"Amore e Psiche" by Antonio Canova

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
User avatar
Posts: 8896
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: The Evanets.
Gender: Male
Contact:

"Amore e Psiche" by Antonio Canova

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:37 am

Moved to discussion. I'm surprised to find this in Omake.- Ursus

http://www.evamonkey.com/randomimages/a ... psiche.jpg

I thought it was interesting that Sadamoto illustrated Kaworu on this particular statue. I need to do some more research, but the statue is about a myth where cupid fell in love with a mortal woman.
Webmaster, EvaMonkey.com; Co-founder, EvaGeeks.org; Moderator, r/evangelion.

Follow me on Social Media! [YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook] [Tumblr] [Twitch]

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Posts: 431
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: NJ, USA

Re: "Amore e Psiche" by Antonio Canova

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby bp32 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:47 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote: http://www.evamonkey.com/randomimages/a ... psiche.jpg

I thought it was interesting that Sadamoto illustrated Kaworu on this particular statue. I need to do some more research, but the statue is about a myth where cupid fell in love with a mortal woman.


That is a cool find--if there is a connection maybe it was done to represent Kaworu (who is essentially an Angel--Cupid is sort of a god) and his change of heart towards the lilim (represented in the statue by the woman, "Psyche"). At first Cupid was sent to earth to punish Psyche (by making her fall in love with a monster since her beauty was distratcing people from worshiping Cupid's mother, Venus), but once he came upon her he fell in love with her. This seems to follow closely the storyline in Eva where Kaworu is sent to destroy mankind but has a change of heart (falling "in love" with mankind) and instead saves it (for a little while) from those who want to punish or destroy it (like Cupid does in the myth)...what do you think?
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

The Eva Monkey
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
User avatar
Posts: 8896
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: The Evanets.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:54 pm

There is a very distinct parallel or similarity between the two. I doubt Kaworu was based upon Cupid, or that his role was based upon the myth, but it is more likely that this illustration was made to reference the old myth which is similar. Kind of like an afterthought.
Webmaster, EvaMonkey.com; Co-founder, EvaGeeks.org; Moderator, r/evangelion.

Follow me on Social Media! [YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook] [Tumblr] [Twitch]

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Posts: 431
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: NJ, USA

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby bp32 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:00 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:There is a very distinct parallel or similarity between the two. I doubt Kaworu was based upon Cupid, or that his role was based upon the myth, but it is more likely that this illustration was made to reference the old myth which is similar. Kind of like an afterthought.


I tend to agree--it seems more likely that Sadamoto came across the myth after the series and saw the parallel in the stories and characters. Although, it occurs to me that their may have been some inspiration to the character, possibly from some other mythological or literary character who is sent to destroy a seemingly 'lesser' species but then becomes affectionate for that species and essentially spares them--rejecting his initial purpose--problem is, I can't think of any off the top of my head :?
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

The Eva Monkey
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
User avatar
Posts: 8896
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: The Evanets.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:26 pm

When it comes to the "dying to save humanity" thing, I can't help but think of that Jebus fellow.
Webmaster, EvaMonkey.com; Co-founder, EvaGeeks.org; Moderator, r/evangelion.

Follow me on Social Media! [YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook] [Tumblr] [Twitch]

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Posts: 431
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: NJ, USA

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby bp32 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:35 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:When it comes to the "dying to save humanity" thing, I can't help but think of that Jebus fellow.


Yeah, the J man is the first to come to mind--but in this case I don't think it fits--the biggest reason is that in Catholocism Jesus was never intended to destory humanity or sacrifice humanity for the sake of other-worldy beings. His purpose was always to save it--but Kaworu's goal is essentially just that. He then does something very human--he has a change of heart and makes a choice to reject his destiny or purpose and to help create a new future. I actually think Shinji is more the Jesus figure, but in an admittedly odd way. While it may not have been intended, I always like to think of Shinji as the Jesus we never see in the bible--the adolescent, teenage and young adult Jesus who must struggle with the knowledge that he is the son of God, a chosen one whose purpose is to save humanity. That is such a heavy load to bear--for me Shinji represents the frailty of such a person--young, fragile, confused, self-conscious, unable to be comfortable with himself let alone the duty he is charged with. Eventually he alone is charged with deciding the fate of the world, even though he is only human. I can only imagine the incredible strain that would put on someone--represented quite well in EoE.

Wow, that was a long ramble... :)
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 2238
Joined: Jul 14, 2004
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:39 pm

bp32 wrote:
The Eva Monkey wrote:When it comes to the "dying to save humanity" thing, I can't help but think of that Jebus fellow.


Yeah, the J man is the first to come to mind--but in this case I don't think it fits--the biggest reason is that in Catholocism Jesus was never intended to destory humanity or sacrifice humanity for the sake of other-worldy beings. His purpose was always to save it--but Kaworu's goal is essentially just that. He then does something very human--he has a change of heart and makes a choice to reject his destiny or purpose and to help create a new future. I actually think Shinji is more the Jesus figure, but in an admittedly odd way. While it may not have been intended, I always like to think of Shinji as the Jesus we never see in the bible--the adolescent, teenage and young adult Jesus who must struggle with the knowledge that he is the son of God, a chosen one whose purpose is to save humanity. That is such a heavy load to bear--for me Shinji represents the frailty of such a person--young, fragile, confused, self-conscious, unable to be comfortable with himself let alone the duty he is charged with. Eventually he alone is charged with deciding the fate of the world, even though he is only human. I can only imagine the incredible strain that would put on someone--represented quite well in EoE.

Wow, that was a long ramble... :)

Wow,nice and smart ramble however...
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

The Eva Monkey
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
User avatar
Posts: 8896
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: The Evanets.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:45 pm

bp32 wrote:While it may not have been intended, I always like to think of Shinji as the Jesus we never see in the bible--the adolescent, teenage and young adult Jesus who must struggle with the knowledge that he is the son of God, a chosen one whose purpose is to save humanity.

The account of Jesus during his youth is pretty much non-existant. He's born, and then they skip ahead to him being an adult and performing miracles. I imagine Jesus having been a very petulant child. Even though he is God, I would think he would be subject to the aquisition of maturity and wisdom over time due to his inheirant humanity.
Webmaster, EvaMonkey.com; Co-founder, EvaGeeks.org; Moderator, r/evangelion.

Follow me on Social Media! [YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook] [Tumblr] [Twitch]

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Posts: 431
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: NJ, USA

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby bp32 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:52 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
bp32 wrote:While it may not have been intended, I always like to think of Shinji as the Jesus we never see in the bible--the adolescent, teenage and young adult Jesus who must struggle with the knowledge that he is the son of God, a chosen one whose purpose is to save humanity.

The account of Jesus during his youth is pretty much non-existant. He's born, and then they skip ahead to him being an adult and performing miracles. I imagine Jesus having been a very petulant child. Even though he is God, I would think he would be subject to the aquisition of maturity and wisdom over time due to his inheirant humanity.


Exactly, for me the interesting part is what was left out--how would someone, anyone, deal with such knowledge? Since he would be subject to an inherent humanity he would probably have had to go through that always traumatizing period of one's life--adolescence--where most people struggle with thier identity, fitting in, finding their place in the world--this is hard enough as most of us can attest to without knowledge (or at least the belief) that you are the mesiah :)

In any event, do you know when Sadamoto did that particular drawing? I wonder if that might give us some clues as to its relationship with the myth of Cupid...
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain


Return to “Evangelion Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests