Asuka line in the fight with armisael

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
zephyr72
Lilith

Asuka line in the fight with armisael

•      
  •      

Postby zephyr72 » Tue May 29, 2007 3:50 am

Does anybody remember this line, after Asuka proves useless in this particular battle, where she basically says that she hates the fact that Shinji was sent out to protect Rei, but not her during her mind rape episode. I find it kind of interesting that she is always saying she doesn`t want to be saved and goes practically suicidal/murderous everytime she loses (to Shinji), but she still basically says she wanted to be saved by Shinji. Why is this?

PS I did do a thread search and didn`t come up with anything so please don`t hang me.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue May 29, 2007 4:19 am

This bit?

ep. 23 wrote:IKARI:
The suspension on Unit 01 has been lifted as of now.
Send him out immediately.
Send him out.

Misato:
Yes, Sir.

Asuka:
What? You didn't send him out for me.

Perhaps it was just the thought she was offended by. She probably didn't want either Rei or Shinji's help (just the way she is). So perhaps she was just upset that nobody sent Shinji to save her?

Kinda like:

"I don't want anyone to save me, but I want someone to want to save me."
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Re: Asuka line in the fight with armisael

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue May 29, 2007 7:13 am

zephyr72 wrote:I find it kind of interesting that she is always saying she doesn`t want to be saved and goes practically suicidal/murderous everytime she loses (to Shinji), but she still basically says she wanted to be saved by Shinji. Why is this?

Yep, that's another of Asuka's complex: "I hate you all, die and rot in hell blah blah.. Um, why don't you give a shit about me? You all suck big time!"

Seriously, you wouldn't expect --especially-- Asuka to make her thoughts loud and clear right? :wink:
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 29, 2007 12:46 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Perhaps it was just the thought she was offended by.

When she (the number one ace pilot) had been left hung out to dry the previous time, but useless "wonder"-girl had immediate support, she had every reason to be pissed off.

She was operating without the full background on what was really going on (and why Gendo was being cagy about using EVA-01) -- but having been shown as the most tactically adept member of the cast (see ep#11), I can understand her frustration.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue May 29, 2007 12:51 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Eva Yojimbo wrote:Perhaps it was just the thought she was offended by.

When she (the number one ace pilot) had been left hung out to dry the previous time, but useless "wonder"-girl had immediate support, she had every reason to be pissed off.

She was operating without the full background on what was really going on (and why Gendo was being cagy about using EVA-01) -- but having been shown as the most tactically adept member of the cast (see ep#11), I can understand her frustration.

Oh yeah that is absolutely right. She got all the shit thrown in her face in the worst way possible, so yeah, her reaction afterwards was nice enough.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed May 30, 2007 5:11 pm

she just wanted to act like an adult, and didnt want anybodys help
but she still is a child, who really does depend on other people (sometimes)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 30, 2007 5:30 pm

Having the starting stages of NPD* can do that to you. (What Asuka suffers from, which is a combination of self-worship and self-doubt.)
Asuka WANTS Shinji's help and love, but at the same time, SHE still wants to be the best..... *sigh* They're so fucked up, thus different from other anime couples out there. THAT'S why I love 'em as a pairing! ^^;

*More about this here: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/narcissistic-personality-disorder/DS00652

I mean, come, just LOOK at this list and tell me this doesn't sound like Asuka (bolded by me):

Signs and symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder may include:

* Grandiose sense of one's own abilities or achievements
* Fantasies about having exceptional power, attractiveness or success
* Sense of belonging to an exclusive group of people who truly understand each other (Though Asuka belongs to an "exclusive group of people" Eva Pilots, she certinaly doesn't bother trying to understand them!)
* Need for constant praise
* Expectations of special treatment
* Exploitation of other people
* Lack of empathy for other people
* Envy of other people or a belief that you are the subject of other people's envy
* Haughty or arrogant behaviors
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed May 30, 2007 5:47 pm

OTOH, having a one-in-a-billion talent might be taken as a reasonable excuse for all that.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Wed May 30, 2007 6:51 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Signs and symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder may include:

* Grandiose sense of one's own abilities or achievements
* Fantasies about having exceptional power, attractiveness or success
* Sense of belonging to an exclusive group of people who truly understand each other (Though Asuka belongs to an "exclusive group of people" Eva Pilots, she certinaly doesn't bother trying to understand them!)
* Need for constant praise
* Expectations of special treatment
* Exploitation of other people
* Lack of empathy for other people
* Envy of other people or a belief that you are the subject of other people's envy
* Haughty or arrogant behaviors

Jesus Christ. Asuka fits in with every single one, even the ones not bolded!!

While Asuka is talented, I hardly believes her skills merit her behavior towards others.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Wed May 30, 2007 6:53 pm

Asuka always needed to be put in her place throughout the entirity of the series. Seriosly, she gets really annoying until epi. 22

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Wed May 30, 2007 6:54 pm

Executor wrote:Asuka always needed to be put in her place throughout the entirity of the series. Seriosly, she gets really annoying until epi. 22

Part of her charm. :wink:

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Wed May 30, 2007 7:00 pm

And, yet, that is exactly why NERV, in almost any context, can't really be taken seriosly as a military organization. Aside from the children, if a military had somebody like Asuka, she'd difinatly get busted up by your local Gunnery Sargent Hartman, or flat-out reject, or kicked out of the military.

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Wed May 30, 2007 7:00 pm

the_seventh_child wrote:Part of her charm. :wink:

Charm.....

lol. :D
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Wed May 30, 2007 7:39 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:OTOH, having a one-in-a-billion talent might be taken as a reasonable excuse for all that.

No it doesn't! There is no excuse for it what-so-ever. Saying there is is an apologist attitude.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed May 30, 2007 7:44 pm

Tokpile Quohog wrote:
Stardust-chan wrote:Symptoms of NPD
Jesus Christ. Asuka fits in with every single one, even the ones not bolded!! <snip>
QFT
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed May 30, 2007 7:48 pm

Executor wrote:And, yet, that is exactly why NERV, in almost any context, can't really be taken seriosly as a military organization. Aside from the children, if a military had somebody like Asuka, she'd difinatly get busted up by your local Gunnery Sargent Hartman, or flat-out reject, or kicked out of the military.
Considering they were kinda at the mercy of those kids and needed them to pilot the Evas, I really don't see what they could've done. If any of them got fed up and left, that would be the end of... well, everything.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 30, 2007 9:42 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:OTOH, having a one-in-a-billion talent might be taken as a reasonable excuse for all that.

No it doesn't! There is no excuse for it what-so-ever. Saying there is is an apologist attitude.

Exactly, AEF. That's like saying there's an excuse for feeling sorry for yourself and its OK to feel suciedal and or attempt it if you have Depression & Anxiety. Instead of feeling sorry for yourself/making excuses, DO SOMETHING to change how things are*. eg, "If people don't change themselves, nothing will change." or whatever it was Kaworu-kun said.

*I should know, as my feelings of giving up were coming on REALLY strongly today and this past weekend. -_- Feeling like EVERYTHING in life is terrible is NOT good. >_<
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Big Panda
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Big Panda » Wed May 30, 2007 11:01 pm

I was on wikipedia (I know... I'm sorry...) and I found this:

True self, false self

Alexander Lowen describes pathological narcissism, and narcissistic personality disorder, as "the denial of the true self"

Masterson describes the creation of a false self as:

"When a young child fails to separate her own self-image from that of her mother. This happens roughly between the ages of two and three, often because of a parent’s own emotional problems. A mother’s encouragement of a child’s self-assertion is vital. When the mother suffers from low self-esteem, she has difficulty encouraging her child’s emerging self. The child experiences this absence as a loss of self, creating feelings of abandonment that lead to depression. To deal with the depression, the child gives up efforts to support her emerging self. Instead, she relies on her mother’s approval to maintain the esteem of a 'false self'."

---

Despite some few things, that frightfuly hit it.

And since I realized that I suck to make a point in english, I'm gonna leave the obvious rest to you guys. Sry.
I guess it's time for a decent sig right? NAHHHHHHHH

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Wed May 30, 2007 11:30 pm

I don't blame Asuka for being a bitch anymore than I blame Shinji for being a wuss (I really wanted to use a really bad word here, but decided against it). They don't need to make excuses for the way they are any more than other mentally ill people. It was just there messed up ways of coping with their respective god awful situations, so cut em a lil slack, kay?

Seariouzly.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed May 30, 2007 11:50 pm

TriLink12 wrote:I don't blame Asuka for being a bitch anymore than I blame Shinji for being a wuss (I really wanted to use a really bad word here, but decided against it). They don't need to make excuses for the way they are any more than other mentally ill people. It was just there messed up ways of coping with their respective god awful situations, so cut em a lil slack, kay?

Seariouzly.
People have problems. Some can deal with their problems themselves. Some hide them away in the dark recesses and go on and live normal lives. Some turn themselves into something else to forget their problems. The worst people are so consumed by what they're dealing with they can't live functional lives as 'normal', healthy people.

In NGE, the characters tend to fall into a few of these categories. The consistent thing is though, these are all characters who need help. The ironic thing is that EVERY character in the series needs help. When everyone's as messed up as you are, who do you turn to? Shinji and Asuka can't be blamed for the people they became to deal with their psychological problems. They just needed help to deal with them. And with only each other to REALLY turn to, what good could they ever have accomplished?

I think this is why people who are depressed or who have ever seriously been depressed tend to "get" NGE more than most others. One friend of mine who dealt with depression for a long time described it as "sreaming out for someone - anyone to help you inside, but never getting a response." To me, that's precisely what the characters in NGE are doing throughout the entire series.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”