Is Asuka really not going to be in the first movie?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Naz
Embryo

Is Asuka really not going to be in the first movie?

•      
  •      

Postby Naz » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:32 pm

Okay so is there an article or interview with Anno where he specifically states Asuka is not appearing in the first movie?

Let me lay a few things down here if there is no such statement...

Even though Asuka doesnt show up in the first few episodes, the rebuild is exactly that, a rebuild. If I was to venture a guess, they are intentionally leaving Asuka out of the trailers and such because the suprise is Asuka is taking on a major role at a much earlier stage.

In my opinion, and the more times I watch the series over, it seems obvious Asuka and Shinji were meant to be paired. If I was going to be remaking the series I would want the main love interest to be appearing in the first episode and onward; not far after the appearance of some girl with blue hair and a quasi-guardian with stunning curves and a drinking problem.

In addition, the end of the series (during instrumentality) sees Asuka waking Shinji up to go to school together. Childhood friends? Perhaps this is what Anno would have done if he wanted Eva to be a little more up-beat? Say, (dare I say it, I think I do) if he wanted to rebuild Eva?

Do you think Asuka will be taking on a major role in the first movie? I do.
N|Naz

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:53 pm

There was neither mention of her appearing or her not appearing in the first movie. But based off of what we do know, 3 angels, ending in operation Yashima, more or less the general gist of the first 6 episodes of the series. I have a hard time imagining how they can fit having an extra Eva and an extra pilot around (Asuka, being the elite pilot that she is, would never sit on the sidelines without her Eva) the story without drastic changes. However, say, having Kaworu laying chilly as a student in their class can feasibly work.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:57 pm

Asuka isn't on the main poster, even though many relatively minor characters are.

If Asuka were there for Operation Yashima, she'd certainly help. But she isn't. Operation Yashima is going to be how it was originally planned but couldn't be due to technological limitations. Original vision of OY = no Asuka yet.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Naz
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Naz » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:10 am

Perhaps she doesn't become a pilot until later; yes I know farfetched, however I seriously doubt she won't be appearing at all in the first movie.
N|Naz

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:21 am

Well, isn't the new character supposed to come in during the second movie? Maybe the new guy/girl is someone who was with Asuka in Germany. Maybe Misato won't be Asuka's guardian in Germany (Shortly before being Shinji's guardian, she's still new to the geofront), and the new character will be her guardian instead.

Kaworu was sent by Seele as a replacement pilot, so Seele would have no trouble trying to fudge up his past and send him to school with the rest of the potential Eva pilots (As an inside job). Kaworu's actually a pretty good choice for a spy- he can be very open but hide monster secrets at the same time.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:23 am

I don't think Asuka is going to be in the film. However, I can see them putting in a brief cameo at the very end, as a teaser towards her prominence in the second film.

Ayana-Me
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ayana-Me » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:01 am

It seems to me that you're taking quite a leap of faith here. There's not a single piece of evidence suggesting that she will be in the first movie. There's no Asuka or Unit-02 in the trailer, movie poster, merchandise, etc. Judging from the trailer, the story will be fairly similar to that of the series, which means no Asuka until 2.0. I agree with you though, I wish she'd be in the first one.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:06 am

I really hope she's not.

Nothing against Asuka, it's I just feel it's unneeded in the first one.
I think it'd be better if the second one opened up with a scene similar to how Shinji met Asuka in the arcade in the manga.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:26 am

cat42 wrote:I think it'd be better if the second one opened up with a scene similar to how Shinji met Asuka in the arcade in the manga.

I would miss that grouchy American captain. He was the shit.

I bet I'll miss Tokita, too. Poor Shiro-kun. No love.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:36 am

The grouchy captain could show up and be grouchy when they unload EVA-02 at the docks.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:39 am

Asuka's too strong and volatile a character to introduce at the begining like everyone else. If the R'Eva Asuka is anything like the original Asuka than she needs a kickass intro at the very start of Film 2.

It took Anno 1/3 of the series to set up Shinji, Rei, Misato, and the lot and then like after Asuka's introduced the next 3 episodes really just focused around her.

I'd rather wait for her to show up in Film 2 with an iconic Asuka moment than just have her shoved in at the end of Film 1. Like they just squeeze in a pair of magically inflating breasts or something.

Besides, you hold off on Asuka you got a color scheme for the movies. Film 1's color scheme can be primarily cool relaxing colors like blue and white. (Here's where someone mentions Misato's redjacket)

Film 2 could be your bright warm colors like red, orange, yellows and all the others Asuka brings to the table.

The Final Film (I refuse to think of these as 4 movies unless 3.0 and FINAL play seperatly) can be whatver the story demands-BLACKS if dark, GREENS if hopeful.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:43 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:BLACKS if dark

Black for all of the people bursting into fossil fuel.

Maybe.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:46 am

I still dunno if I really believe LCL is black.

Jobhug
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jobhug » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:55 am

cat42 wrote:I still dunno if I really believe LCL is black.

Yeah, if the dude who started that's only source was this teaser I'm not convinced. There's dozens of reasons for the darkness of that awesome shot zooming away from Shinji, most likely being he just ran out of power after fighting Shamshel. (If this is the case, Toji and Kensuke aren't there....)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:49 am

Remember people quite how much screen-time Asuka gets in the series OP -- yeah, blink and you miss her.

And the brash interloper can't arrive until you see the start of the quiet true love being set up, ready to be disrupted by the newcomer.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:35 am

I think Asuka won't have a big part in the first film. The cloest thing I can think of is that she may get a cameo at the end of the movie or that someone mentions her.

In my opinion, and the more times I watch the series over, it seems obvious Asuka and Shinji were meant to be paired. If I was going to be remaking the series I would want the main love interest to be appearing in the first episode and onward; not far after the appearance of some girl with blue hair and a quasi-guardian with stunning curves and a drinking problem.

True, but Asuka was introduced 1/3 of the way in and still people thought that her and Shinji were meant to be. If A/S comes again they'll have plenty of time to building it up. Also, who's to say that Asuka is Shinji's love interest in Rebuild? Since this is an alternate Eva anything could happen.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:30 am

I wouldn't miss her if they left her out of Rebuild completely... Too bad that wont happen.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:49 am

@ Gendo'sPapa's last post in this thread...

Agreed, all points!

@ Anonymous_Evafan

Sure Asuka got quite annoying in some parts, but she was at least pretty amusing during those times.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:58 am

I don't find her particularly annoying I just have a fundamental detest of her character altogether.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:15 pm

Don't you be saying bad things about my little girl! :)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”