[LAEM] The TRANSFORMERS Effect

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

The TRANSFORMERS Effect

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:05 am

So since 2003 the Texan whores at ADV have been trying to get this cashcow off the ground eh?

An Evangelion Trilogy starring the cast of some Disney show huh?

And for 4+ years now people have had what to base their knowledge of this movie on? Some pictures? Ray in a plugsuit? A promise of Movie 1 basically being Evangelion 1.0 without the allmighty Kaworu.

And nothing.

Well I promise that's all gonna change. In fact by this time next month the film might even have a director, release date, and star (my guess Shia LaBeouf, he's all the rage right now).

Und warum?

TRANSFORMERS. Those robots in disguise.

If the film makes a $ in profit (and it will, the film is tracking high and could be one of the smash hits of the summer) then studios will see there's gold to be made in giant robots.

Think about it. In 1996 slasher films were dead. Jason and Freddy had bit the bucket, and Mikey Myers was on his last Curse. But then Wes Craven brought in a little film called SCREAM and boom! Before your blond big tittied neighbor could take off her shirt it was time for some URBAN LEGENDS, a little bit of I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST WHATEVER, and la crem de crem, JASON IN SPACE!!!!! (Jason X).

In 2000, superhero movies had died with Hollywood's gayest blockbuster, BATMAN & ROBIN. But one lonely night Hugh Jackman showed up with some adamantium claws in X-MEN and BOOM! Here we are actually having to sit through trailers for GHOST RIDER, LITTLE TORTILLA BOY and any other third-tier superhero who has a gimmick to sell. Even the big boys like BATS and SUPES have come back.

In 2002 no Studio knew what movie played beyond the US borders, but then Gore Verbinski gave the studios a RING and KAZOW! Every Asian movie with a girl ghost and even those without saw a stateside remake starring Jennifer Connelly, Jessica Alba, Sarah Michelle Gellar, that chick from BangBus4, and any other actress with breasts. In fact, the remake craze is so bad it's spread to remaking American horror movies and actually won Martin Scorsese an Oscar for THE DEPARTED (deserving sure but the man should be on his 8th Oscar).

So. Here we are. Big budget sequels are not delivering like they should and the only live-action big budget non-sequel (though not origina) film to come out this summer could clean the banks.

It won't take long to see studios jump onto a TRANSFORMERS 2:ELECTRIC BOOGALO and the next most talked about giant Robot pic.

EVA!

Some elements of EVA might be changed to fit the TRANSFORMERS effect (I'm thinking flames on Unit 01. Preferably around the crotch). Anthony Anderson could be brought over to be Kaji (he'll do great with Halle Berry's Misato) and ---don't say it man, don't say it---- Ryan Seacrest could do a fully realized Kaworu.

So, yeah, I say before EVANGELION 1.0 is released in Japan, EVA LIVE ACTION is put into motion. And then maybe some studio can buy the rights for the animated remakes and hold onto those as DVD extras for the eventual 3-Disc release of EVA LIVE ACTION.

P.S. Once EVA hits it big, expect more Westernized Anime adaptations (rememebr SailorMoon with Lindsay Lohan?)

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAahahahasobsosbsob. Me go back to work now.

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: The TRANSFORMERS Effect

Postby marmotgirl » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:53 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:*SOME FRIGHTENINGLY LIKELY STUFF*

...I got as far as 'Ryan Seacrest' before deciding to kill myself.

Yeah, I even hung in there through the Flaming Crotchâ„¢...but Ryan Seacrest...

And now I'm picturing Simon Cowell as Gendo.
"Dude, it's not that I don't think you're cool or anything but the fact is that that guy is driving a Big Red GTO and you're pissing about in an enraged banana."

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:41 am

Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:40 am

My, my, my, someone is a pessimist. But, if Transformers is successful, the likelihood of the LA Eva movie getting kicked into high gear is quite high, so you may be correct.
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:12 am

I have a feeling it will. I loved transformers
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:31 am

Since Transformers was originally an American cartoon show (though based on a revamped Japanese toy line) it will probably cash in on nostalgia and do quite well. Eva doesn't have that in America. It's from a foreign country and has no nostalgia value. Just because both have giant robots doesn't necessarily mean Transformers' success will put Eva into production. Also, we are forgetting that Michael Bay (a member of the Horsemen of the Film-making Apocalypse [copyright BrikHaus 2007]) is directing. If it sucks ass, then nobody will want another giant robot movie.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:55 am

Originally, I really wanted to see a live action Evangelion movie if it was done right and had a good director.

However, when Rebuild was announced, I lost interest in LAEM and, by now, I kind of hope it never comes out. If Eva were more well known in the United States, maybe, but as it currently goes, I don't like at all the concept of "You hear that weird robot film has an anime based off it now?"

Plus, it's kind of hard to part with the cult status of something you love. And I'm rather tired of telling people who didn't like the Hitchhiker's Guide movie that "the books are better".

In summation, if they make LAEM, they must not screw this up. If the director turns out to be Ridley Scott or someone of that sort, then my worries may be alleviated.

Then again, Matt Greenfield wrote the script, didn't he?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:05 pm

I want to see a LAEM, but if they plan to screw it up, I'd rather not see it.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Kaysow » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:08 pm

This is all very real-sounding.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:18 pm

NAveryW wrote:Then again, Matt Greenfield wrote the script, didn't he?

Of course he did. After all, he invented Evangelion.
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:49 pm

I will tell you right now, it is highly unlikely that ADV is going to turn LAME into a purely brainless "let's blow shit up" movie.
Yes, there will be explosions, giant robot fights, etc.

No, what Matt Greenfield and co. are gonna give us is Matt Greenfield's "new and better" interpretation of Evangelion. His will be more meaningful, and more "artistic" than Anno's.

I don't expect the movie to be ruined by Hollywood, I expect it to be ruined by Matt Greenfield's fucking ego.

Remember, he knows more about Evangelion than anyone else in the world. Anno, aw he only wrote this thing, but Matt Greenfield, he made it into art. Just look at the dub, better than Anno's rushed ear-scraper.

Someone needs to slap some sense into that stupid son of a bitch.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:24 pm

What ever happened to that original series that ADV was supposed to produce a number of years back? I can't even remember the name of it. Well, seeing how that turned out, I imagine any Live-Action movie produced by them will suffer the same fate.
Awesomely Shitty

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:08 pm

I doubt anything will come of this. They can't even put out there latest collectors edition of Evangelion (currently they are blaming Gainax for that as their own idiocy can't possibly be at fault :roll: )so I think their live action movie chances are still going to be low. Maybe I will believe the project will get made if something like a Live Action Robotech gets made first and makes money.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:16 pm

@ Gendo'sPapa:
Well suddenly, I think I am an optimist considering this latest rant of yours. :shock: I know you're dead-set against Live-Action Eva but DAMN!

Anywho, I really doubt that Shia LeBeouf will be involved in LAE. He has been trying his darnedest not to be type-cast.

I also doubt that if Live Action Eva ever happens (though the success of Transformers increases LAE's odds of being made) that it would be (at least) announced before Eva 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone hits Japanese theatres in September. My guess would be announced at least within a year from now if Transformers had a ma$$ive enough effect.

And what cat42 and NAveryW said...

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fearthebait » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:57 pm

You made me have nightmares man....But this all sounds like it has a 50/50 chance of happening lol
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:54 pm

BrikHaus wrote:What ever happened to that original series that ADV was supposed to produce a number of years back? I can't even remember the name of it. Well, seeing how that turned out, I imagine any Live-Action movie produced by them will suffer the same fate.

If you mean Andromeda, it did happen. Fairly solid sci-fi space travel series with a supernatural element, lasted several seasons.
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:58 pm

No this was meant to be an anime written and produced by ADV.
Awesomely Shitty

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:29 pm

You mean cartoon done in a style that attempts to emulate anime?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:31 pm

*record scratch (and off-topic, which [this directed at admins/mods] may need its own thread)* Wait a sec. An anime version of Andromeda, produced, written by our "pals" at A.D. Vision? Where is (or at least was) the info on this??? :?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:33 pm

This had nothing to do with Andromeda whatsoever. Whatever the show was called (I can't remember what) was reported on AnimeNewsNetwork. And ADV even had a website about this new "American anime production." But after that, I never heard anything about it.
Awesomely Shitty

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”