The Juxtaposition Thread, or, Side-by-Side

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

The Juxtaposition Thread, or, Side-by-Side

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:04 pm

Some side-by-side comparisons between NGE and Rebuild, posted by CtHuLhU in the Trailer thread, inspired me... TO TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL!!! So I decided to create a spin-off thread specifically for juxtapositions. Image-intense.

Episode #01

A. The Birds

Direct retake. Now more minimalistic. As noted, the birds’ movement corresponds extensively to the original.

B. Sachiel Under Fire

Corresponding scenes, with visible differences. The actual composition is more similar to this cut from #01 (wherein Sachiel exhibits an ATF Jump). There are no apparent modifications to his design. Note also that he seems much more impervious to the fire in Rebuild; in #01, he’s thrown back by the initial hits.

C. Sachiel Regenerating

Direct retake. As you can see in the trailer itself, the "second face" is actually shown emerging (as it was in the manga), whereas #01 only provides the stationary frame -- definitely a welcome addition. The ichor seems to be obscured by the heat haze.

D. EVA-01 Inside Cage

A much more intricate restraint set-up this time around. The wall-like structures that envelop the shoulder pylons are either eliminated for Rebuild, or they have retracted. The gizmo in the upper right with the (oldskool) Nerv logo on its seems to be the entry plug insertion mechanism, though it’s hard to see given the angle and all the stuff blocking the view. …What’s that long dark grey thing?

E. EVA-01 Moving to Launch Pad

A dramatic improvement.
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:06 pm

Episode #02

A. Face Plant!

Has she fallen to her knees first? It looks kind of weird.

B. Tokyo-3 Rising

The CG here looks fine to me. Too bad the trailer’s colors are so muddy.

C. Psych-Out!

This correspondence — Shinji giving us bug-eyes before Yui-sama goes apeshit on Sachiel’s ass — is speculation on my part. But, once I saw the real trailer, it immediately popped into my head.

D. Crossroads

This cut is really hard to see in the trailer file, but for the time being I’ll take E-BOY’s word for it. (He said that the trailer includes the “scene of the explosive flame that advances along the crossroads in the urban area, which was in episode #02 of old Eva. (It doesn't go up into the sky. Hard to explain.”)

E. Sachiel Self-Destructs

Directly revisiting the original cuts. With rainbows. And a lot of blood at the onset of the explosion (no screenshot for that here, tho).

F. EVA-01 Victorious

…Maybe the wobbling will grow on me.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:09 pm

Episode #03

A. Enroute to School

I'll be damned if these two don't form a pair. Massive reconstruction work, with impressive results.

B. Rei by the Window

Straightforward retake. The sling is now tucked beneath Rei's collar, rather than draped over it.

C. “The Most One-Sided Fist Fight in Tokyo-3”

The similarities here are very strong. As in, redrawing-the-original-frames-of-animation strong. Compare -- not a single unique frame was left behind.

Episode #03 / Rebuild #01

The timing should be the same, so getting them to play side-by-side and in perfect synch might provide some lulz.

D. Message from Headquarters

Rei gets a close-up for Rebuild. Nice.

E. Peripheral Defense System

Now with tanks! The trailer suggests that this is being employed against Sachiel, rather than Shamshel, but that is of no concern here. (I hope we still get our fill of Heavy Fighter VTOLs. Wouldn’t be the same without ‘em.)

F. Shamshel

Corresponding cuts of her hovering over EVA-01. She’s inspired many comments, but I’ll summarize here.

The most attention-getting differences involve the thoracic region. Its internal structure is now exposed for reasons entirely inexplicable, revealing a rib cage and a spine -- but absolutely nothing else. An additional pair of legs (teeny weeny ones) have been added to the caudal end ("towards the rear") of the ensemble, for a total of ten. In #03, Shamshel retracts her legs for combat, but, here, they wriggle around like those of bug trying to get back on its feet. The arms have been altered, apparently resurrecting one of Asari-san’s previously unused design concepts. The whips now emerge from a different place — though, considering they are physical organs amplified by energy, I wonder how they ever fit in there…

Is it just me, or does the core look a bit… odd?

G. Progressive Knife inside Pylon

Showcasing a new knife design and a much more intricate and visually engaging setup. Now the knife is jointed where the blade meets the hilt, and it straightens after being engaged. Nifty.

H. Progressive Knife Engaged

The original cut is drawn rather poorly, so there’s no contest here. We have the naked hands once again, although they look (A) not terribly damaged, and (B) alarmingly low on the melanin. Sho also seems to be holding her left arm kinda funny.

I. Post Bellum

Well, we have EVA-01 and tentacles in both, but where did Shamshel go? She couldn’t have exploded, since the surrounding terrain is fine and dandy. Couldn’t have fallen over, or she would have taken Sho with her. Is the Rebuild cut from later on sequentially than its basis — Shamshel already removed for analysis, with the tentacles incised at the connection points and that embedded knife conveniently ignored?

Another rainbow, and note also the light rain.
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:12 pm

Episode #04

A. Tokyo-3 Shrouded in Mist

Okay, so, not so shrouded in #04, but we can pretend. A sign that events from episode #04 may occur.

Episode #05

A. Enter Ramiel

Vastly different, but immediately recognizable. If you look closely, you can see straight through Ramiel — as per the original, but a lot fancier.

Episode #06

A. “Sayonara”

Direct revisitation.

B. Ready, Aim…

The original was drawn quite crappily, so it’s not hard to top. What is that wispy-looking stuff?

C. Japan

The trailer movie file doesn’t showcase this one too well, but it’s supposed to be cool. In #05, the aerial view is used to depict the blackout; in Rebuild, apparently the inverse.

D. “Smile?!?”

In the original, Rei spins around and we see Shinji reflected in her eyes, and then the shocked expression appears on her face. Here, they seem to go straight to shocked. (Maybe they’re just changing the order of things.) #05 screens chosen to correspond to Webuild.

Random

#11: Pedestrian Crossing Signal

#19: Shinji Being Shinji

Does this cut occur anywhere else? It feels like it should…

--------------------

Okay, I'm through.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:25 pm

I'm thinking the wispy stuff in Episdode 6b is steam.

Anyways, good show with the comparisons.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:28 pm

Reichu wrote:The original was drawn quite crappily, so it’s not hard to top. What is that wispy-looking stuff?

Steam from the rifle already having been fired, I imagine.

Edit: Darn, CC beat me to it. ;)
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:42 pm

Well someone's been working on this for a while haven't they! Nicely done Reichu.:wink:

Reichu wrote:Image

I REALLY don't like the glow in the dark Sho they got going on. It looks too Fisher Price-ish to me.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:53 pm

It looks like they'll still be using the original NERV logo a bit
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:20 pm

Yah, I personally loved the old Nerv logo more then the new one. They might just change SEELE's and leave Nervs alone. Anyways, Nice work Reichu.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:19 pm

Reichu, its official: I love you and I don't care who knows it! :mrgreen: Excellent work!

btw, anybody else notice in the Rebuild pic of Shinji being Shinji, he's wearing some earbuds? It doesn't look like ones for the ipod (not that I have an ipod so I can't really compare), so maybe the SDAT does return?

And doesn't that cut occur later in the series, like the Descent Arc (what episode is the original cut from?)?? It was something that was shown several times, I thought?

Anyway, that's interesting how they switched the lights going out to turning back ON in Rebuild...I noticed that the first time I watched the trailer, but thought maybe I was just seeing things. ^^;

I wonder what's with all the rainbows when the Angels kick the bucket...Oh gawd, does that mean when Kaworu goes SPLOOSH, they'll be a big-arse rainbow to go along with the fangirls views of his (horribly unfounded) homosexuality? :shock:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:59 pm

Judging from the hight of the lamps her knees have indeed buckled. (due to Sachi’s sexiness no doubt)
B. Rei by the Window

Is that sling even tied properly?
Vastly different, but immediately recognizable. If you look closely, you can see straight through Ramiel — as per the original, but a lot fancier.
Oddly I never realised that Ramiel was see-through.
Reichu, its official: I love you and I don't care who knows it! Excellent work!
Careful, she may make you wear purple sweatshirts and a strap-on …horn. :P
btw, anybody else notice in the Rebuild pic of Shinji being Shinji, he's wearing some earbuds? It doesn't look like ones for the ipod (not that I have an ipod so I can't really compare), so maybe the SDAT does return?
I’ve brought this up elsewhere but received no responses other than “So”? Philistines! ;)
And doesn't that cut occur later in the series, like the Descent Arc (what episode is the original cut from?)?? It was something that was shown several times, I thought?
I recall it in ep 18 (?) when Kensuke was on the phone I think. There were other times.
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Vane
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Vane » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:00 pm

Reichu wrote:Episode #02

A. Face Plant!

Is he headed for a Rave?! That's a ton of glowy parts.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:22 pm

Careful, she may make you wear purple sweatshirts and a strap-on …horn. :P

:lol: "Ooh, baby!"

@ Vane: Eva-01 (shogoki) is a she, not a he. ;)

And I didn't realize Ramiel was transparent either.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:03 pm

Well, I remember reading somewhere Kazuya Tsurumaki did say that the first film more so than the others would look and feel like a mere updating of the TV show.
It'll be interesting.
Movie 1- very close in tone and look and story to show.
Movie 2- starts branching off into new areas with New Character and ANOTHER Eva.
Movie 3+4 (A.k.a. Movie 3)- Almost completely new stroy with maybe only one or two scenes lifted over from the series.

Question- I was thinking, if Anno goes for a full on serious tone with these movies wouldn't the whole battle with Israfel betray that tone? I hope he doesn't give that Angel the shaft. I'd like Gaghiel, Israfel, and Bardiel to be the Angels in Movie 2. Oh, and Kaworu accidentally gets stepped on by an Eva at a random moment. NOW THAT WOULD SHOCK THE FAN-GIRLS

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:21 pm

One of the differences between Rei in front of the moon is that, in the Rebuild version, has something in her right hand.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:27 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback.

TriLink12 wrote:Well someone's been working on this for a while haven't they!

Yes; it was a rather poor utilization of time on my part... Now I need to sneak it into the Otakon panel in order to justify its existence.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:And doesn't that cut occur later in the series, like the Descent Arc (what episode is the original cut from?)??

As noted in the presentation (bad SSD, bad!), #19 (when Kensuke attempts to contact Shinji). The cut seems like an infinitely recurring one, but I didn't find it when I skipped through the Prologue Arc, and #19 was one of the first things I checked after that.

I wonder what's with all the rainbows when the Angels kick the bucket...

I noted in that other thread... (Comments seem to be getting lost awfully easily in the fray.)

Reichu wrote:The visible spectrum is a recurring element in NGE in association with "Angelic stuff", relayed through computer displays: #04 Rei scans, the Angel genetic pattern, Ireul's transformation, the harpies' ATFs resounding with GNR's, and so on. [See also the most common variation of Seele's 'logo', along with the Sephiroth generated by the Eva Series.] "Rainbow" is also an entry on the Webuild poster with the kids on it.

Katayoku no Tenshi wrote:Judging from the hight of the lamps her knees have indeed buckled.

I think I like it better the old way.

Is that sling even tied properly?

It seems to be tied the same in both, in any case. (The sling is tucked beneath Rei's collar instead of draped over.)

@Gendo'sPapa: Wrong thread.
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Toonces
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Toonces » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:27 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Oh, and Kaworu accidentally gets stepped on by an Eva at a random moment. NOW THAT WOULD SHOCK THE FAN-GIRLS

haha, I'd laugh my ass off. Kaworu is too good a character to do that with though.

Anyway, great comparison shots. Also, I too didn't realize that Ramiel was supposed to be somewhat transparent, only reflective.
Long-time lurker

felineki
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby felineki » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:16 pm

Episode 2 cut F Rebuild version is giving me serious EGK vibes. Which is not a good thing.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:45 pm

felineki wrote:Episode 2 cut F Rebuild version is giving me serious EGK vibes. Which is not a good thing.

I think I'm getting them from 2-A and 3-I, as well. And, hmm... Would the knife need to be folded up like that if the pylon hadn't been... shrunken?

OH DEAR YUI-SAMA, NO!!! HATH THE EVIL GEKIJOUBAN ROTOSCOPED HORRORS REARED THEIR UGLY HEADS ONCE MORE?!?

:checks shoulder proportions on EVA-00:

VERY NO DESU!!!!!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:53 pm

V wrote:Image

It looks like they'll still be using the original NERV logo a bit

Awesome observation mate. Made my day even more joyful =)
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”