:11 pm

Perhaps they're just referring to Kaworu.

If there's an all new character, I hope it's a he.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:15 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:The first trailer, the words in English: "New Story, New Pilot, New Machine."

"New Character - 新しい登場人物" (Atarashii Toujou Jinbutsu = New Character)

Nothing about pilots, I'm afraid. In lieu of further information, I hold firm to my speculation that the "New Eva" is just going to be Kaworu's.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”