So, was emo Asuka really trying to be AN HERO in #24?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

simon
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby simon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:47 pm

The pics posted in the opening post show that she hasn't got her wrists cut.

That's why my theory where Asuka aims at hypothermia is more accurate. Remember the magma diver episode and the breast joke? She knows about temperature and it's effects so if she wanted to commit suicide than few hours in cold water (below 25 C degree) would be her choice.

It's pretty obvious for me she wanted to kill herself.

Formless One
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:16 pm

Those pics are very ambiguous. One one hand, the red streaks are very evocative of blood; on the other, we are never shown a close enough shot of her wrists to see for sure that she cut them. Even after she is in the hospital, it flip flops between one shot where you can see a bandage around one wrist, and the "Shinji fap" scene where it conspicuously disappears.

when you can't even tell if there is water in the tub, its time to move on to other evidence, cause this line of reasoning will get us nowhere. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So now I ask you, who would want to freeze to death? Slitting your wrists is relatively painless and quick, especially when paired with painkillers. Hypothermia is a horrible experience, right up there with starving or dehydration. I'm sure Asuka knows this. If she wants her suffering to end, she is not going to chose a death that is slow and painful, she's going to take the quick way out.

And BTW, its pretty much a given at this point that she was trying to kill herself. Now we're just trying to figure out her method.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Ark
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ark » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:40 pm

This may have already been mentioned but if she hadn't tried to harm herself in some way why is she in hospital on a drip?
Maya Ibuki- "We're so lucky to be living in such a wonderful time."

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:14 pm

Wait! Anno likes using visual symbolism. Maybe Asuka symbolically cut her wrists.

To wit, say the streaks in the tub are rust. By using a specific placement of those rust steaks in the tub, it looks like Asuka's cut her wrists, thus symbolizing how she feels that she's dying on the inside.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

simon
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby simon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:58 pm

Formless One wrote:Those pics are very ambiguous. One one hand, the red streaks are very evocative of blood; on the other, we are never shown a close enough shot of her wrists to see for sure that she cut them. Even after she is in the hospital, it flip flops between one shot where you can see a bandage around one wrist, and the "Shinji fap" scene where it conspicuously disappears.

when you can't even tell if there is water in the tub, its time to move on to other evidence, cause this line of reasoning will get us nowhere. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So now I ask you, who would want to freeze to death? Slitting your wrists is relatively painless and quick, especially when paired with painkillers. Hypothermia is a horrible experience, right up there with starving or dehydration. I'm sure Asuka knows this. If she wants her suffering to end, she is not going to chose a death that is slow and painful, she's going to take the quick way out.

And BTW, its pretty much a given at this point that she was trying to kill herself. Now we're just trying to figure out her method.

Ummm, How can a hot bath be painful? Is there any more pleasant way to kill yourself than falling asleep in warm bath? I cought myself half-sleeping in the tub during long night baths, suddenly realizing it's damn dangerous. And I'm not suicidal.

You are warm and cosy, you fall asleep, few hours later the water gets colder, you die in your sleep. I can't imagine a better and more peaceful way to depart.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:03 pm

simon wrote:That's why my theory where Asuka aims at hypothermia is more accurate.

Except that this is a world in which winter no longer exists and dying of hypothermia in a bathtub in summer heat is, shall we say, not especially efficient.

Formless One
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:18 pm

simon wrote:Ummm, How can a hot bath be painful? Is there any more pleasant way to kill yourself than falling asleep in warm bath? I cought myself half-sleeping in the tub during long night baths, suddenly realizing it's damn dangerous. And I'm not suicidal.

You are warm and cosy, you fall asleep, few hours later the water gets colder, you die in your sleep. I can't imagine a better and more peaceful way to depart.

Except the water probably isn't warm. Or clean. This is the middle of a ruined building, what water is in there was probably there when she found it, if there was any in there in the first place. You had the luxury of running water and a water heater. Big difference.

And if She wanted to drown to death, she would have done it the same way some people have suggested Shinji tried to do it: by jumping in the lake. I know you didn't suggest this one, but I know you were thinking it.
[/opinion]

simon
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby simon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:41 pm

BobBQ wrote:
simon wrote:That's why my theory where Asuka aims at hypothermia is more accurate.

Except that this is a world in which winter no longer exists and dying of hypothermia in a bathtub in summer heat is, shall we say, not especially efficient.

Actually you don't need winter for it. According to the most obvious resource the water temperature must be just below 25 degree Celsius. Even at a hot night it's possible.

@Formless One
Still, my dear, she could have just go to sleep in the bathtub, even if the water wasn't warm. No cosy falling asleep, but still death in the sleep.

The building won't collapse if you take away all the furniture (if you know what I mean) Change your tactics.

Formless One wrote:And if She wanted to drown to death (...) I know you didn't suggest this one.

You're right, I didn't suggest this one.

Formless One
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:02 pm

Still, my dear, she could have just go to sleep in the bathtub, even if the water wasn't warm. No cosy falling asleep, but still death in the sleep.

My idiot, didn't I already tell you that she would prefer a quick, comfortable, painless death? There is little to no way someone is going to fall asleep in that tub.

Plus, if she has to wait until nightfall, and its the middle of a hot summer day (noon, judging by the position of the sun), she is going to either wait until twilight to take off her clothes and hop in, or if she isn't willing to wait 'cause she's suffering mentally, she's going to find a quicker way to die.

I have a tactic to suggest to YOU: conceed.

You're right, I didn't suggest this one.

But you were thinking it! :)

And it was what I thought you were suggesting when I first saw your post, so I thought I'd knock that one out before anyone else suggested it.
[/opinion]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:20 pm

FormlessOne and simon: If you're going to disagree, do it respectfully.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:18 pm

Formless One wrote:And if She wanted to drown to death, she would have done it the same way some people have suggested Shinji tried to do it: by jumping in the lake. I know you didn't suggest this one, but I know you were thinking it.

One difference. Shinji can't swim. Asuka can.

Zerogoki
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Zerogoki » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:07 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:Wait! Anno likes using visual symbolism. Maybe Asuka symbolically cut her wrists.

To wit, say the streaks in the tub are rust. By using a specific placement of those rust steaks in the tub, it looks like Asuka's cut her wrists, thus symbolizing how she feels that she's dying on the inside.

Now this I like! More in fitting with Anno's habit of the subtle and the stylistic, anyway.
zerogokiru theories make Zerogoki want to hit walls...
#I've got a soul,
But I'm not going to tell you whose...#

"It was originally Happy Magic Virtue Shield." NAveryW on the heap of odd that is the Enchanted Shield of Virtue...
Brikhaus: "I would use Eva-02 (because it's red) to deliver toys to all the good little girls and boys of the world on a single night. That night? September 19th, which is Talk Like a Pirate Day."

Stuffy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Stuffy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:57 pm

Zerogoki wrote:
CorporalChaos wrote:Wait! Anno likes using visual symbolism. Maybe Asuka symbolically cut her wrists.

Now this I like! More in fitting with Anno's habit of the subtle and the stylistic, anyway.

Agree'd ;) Why fight a pointless battle of arguments?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:11 pm

Does it really matter how she planned to die?

The point is that she clearly wanted to end her life. Everything else is just details and filler.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

chimptastic
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby chimptastic » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:36 am

Well said, Nemz.
Everything's better with chimps...

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:07 pm

It does matter. Because we like fighting about the smallest of details. It's what we do =P
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Action_Bastard
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:16 pm

It seems to me that this thread should have died some while ago......
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Formless One
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:28 pm

It did. Simon thought he had a new insight on the topic, so he revived it. We have since shown that it all depends on your interpretation of Anno's intentions for the character, scene, and visual metaphores, so there is no way to reach any other concensus other than "yup, she was definitely trying to kill herself."
[/opinion]

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:44 pm

The point is, since this is a forum for deeper discussion in finding little hidden connections and other gems in the series, as long as there is new material provided or debate is going strong, I see no reason why a thread should continue indefinitely.

Oh, dear me, I'm posting off-topic myself. I'll hold off on any more comments in this thread until someone brings something new to light.

NeverKnowsBest
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby NeverKnowsBest » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:01 pm

I am very sorry for the necro guys, seeing as I don't really bring anything to the table.

I was wondering has panel of Evangelion's creators ever been asked the questions pretaining to Asuka in the tub scene? If so, what was their response. (*praying they didn't tell the fans to interpret the scene themselves...*)

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”