Castlevania

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Vampire Killer
Embryo

Castlevania

•      
  •      

Postby Vampire Killer » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:04 pm

Any Castlevania fans here? It is currently my #1 favorite video game franchise. After playing some of the games of the Castlevania franchise, I feel that these games have a few of the things I like in a video game. They have story, gameplay, difficulty, and music. I was going to say also graphics, but that only varies on which console the games are played on.

List of games I currently own...

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (DS)
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS)
Castlevania: (Wii Virtual Console NES)

Games I wished I played...

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (PS2)
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)

Currently, there are plans for a live-action Castlevania movie and filming may begin in Fall/Winter this year. I'm curious to see how it may turn out.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania_%28film%29[/url]

Plus, there's going to be a new PSP game Dracula X Chronicles and NECA is currently making action figures of four Castlevania characters Simon Belmont, Dracula, Alucard, and a Succubus which will be available sometime around Fall of this year.
Last edited by Vampire Killer on Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:44 pm

I played Curse of Darkness (didn't really like it much, it was okay though) and Symphony of the Night (incredible game). You should consider getting a PSP to buy Dracula X Chronicles, or get a 360 so you can download it, or scour the internet for the original PS1 game (good fucking luck). You can't call yourself a true Castlevania fan without playing SotN, dude...
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Vampire Killer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Vampire Killer » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:02 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:I played Curse of Darkness (didn't really like it much, it was okay though) and Symphony of the Night (incredible game). You should consider getting a PSP to buy Dracula X Chronicles, or get a 360 so you can download it, or scour the internet for the original PS1 game (good fucking luck). You can't call yourself a true Castlevania fan without playing SotN, dude...

Yes, I know. I'll make sure I find SotN ASAP.

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby fadingreminder » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:03 pm

Yeah, I love Castlevania too. I've play all the canon games. Even the crappy Game Boy Spinich ones... Castlevania 2 is still probably favorite with SotN or DS being a close second. Most of my childhood was spent trying to end Dracula's curse in CV2... I still hear the music from that game in my head almost every day. Greatest soundtrack... EVAR!

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:19 pm

Love SotN, everything else I pretty much skipped
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:47 pm

It would be worth going out and buying a used Playstation if all you played on it was SotN. Definitely one of THE best PS1 games. The GBA trilogy (Circle, Harmony, and Aria) are nearly as great as SotN. Seriously, you should get those games if you have a GBA.

The N64 Castlevania games weren't bad either.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:50 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:The N64 Castlevania games weren't bad either.

We don't talk about those.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:52 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:We don't talk about those.
They aren't nearly as bad as some have said. The 2nd one was pretty original (for Castlevania) and the first had some really memorable moments. Loved the Villa level and the garden maze.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:49 pm

SotN is a must play for anyone.

Gaming perfection, if only the voice acting didn't blow balls (minus Alucard, who is perfect), the game would be perfect.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:50 pm

Don't forget the awesome use of 3D!!! :D
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:09 pm

Played Dawn of Sorrow, which was good. I'll probably play Aria, Portrait of Ruin and Symphony of the Night at some stage as well. Maybe the SNES one too. I hear pretty much every 3D Castlevania game is rubbish so I probably won't bother with those.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:22 pm

ThroneofDravaris wrote:I hear pretty much every 3D Castlevania game is rubbish so I probably won't bother with those.

On the contrary; Lament of Innocence is apparently great.

Vampire Killer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Vampire Killer » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:45 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:It would be worth going out and buying a used Playstation if all you played on it was SotN. Definitely one of THE best PS1 games. The GBA trilogy (Circle, Harmony, and Aria) are nearly as great as SotN. Seriously, you should get those games if you have a GBA.

The N64 Castlevania games weren't bad either.

I have a PS2. Since PS2 is backwards-compatible with PS1 games, all I need is a PS1 memory card in order to save my game for SotN. I'm trying to check if any Gamestops near me carry USED copy of SotN. So far there's no luck, but I'll keep looking. If I still can't find it, I'll look at some other options. I've been always wanting to play the GBA trilogy.

ThroneofDravaris wrote:
I hear pretty much every 3D Castlevania game is rubbish so I probably won't bother with those.

On the contrary; Lament of Innocence is apparently great.

I've heard that the N64 games weren't that good, but I've been hearing good things about Lament of Innocence.

Edit: Last weekend, I've beated Castlevania (NES) and after beating the game the first time, hard mode begins. Don't get me wrong, I love games that are hard but the hard mode in Castlevania (NES), I can't handle it. Has anyone here ever beaten Castlevania (NES) in hard mode?
Last edited by Vampire Killer on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:13 am

I'd try either eBay, or Amazon and Half.com used sections. You could probably find one. Might not be real cheap though.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue May 18, 2010 7:25 pm

I was just playing Super Castlevania IV and thought I'd dig this up. This place needs more Castlevania discussion (excluding that N64 tripe). I grew up playing 1-3 on NES and like Fader said, I constantly hear "Bloody Tears" in my head to this day. SotN (Wakamoto as Dracula is fucking awesome) and CV4 are probably my favorites in the series though. Also, I'm buying a PSP soon so I'll finally be able to play Rondo of Blood.

So yeah, let's talk about some fucking Castlevania. What are your favorites, what do you think of the new Kojima Productions reboot with Patrick Stewart, etc?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Tue May 18, 2010 7:41 pm

The N64 games are my favorite. Although I've only played those two, along with Lament of Innocence and the original NES Castlevania on the GBA. I don't understand all the blind hate you people have, you all sicken me.
Last edited by MugwumpHasNoLiver on Tue May 18, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Tue May 18, 2010 8:02 pm

Ok, One castlevania game you need to play is Chii no Rondo on the PC Engine CD. Its awesome as it was a CD-Rom game that wasn't Pre-Rendered Video game like Night Trap, but inc orperated the cutscenes into the game and still had classic castlevania gameplay.

It was later ported to the SNES as Castlevania X: Rondo of Blood, but if you want the full experience get the PC Engine version.
Me and my Droogs.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scarmulletpart2
Serindip LLC are Nazis!!!!

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue May 18, 2010 9:04 pm

I love the older games, and SOTN is my personal favorite next to Castlevania III, and Castlevania X: Rondo of Blood. I never for the newer games, and I think the series got way to confusing for me when they start making newer games.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue May 18, 2010 9:12 pm

Ahh... good times!

Yes, I was a big fan of the series back in the NES/SNES days, but as a Metroid fan I'm also definately enjoying the 'castleroid' trend on the portables that was started by the amazing SoTN.

That said, Castlevania in 3d seems to be composed of at lease 90% fail by volume. The combat ends up being a crappy wannabe GoW, platforming sections are incredibly frustrating, the boss fights feel completely wrong, and the focus on melee precludes the chance to steal from the Metroid Prime style shooter/adventure gameplay that works so well.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue May 18, 2010 9:55 pm

Muggy, it's far from "blind hate". Those games were just awful. Bad combat, tedious gameplay, terrible camera, no Belmonts. NemZ said it pretty well so I'll just leave you with AVGN's 4 part retrospective on the series. In fact everyone should watch them. I don't agree with all of his points, but it's informative and funny and overall a great watch.

Castelvania
Castlevania 2-3
IV, Dracula X, N64 version
Bloodlines, SotN
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”