[MANGA] [NGE] Eva Manga Action Ed. 2 Alternate Soundtrack

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
houtaru
Lilith

[NGE] Eva Manga Action Ed. 2 Alternate Soundtrack

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:02 pm

Have any of you read the alternate soundtrack listing by Carl Gustav in the new edtion of volume 2? It's a decent listing of songs that go with each episode of the anime. However, I can think better choices he could have made. What are your thoughts?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:53 pm

I broke it out this morning and typed it up.

http://www.evamonkey.com/alternate_eva_soundtrack.htm

I don't really agree with his choices. But then again, I'm not really into many of the artists he's listed. I'm aware of them, I'm just not into many of them, aside from perhaps Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, and a couple others.

Its tough to pick a single sound to encapsulate an entire episode. If anything, I'd like to pick his choices for character themes. Maybe he did for later volumes. There's an alternative soundtrack for The End of Evangelion in volume 3. I'll type that up as well.
Last edited by The Eva Monkey on Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:11 pm

I honestly couldn't disagree more with his choices. I would rather hear classical/instrumental music with actual meaning then hear some metal idiot yelling his head off, or whatever type of music you would say Nine Inch Nails or Smashing Pumpkins produces.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:29 pm

As promised, here is the alternate soundtrack to The End of Evangelion, found in the viz second edition of volume 3 of the Evangelion manga.

http://www.evamonkey.com/alternate_eoe_soundtrack.htm

houtaru
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:44 am

Thank you for making a list of those. I haven't bought volume 3 yet. I listened to all the music and most of the tracks are horrible. The Smashing Pumpkins I agree with, as someone else said. Gustav put Coldplay's The Scientist to episode 23 becuase he said it reminded him of Ristko. I don't agree. As I listen to the lyrics, It reminds me of Gendo and Yui.

the-artist-known-as-chris
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby the-artist-known-as-chris » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:24 pm

Phaze wrote:I honestly couldn't disagree more with his choices. I would rather hear classical/instrumental music with actual meaning then hear some metal idiot yelling his head off, or whatever type of music you would say Nine Inch Nails or Smashing Pumpkins produces.

Nuff said.

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Esion » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:06 am

Those have got to be some of the worst choices for Eva I have ever seen. I wouldn't say that even one of those songs goes well in my opinion.
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:36 am

It's true, some of the songs are unfitting, and I laugh just thinking about them being in Eva at those parts.
But it's definately a north americanized way of seeing it.
We'll see whachu' got.

http://xrl.us/ccnh

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:22 am

Some of those bands shouldn't be in the same sentence, or even same paragraph as Eva. I for one have the EoE OST which is teh r0x0r. I don't why the would release a "revised" soundtrack. Probably to Amercanize and mainstream Eva just a little more. (aka "basterdization") >.<

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:01 pm

cain luppus wrote:Some of those bands shouldn't be in the same sentence, or even same paragraph as Eva. I for one have the EoE OST which is teh r0x0r. I don't why the would release a "revised" soundtrack. Probably to Amercanize and mainstream Eva just a little more. (aka "basterdization") >.<

Agreed.
And not just with Eva, but with themselves.

Normally, when soundtracks get chosen for films, TV series, etc, they usually stick to a certain music theme.
This just... didnt.
We'll see whachu' got.

http://xrl.us/ccnh

lyricaldanichan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lyricaldanichan » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:21 am

Asuka Langley wrote:
cain luppus wrote:Some of those bands shouldn't be in the same sentence, or even same paragraph as Eva. I for one have the EoE OST which is teh r0x0r. I don't why the would release a "revised" soundtrack. Probably to Amercanize and mainstream Eva just a little more. (aka "basterdization") >.<

Agreed.
And not just with Eva, but with themselves.

Normally, when soundtracks get chosen for films, TV series, etc, they usually stick to a certain music theme.
This just... didnt.

You guys missed the 90's.. and the point.

The whole point of the alternative soundtrack is how the 90's fit with Evangelion and Angst. Now I am only assuming that the posters here were born in the late 80's/early 90's to not understand this.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:33 pm

It's more the type of music suggested, then the content of the music itself that I have a problem with.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

I have to go with that...

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:43 pm

I have nothing against (most) of the songs, I just don't fel much of a connection between them or Evanglion, it's not that I haven't tried it's just the two really don't fit together.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

lyricaldanichan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lyricaldanichan » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:28 am

Hmm that is a suprised that you couldn't connect with those songs because at the time a lot of people were able to. Is users on this thread born in the 80's or early 90's? I guess I am suprised of the reaction, but figured that might be the reason why nobody here understands.

Not like this alt soundtrack is set in stone, it was Carl's view of what he felt would fit with the series.

Super Mega Ultra Deluxe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Mega Ultra Deluxe » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:35 am

Mmmm, Sneaker Pimps :D But yeah, the list is a bit too personalized and even though I like some of those bands and songs, I don't think music like that goes well with Evangelion. I think any band music ing general wouldn't really work. Not condemning his choices though, it works for him.

A custom soundtrack of music without lyrics or classical pieces would probably work better in my opinion.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:18 am

08: Asuka STRIKES!
love rollercoaster red hot chili peppers

11: THE DAY TOKYO-3 STOOD STILL
6 underground sneaker pimps

Its picks like these that confuse me. Given Carl Horn's writings on Eva, I assume that a lot of thought and decision went into these picks. But, with something as subjective as music, it lacks a sense of consistancy. Not saying that he should have picked Linkin Park, Eminem, N'Sync, and Korn, but some more recognizable and diverse music would probably help this along with being applicable to readers. And I say this having grown up listening to quite a few of these bands. I may not have many of their cds, but I do remember these songs and bands from back in middle school.

lyricaldanichan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lyricaldanichan » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:50 pm

Super Mega Ultra Deluxe wrote:A custom soundtrack of music without lyrics or classical pieces would probably work better in my opinion.

There is allready classical pieces in the official soundtrack! LOL

Super Mega Ultra Deluxe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Mega Ultra Deluxe » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:03 pm

lyricaldanichan wrote:There is allready classical pieces in the official soundtrack! LOL

I'm aware, I meant different ones.

houtaru
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:14 pm

So anyone want to make their own list for each episode? Could be fun^^. I'm always on the lookout for great music i've never heard before, epecially classical.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:50 pm

I would rather hear classical/instrumental music with actual meaning then hear some metal idiot yelling his head off, or whatever type of music you would say Nine Inch Nails or Smashing Pumpkins produces.

That's one of the most arrogant and repulsive things I've ever read. '_'

But anyway, if every song fell right in line with Eva (i.e. a bunch of "new" classical pieces, which, by the way, express little vocally), it wouldn't be "alternate" in any way. Of course, I don't care for his choices either, but just plain music? Either you've got some real doozies of suggestions or just little imagination.

By soundtrack, I don't think he means "songs to score with." (heh heh, "score with"...) It's an album. I've made seven. It's fun.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”