Advance ticket sales for "You Are (Not) Alone" sol

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Posts: 5751
Joined: Feb 03, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:28 pm

Executor wrote:
NAveryW wrote:
EVA Does It Best wrote:we can hope for a Spirited Away quality dub can't we?

You realize how much of the plot the English dub for Spirited Away changed, right?

How so? Please, i'm interested.
The biggest one I can remember is the ending. Miyazaki himself stated that Chichiro did not remember her li'l adventure in the end. But the dub strongly suggests otherwise. In the sub, the film simply ended with Chihiro's father asking her to come back to the car. But in the dub siphoned through John Lasseter and Disney, this was changed. They went and took the opening scene and re-edited to "replay" it for the ending in a kind of deus ex machina manner to suggest that see had indeed remembered what happened. There are a few other changes but I think other people could do a better job at explaining them. I only saw the sub and dub once each.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Executor
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 1109
Joined: Mar 23, 2007
Location: Banned

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Executor » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:51 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:
Executor wrote:
NAveryW wrote:
EVA Does It Best wrote:we can hope for a Spirited Away quality dub can't we?

You realize how much of the plot the English dub for Spirited Away changed, right?

How so? Please, i'm interested.
snip

So the main difference is that the ending is implied to be different from what it was originally intended?

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris
User avatar
Posts: 994
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Texas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:16 pm

I still think they did a good job on the English version of Spirited Away. I own it and I'm happy :)

Voices of a distant star too... but we're getting off topic.

If we do get a different Gendo, I won't mind as long as the new person does Gendo justice.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 5063
Joined: Dec 21, 2006

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby NAveryW » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:35 pm

Here's an idea: Get all of the Japanese VAs to redub it for English themselves! Everyone will be talking broken English in thick Japanese accents, but it'll DEFINITELY be closer to the original that way!
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

cat42
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1243
Joined: Aug 20, 2006
Location: The editing room
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby cat42 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:54 am

Honestly, I'd love to hear something like that at least once.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris
User avatar
Posts: 994
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Texas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:55 am

That'd be interesting actually... :wink:
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma
User avatar
Posts: 6301
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Attending Physician - AKA: Hell
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:32 am

The otaku would still complain that the voices weren't right. ;)
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Executor
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 1109
Joined: Mar 23, 2007
Location: Banned

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Executor » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:43 am

BrikHaus wrote:The otaku would still complain that the voices weren't right. ;)

Yep, like they complain about everything.
P.S., Congrats on getting to Forum-Elder-hood? ;)

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris
User avatar
Posts: 994
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Texas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:47 am

BrikHaus wrote:The otaku would still complain that the voices weren't right. ;)


Bah who cares about them... you can't get everything perfect...
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

EVA Does It Best
Embryo
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 11, 2006

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby EVA Does It Best » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:31 pm

BrikHaus wrote:The otaku would still complain that the voices weren't right. ;)


lol, think of this. A bunch of Japanese south park fans hating on Japanese dubs of the show just like everyone does about english dubs.

...come to think of it, i think i saw someone doing that on youtube.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:
Executor wrote:
NAveryW wrote:
EVA Does It Best wrote:we can hope for a Spirited Away quality dub can't we?

You realize how much of the plot the English dub for Spirited Away changed, right?

How so? Please, i'm interested.
The biggest one I can remember is the ending. Miyazaki himself stated that Chichiro did not remember her li'l adventure in the end. But the dub strongly suggests otherwise. In the sub, the film simply ended with Chihiro's father asking her to come back to the car. But in the dub siphoned through John Lasseter and Disney, this was changed. They went and took the opening scene and re-edited to "replay" it for the ending in a kind of deus ex machina manner to suggest that see had indeed remembered what happened. There are a few other changes but I think other people could do a better job at explaining them. I only saw the sub and dub once each.


i can see why people would be mad, because by her not remembering, it's actually pretty depressing, as if she (and us) went through all of that, learned so many lessons and in the end she never remembers a thing. that's pretty depressing, so i could see Disney changing it to make it a bit more of an uplifting ending. I mean i can't really doubt miyazaki's genious, but i have to disagree with him on having a bit of a downer ending, it just seems out of place to have such an upbeat adventure with a downbeat ending.

BACK ON TOPIC!: If in fact these ticket sales represent a huge demand, could it be possible for these films to be extremely high grossing, if so just imagine how Gainax could milk it.

would you guys actually prefer a new dub, with all new voices, change a few voices, or keep the english dub as it is.

for me personally, as long as the changed Shinji's voice, and tiffany granted acted the way she did in EoE i'd be happy, and they really have to do away with Fuyutsuki's voice from EoE.
Last edited by EVA Does It Best on Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Posts: 270
Joined: Aug 08, 2006
Location: Qc, Canada

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby AuthenticM » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:45 pm

EVA Does It Best wrote:would you guys actually prefer a new dub, with all new voices, change a few voices, or keep the english dub as it is.

They should change every English VA. But in the end, I don't give a fuck, as I'll be listening to the Jap seiyus. The only reason I care a little is for the sake of some hard-headed people out there who still refuse to listen to anime the way it is meant, that is, in Japanese. I want them to experience something (the dub) better than the original series, even if it still won't be as good as listening to said thing in Jap.
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris
User avatar
Posts: 994
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Texas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:01 pm

AuthenticM wrote:They should change every English VA. But in the end, I don't give a fuck, as I'll be listening to the Jap seiyus. The only reason I care a little is for the sake of some hard-headed people out there who still refuse to listen to anime the way it is meant, that is, in Japanese. I want them to experience something (the dub) better than the original series, even if it still won't be as good as listening to said thing in Jap.


So does this make me a hard head? :lol:

I like the subs, I just love listening to dubs also. I like hearing the story from both sides.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

EVA Does It Best
Embryo
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 11, 2006

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby EVA Does It Best » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:56 pm

AuthenticM wrote:
EVA Does It Best wrote:would you guys actually prefer a new dub, with all new voices, change a few voices, or keep the english dub as it is.

They should change every English VA. But in the end, I don't give a fuck, as I'll be listening to the Jap seiyus. The only reason I care a little is for the sake of some hard-headed people out there who still refuse to listen to anime the way it is meant, that is, in Japanese. I want them to experience something (the dub) better than the original series, even if it still won't be as good as listening to said thing in Jap.


sorry i'm a hard head, but sometimes the emotion is lost when your stuck reading small words at the bottom of the screen.

seriously though, it's annoying for people who think they're so elite because they hate dubs. What about FLCL, the original Japanese voice director was on hand to watchover the english dub, meaning he wants others to enjoy and love what Japanese audiences got.

there's nothing wrong with dubs when they're done right.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 2236
Joined: Jul 14, 2004
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:03 pm

EVA Does It Best wrote:
BACK ON TOPIC!: If in fact these ticket sales represent a huge demand, could it be possible for these films to be extremely high grossing, if so just imagine how Gainax could milk it.

If Gainax is good in one thing, that's exactly the "case of the milk!"

EVA Does It Best wrote:there's nothing wrong with dubs when they're done right.

Ha, that was a nice joke! There are good dubs out there? :lol:


Seriously, in case of Eva, please someone shoot english-Ritsuko! The only one i can stand is Tiffany Grant and Alison Shipp.

And back on topic, unfortunately i live in Europe, so yeah. Stuck till a dvd release which is like wait-forever. :cry:
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

EVA Does It Best
Embryo
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 11, 2006

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby EVA Does It Best » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:06 pm

the_seventh_child wrote:
EVA Does It Best wrote:
BACK ON TOPIC!: If in fact these ticket sales represent a huge demand, could it be possible for these films to be extremely high grossing, if so just imagine how Gainax could milk it.

If Gainax is good in one thing, that's exactly the "case of the milk!"

EVA Does It Best wrote:there's nothing wrong with dubs when they're done right.

Ha, that was a nice joke! :lol:
Seriously though, IMO there are no good dubs out there, a 7% percent of the whole 100%.

And back on topic, unfortunately i live in Europe, so yeah. Stuck till a dvd release which is like wait-forever. :cry:


lol, how far could that case of milk take them, honestly i really could see gainax making an Angelic Days series, or even something that nobody could expect, a continuation or prequel to evangelion to coincide with the new fans of rebuild and regenerated interest from old fans.

no there is nothing wrong with dubs, there are good dubs, such as akira (new dub), Spirited Away and FLCL, it can easily be done, it's just that american distributers just don't spend the money to hire good voice actors.

as for stuck waiting, i'm positive there will be bootlegs avalible via bit torrent VERY quickly, with a fansub following soon after.

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Posts: 270
Joined: Aug 08, 2006
Location: Qc, Canada

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby AuthenticM » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:34 pm

EVA Does It Best wrote:seriously though, it's annoying for people who think they're so elite because they hate dubs.

I don't think of myself as 'elite'. I'm saying that Japanese dubs are better than English dubs.

EVA Does It Best wrote:there's nothing wrong with dubs when they're done right

Of course. But, like you said, they have to be done right; which, sadly, isn't most of the time.
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

EVA Does It Best
Embryo
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 11, 2006

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby EVA Does It Best » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:56 pm

AuthenticM wrote:
EVA Does It Best wrote:seriously though, it's annoying for people who think they're so elite because they hate dubs.

I don't think of myself as 'elite'. I'm saying that Japanese dubs are better than English dubs.

EVA Does It Best wrote:there's nothing wrong with dubs when they're done right

Of course. But, like you said, they have to be done right; which, sadly, isn't most of the time.


o yeah i agree, it really is painful to watch a good anime brought down by a shitty dub. For me if that's true i just switch on the subs, but for many people they just don't bother to watch.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma
User avatar
Posts: 6301
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Attending Physician - AKA: Hell
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:56 pm

the_seventh_child wrote:
EVA Does It Best wrote:there's nothing wrong with dubs when they're done right.

Ha, that was a nice joke! There are good dubs out there? :lol:

You returned the forum after the epic Dubs Vs. Subs thread lost momentum. [url]http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=70590#70590[/url]
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 22566
Joined: Aug 13, 2006
Location: Living in Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:58 pm

The only ones I can stand is Tiffany Grant and Alison Shipp.


Ditto. O_o (Great minds think alike??)

There ARE good dubs out there, the only ones that come to mind seeing as I've only seen a dubbed episode of each, is Excel Saga and Ai Yori Aoshi.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 2236
Joined: Jul 14, 2004
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:36 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
The only ones I can stand is Tiffany Grant and Alison Shipp.


Ditto. O_o (Great minds think alike??)

I guess so! :wink:

BrikHaus thanks for the thread, interesting.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)


Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest