[Film] Indiana Jones IV

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

[Film] Indiana Jones IV

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat May 26, 2007 7:04 pm

I'm a HUGE Indiana Jones fan. I've always loved the movies. I have been following the start and stop nature of the fourth film for the last, what, six years? Anyway, you can imagine I was thrilled to find out that it's finally been green lighted, and will be headed into production some time this summer.

I have been reading some spoilers on line (I know, it's terrible, but I just can't avoid them) from TheRaider.net which is a reliable source. Unfortunately, from the spoilers, the new film sounds as if it might be horrible. We all know that Lucas is a hack, Ford hasn't picked a good role in 10 years, and Spielberg hasn't done anything astounding lately. Either their careers will be revitalized, or this will be the final nail in the coffin for Indy.

Highlight for the spoilers:

The opening scene will take place in Area 51 and will have Indy up against Russian agents. (me: Area 51? Give me a break!)

Shia LaBeouf is going to be playing a greaser, wearing jeans and a leather jacket and riding around on a motorcycle.

Karen Allen will be reprising the role of Marion Ravenwood in Indiana Jones 4, and she’s going to be Shia LaBeouf’s mom.

Indy and Shia will be thrown together in this adventure but will not learn they’re related until a pivotal action scene.

The main storyline revolves around crystal skulls and pulls from "Chariots of the Gods," a book written in 1968 by Erich von Däniken. The book theorizes that technology and religion were given to ancient civilizations by aliens, whom the people worshipped as Gods. (me: I know these movies have always had a fantastical element to them, but aliens? Come on, guys, you can do better than that!)

Anyway, I'll always be a fan of the franchise. Indy is kind of like my hero. What do you guys think of the films?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat May 26, 2007 8:33 pm

Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the greatest films ever IMO. The Last Crusade was a little better than The Temple of Doom to me. I am very skeptical of this upcoming film, though. I would love to have Spielberg, Ford and crew "go home again" but I do not think I can bet on it.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat May 26, 2007 8:45 pm

My sister, being a big Indy fan, is all pumped up. I like the films despite their huge number of technical anachronisms, but remain skeptical about the new one.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Sat May 26, 2007 8:48 pm

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new Indy. Although after the Star Wars Prequels, I'm not sure I can ever look forward to a big movie sequel quite the same way again.

My thoughts on the plot...

SPOILER WARNING

BrikHaus wrote:The opening scene will take place in Area 51 and will have Indy up against Russian agents. (me: Area 51? Give me a break!)

WOW! AREA 51? How original!

Shia LaBeouf is going to be playing a greaser, wearing jeans and a leather jacket and riding around on a motorcycle.

Ehh, Shia LaBeouf's okay I guess. It's hard to believe he's staring in movies after the whole "Even Stevens" thing. Good for him.

Karen Allen will be reprising the role of Marion Ravenwood in Indiana Jones 4, and she’s going to be Shia LaBeouf’s mom.

It's about time. Where the hell was Marion in TOD and TLC anway?

Indy and Shia will be thrown together in this adventure but will not learn they’re related until a pivotal action scene.

Oh, great. One of those "Oh my God, I have a son?!" moments. Pretty much a cop-out for the writers when they can't think of anything better .

The main storyline revolves around crystal skulls and pulls from "Chariots of the Gods," a book written in 1968 by Erich von Däniken. The book theorizes that technology and religion were given to ancient civilizations by aliens, whom the people worshipped as Gods. (me: I know these movies have always had a fantastical element to them, but aliens? Come on, guys, you can do better than that!)

My only question: When does Ba'al show up (Seriously, this reeks of Stargate, everything from the aliens to the crystal skull bit).
Last edited by TriLink on Sun May 27, 2007 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat May 26, 2007 9:19 pm

The 80's are long over hollywood needs to let sleeping dogs lie.

Indy is a damn fine movie series, but I've got a feeling it's beating a dead horse at this point.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Sat May 26, 2007 9:56 pm

They'd better get the fucking movie out very soon, I mean, Harrison Ford is like, what, 64 at this point? And Sean Connery isnt going to last that much longer, either...

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sun May 27, 2007 6:35 am

I don't dare read this thread. Bound to be riddled with spoilers. I'll just say my piece which is this;

One, Indiana Jones is the epitome of adventure, and thusly maybe the greatest movie-trilogy ever.

Two, Harrison Ford is a giant hack tho, and his acting isn't nearly as great as that of Arnold Schwartzenegger. But however horrible an actor he is, he still works as Indy, and I wouldn't trade him for the world.

And three, something about how stoked I am and you too should be to see this movie, and how I'm keeping fingers crossed it'll be worthy. It could be, right?
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun May 27, 2007 7:56 am

I've been a fan of IJ, after watching the second and the third movie. The first didn't make an impression on me.

Now, for the upcoming movie, i gotta say "i've got a bad feeling about this".
What BrikHaus mentions in his opening post is right. The threee most important people for the show are not exactly in a roll. I'm being very cautious about it.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Sun May 27, 2007 3:09 pm

Executor wrote:They'd better get the fucking movie out very soon, I mean, Harrison Ford is like, what, 64 at this point? And Sean Connery isnt going to last that much longer, either...

Ford's definitely getting up there in age, and I'd say the chances of Connery actually making an appearance are slim to nil. He's 77 years old, and I think he might have even stopped making movies altogether.

And after The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, this might be a good thing.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun May 27, 2007 3:16 pm

TriLink12 wrote:
Executor wrote:They'd better get the fucking movie out very soon, I mean, Harrison Ford is like, what, 64 at this point? And Sean Connery isnt going to last that much longer, either...

Ford's definitely getting up there in age, and I'd say the chances of Connery actually making an appearance are slim to nil. He's 77 years old, and I think he might have even stopped making movies altogether.

And after The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, this might be a good thing.

Yeah that's right, haven't thought about it this way.

Btw your avatar is great. <3 House!
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Sun May 27, 2007 3:19 pm

He just changed it back, FYI. I like my new avatar, it inspires contempt. :twisted:

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun May 27, 2007 3:22 pm

the_seventh_child wrote:Btw your avatar is great. <3 House!

pfft... House is nothing compared to Jeeves and Wooster

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun May 27, 2007 3:31 pm

Ornette wrote:

Oh i think he is! :P

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun May 27, 2007 4:00 pm

the_seventh_child wrote:
Ornette wrote:

Oh i think he is! :P

Oh I would care to disagree, as Hugh Laurie was born to play Bertie Wooster.

But anyways, I remember watching Indiana Jones in the theatres when I was a kid. I never watched television much back then, and even less of it now, not to mention I rarely go to see new movies as I tend to fall asleep 15 minutes into the bland stuff hollywood churns out, so chances are, I'll either watch it if someone rents it for nostalgic reasons or I'll probably never watch it.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:33 am

First pic. Grandpa Jones is looking a little old :? No matter, I'm still going to see this thing on opening day, anyway.

I love how this picture was taken on the first day of shooting, and Indy is already covered in dirt and blood.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:15 pm

NO MORE SEQUELS!
NO MORE SEQUELS!
NO MORE SEQUELS!
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:06 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:NO MORE SEQUELS!
NO MORE SEQUELS!
NO MORE SEQUELS!
...UNLESS THEY DON'T SUCK (AND ARE ULTIMATELY BOX-OFFICE/DVD-PROFITABLE :roll:)

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:08 pm

Well, better old Harrison Ford than some new actor...
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:48 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:Well, better old Harrison Ford than some new actor...
Agreed!!!

Though I am a little concerned about the likes of Shia LeBeouf, among other plot points...

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:44 pm

TriLink12 wrote:

Connery's already pulled out:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2007-06-07-connery-indy4_N.htm

Seems he likes retirement too much.

Return to “Film and Video”