Parasite Eve

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

[Video Games] Parasite Eve

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:58 am

ok i know that not every body is all that happy with Square at this this point. seem I guess people seem to think it started going down hill either at or just after FF7. but i did think this title was rather enjoyalbe as was its sequel PE2 which some people see as a RE cop-off but its actually not that much. anyway i'd like to hear people's POSITIVE thoughts on it. and Trigger yes i know square needs to get off there asses and get CronoBreak done ASAP.
Last edited by Kaminoyouni on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:19 am

A very cool game that I never finished. Love the atmosphere and its really different take on the RPG genre. I remember being blown away by its CGI when I first saw it, but it probably looks dated now. Hmmmm, you've made me want to hunt it out and finish it! :)
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:15 am

in b4 FF7 fanboy shitstorm just because you mentioned Square.
It's been a long time since I played PE, or any PSX game for that matter.
I keep hearing it get mentioned EVERYWHERE and it pisses me off to not have access to it.

Also, they never even started on Chrono Break, and I'd rather have them not make a new Chrono game. God knows what kind of Nomura faggotry they'd shove in there to make it appeal to 15 year old goth kids with each character sporting at LEAST 15 belts and or zippers on their outfit.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:51 am

Zkh wrote:God knows what kind of Nomura faggotry they'd shove in there to make it appeal to 15 year old goth kids with each character sporting at LEAST 15 belts and or zippers on their outfit.

15 belts and zippers? BAH, not enough. The ENTIRE OUTFIT should always be an amalgam of belts and zippers. NEEDS MORE NOMURA

As for Parasite Eve; I passed it up a couple years ago and I regret it now. Ah, back when Square was good...
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:10 am

thread now = good Square games that aren't FF.

Am I the only one who played Threads of Fate? I mean it wasn't OMG AWESOME GREAT ARR PEE GEE but it was so fun, needs a real sequel.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:27 am

Square was great around '98, as was most videogames. PSX is my favorite era.

But Parasite Eve is an exception. I played 10-15 hours of it before I quit. Hated it.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:34 am

Xenogears, Chrono series, Secret of Mana, Einhander, Parasite Eve from the sounds of it, Bahamut Lagoon, Radical Dreamers, Super Mario RPG, Vagrant Story...lotsa non FF Square stuff.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:16 pm

I wanted to play Xenogears but I watched some videos and it looks like
WALL OF TEXT: THE GAME

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:29 pm

The second disc, it's WALL OF TEXT: THE GAME, but other than that, it's an incredible game.

Oh, and how could I forget Live A Live?

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:26 pm

Zkh wrote:I wanted to play Xenogears but I watched some videos and it looks like
WALL OF TEXT: THE GAME

No there are frustrating jumping puzzles as well.

I would like to play Parasite Eve one day although it's pretty low on my list of "PSX games to buy on ebay before their price becomes insane" list.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:33 pm

ThroneofDravaris wrote:No there are frustrating jumping puzzles as well.

Oh god, the sewer. With the jumping over the drains and having Rico forced on you and the boss it was horrible D:

Did you actually like Xenogears, Dravaris? I had always assumed you were a fan what with the Grahf avatar and everything

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:43 pm

I adore the story line and consider it to be one of the best, if not the best to ever be featured in a video game.

But the gamplay drove me absolutely insane. Call it a love/hate relationship.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:52 pm

Huh. I thought Xenogears had one of the best battle systems i've seen in an RPG, personally. I had a lot of fun playing it, in Gear and out of Gear. Only real complaint was the second disc, but it can't be helped.

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:16 pm

The foot battles were pretty good, even though was pretty much no stratagy involved. The Gear battles were similar, although not nearly as cool as the foot battles.

What bothered me was the overall gameplay rather than specific problems with the battle system. Dungeons were often ridiculously long, which wouldn't have been so bad were in not for the high random encounter rate which often threw random high-HP enemies at you. The fairly low-end graphics of the time also meant that most rooms looked the same so it was pretty easy to get completely lost (GRR NORTUNE SEWERS ToD SMASH) Then there were the half-baked platforming elements. Platform jumping in the Tower of Babel has to be one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever experienced in a JRPG. The mini-games were also pretty annoying at times, like that one were you have to walk/jump around a room at random in order to activate a whole load of keystones or something.

Then there was the second disk which managed to make Xenogears one of the most linear games out there by throwing you into 3 boss battles in succession with the infamous "we will now describe to you all the dungeons and plot elements we couldn't put in the game before we ran out of money" cutscenes in between, followed by a couple of short dungeons and then more of the same thing afterwards.

Playing Xenogears could be somewhat of a pain sometimes. OF COURSE THIS IS KIND OF OFF TOPIC.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:45 am

ThroneofDravaris wrote:OF COURSE THIS IS KIND OF OFF TOPIC.
exactly so hopefully some one who has played the game will come along or else i'm just gonna have this locked.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:53 am

I liked Parasite Eve. Fun game, even though Aya's legs were way too long. I, too, remember being impressed by the CG at the time. Back when I was coming off "squashed-sprite consoles', FMVs were cooooooool. And rats and German shepherds mutating into icky monsters -- you just can't beat that, really. (Is it just me, or did Sheeva take some cues from The Thing?)

I believe I sucked enough at the game that I eventually resorted to using that Game Shark gizmo to beat it before we had to return PE to Blockbuster. (Doh.) We own a used copy now, but I haven't had the urge to play it yet.

The Ultimate Being gave me the FUCKING CREEPS. That music played a big part -- damn you, Shimomura. But the first form was seriously disturbing (in all its FMV-rendered glory). The third one had a massive scrotum hanging off its ass, and I was never sure why. The last form looked kind of like FF8's Quetzalcoatl, except gooey and yucky. The part where you have to escape the ship and avoid getting touched by it -- ugh, chills down the spine. Chills down the spine, man.

And the ending made no sense. Never did see the "other" ending... The Chrysler Building, or whatever, was simply too painful to endure.

BTW: people melting into orangey goo. Eve should have sung "Komm, susser Tod" at Central Park.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:30 am

yeah i noticed it had a lot of things in common with eva. espcialy in Parasite Eve 2 with a organization deticated to the Evolution of the Human race by artificial means.
Proud Member of F.A.P.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:00 pm

Kaminoyouni wrote:yeah i noticed it had a lot of things in common with eva. espcialy in Parasite Eve 2 with a organization deticated to the Evolution of the Human race by artificial means.

The orange goo is the only NGE-similarity I recall in the original. Never played the sequel, although such organizations are a relatively generic fictional device.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:12 pm

it did have a lot to do with making clones of Aya(though she had no clue this was going on). the sneaky double(or even triple) agent Kyle is much like Kaji. A giant pupa like thing reminds one of lilith on the cross. then again you said you never played the sequal, i guess the best you could do is find videos on youtube or dailymotion of gameplay and/or story.
Proud Member of F.A.P.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”