Pokemon

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Fri May 18, 2007 7:36 am

Why do people say the game is going on too long? Final Fantasy has been going on forever and has pretty much the same mechanics over and over just with more new shit thrown in, and people don't complain about that. Same with Zelda, Mario(and Mario Party) and so on.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Fri May 18, 2007 11:37 am

I don't think the game's been going on for too long. Hell, the new ones just broke some pre-ordering record or something, so you'd have to freakin insane to cancel them. I do think they need to change up their gameplay though.

Games like Zelda manage to stick around for so long becasue they do such a good job of changing their gameplay elements from game to game (the whole wolf thing for example), keeping things fresh. And Final Fantasy has an awesome storyline...from what I hear.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri May 18, 2007 11:41 am

I'm beginning to think I'm the only person on this forum that has never played a Pokemon game or watched more than three episodes of the show. Of course, Mr. Tines might be with me.

Your not alone although I have seen more then 3 episodes but only because I was too lazy to chang ethe channel at the time.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Fri May 18, 2007 12:48 pm

I never got into the anime or trading cards* but I have played most of the video games. They are fun, easy and give me something to do when I am bored. Right now I have both Diamond and Pearl and am in the process of playing them. Albeit rather slowly. I got both of them when they first came out and I just got my 8th badge on diamond and the 2nd on pearl.

:lol: I named my Piplup/Prinplup/Empoleon- PenPen and my Turtwig/Grotle- Spike. (See if you can guess where I got the Spike name from.)

*When I was in junior high/high school Magic was the card game that was popular, I didn't even know about pokemon that much till I got in college.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Fri May 18, 2007 1:17 pm

Hunter21 wrote:*When I was in junior high/high school Magic was the card game that was popular, I didn't even know about pokemon that much till I got in college.

It still is. I graduated 3 years ago, and I remember there were entire tables dedicated to playing that game.

I named my Turtwig/Grotle- Spike. (See if you can guess where I got the Spike name from.)

LOOKS LIKE WE GOT US A SPIKE SPENCER FAN HERE FELLAS! :P
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Fri May 18, 2007 3:43 pm

TriLink12 wrote:
I named my Turtwig/Grotle- Spike. (See if you can guess where I got the Spike name from.)

LOOKS LIKE WE GOT US A SPIKE SPENCER FAN HERE FELLAS! :P

*Smacks Trilink upside the head for lameness*

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Fri May 18, 2007 4:03 pm

Aw cmon...you know you love em. No need to be embarassed. :D

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat May 19, 2007 7:00 am

When it comes to the dub vs. sub debates I am most definitely a sub fan. American VA's are worthless in most cases and Spike absolutely sucked in his role. So there is no way I would even kid about using his name for anything more than naming a piece of shit. :roll: Take your whiny responces to the proper sub vs. dub thread if you don't like my opinion.

The Spike I am referring to is from a cartoon you probably watched as a kid (or now if you baby-sit kids). Grotle pays a passing resemblance to the character.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Sat May 19, 2007 10:54 am

I accept your apology.

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Sat May 19, 2007 12:18 pm

next thing you know we will all be giving out our friend codes....

0086 8780 7035
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Sat May 19, 2007 2:09 pm

just for fun

Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 19, 2007 2:24 pm

I played quite a bit of Pokemon in my time, though the franchise lost me after Gold/Silver.

slothen wrote:did they add the hundred or so dumbass pokemon? or did they stick with the original 150 BADASSES?

There are some pretty stupid Pokemon in the original 151 if you look hard enough. Like Mr. Mime and Jynx. Ugh.

Hexon.Arq wrote:The cartoon has probably the only English redub I can actually sit through and enjoy, primarily because I've never even heard the original and I watched enough Pokemon in English during elementary/junior high to have gotten used to it even if I had heard the original. Every once in a while I'll catch as newer episode of this asinine show on TV and, strangely, find it completely watchable.

It's almost entirely the same with me. There were these little comics of the first few episodes in Nintendo Power, and they made me curious enough to check out the actual show. The dub is really pure cheese, and it is downright painful in places, but it has its fun moments and it didn't detract from the entertainment value of the original (which is not readily available outside of Japanese, damn you 4Kids...) enough for me to care.

I've seen some clips from the Japanese show, and the voices in the dub seem to range from virtually spot-on (Satoshi and Ash come to mind) to wildly different (see e.g. Kojiro vs. James and Nyarth vs. Meowth). I kinda liked how 4Kids, for all its evils, retained some of the original Pokemon voices, though I found it amusing how they'd leave in things like "Onix" bellowing out "Iwark!!!" and "Electabuzz" going "Eleboo!".

BrikHaus wrote:"I got to buy it, I got to buy it, Chinpokomon!"

I will take your Roostor and put it into this plastic bag where it will expire or flourish depending on fate!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sat May 19, 2007 4:37 pm

The pokemon manga is a million times more enjoyable than the show. I had the chance to read a volume and it is not kid friendly :D . In the manga "self-destruct" actually kills the pokemon using it. Any form of cut actually cuts and causes bleeding and sometimes dismemberment. If they made that into an anime it would be pretty cool. Oh, and the trainers are in as much danger as the pokemon themselves because they can get attacked too.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Sat May 19, 2007 4:47 pm

Reichu wrote:There are some pretty stupid Pokemon in the original 151 if you look hard enough. Like Mr. Mime and Jynx. Ugh.

Are you kidding? In Red Blue and Yellow versions having a pokemon th at can learn psychic AND ice moves was awesome, I took out A LOT of my friends with good ol Jynxie. Looks don't make a pokemon strong.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sat May 19, 2007 4:48 pm

Tokpile Quohog wrote:The pokemon manga is a million times more enjoyable than the show. I had the chance to read a volume and it is not kid friendly :D . In the manga "self-destruct" actually kills the pokemon using it. Any form of cut actually cuts and causes bleeding and sometimes dismemberment. If they made that into an anime it would be pretty cool. Oh, and the trainers are in as much danger as the pokemon themselves because they can get attacked too.

Interesting... I'll have to check that out someday.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat May 19, 2007 5:22 pm

Tokpile Quohog wrote:The pokemon manga is a million times more enjoyable than the show. I had the chance to read a volume and it is not kid friendly :D . In the manga "self-destruct" actually kills the pokemon using it. Any form of cut actually cuts and causes bleeding and sometimes dismemberment. If they made that into an anime it would be pretty cool. Oh, and the trainers are in as much danger as the pokemon themselves because they can get attacked too.

OH SHIT!!!
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat May 19, 2007 8:40 pm

Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sat May 19, 2007 9:39 pm

Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Sat May 19, 2007 9:41 pm

People always seem to like the original of something more than it's sequels, regardless of whether or not there actually better. Because of nostalgia or something I guess. In the case of Pokemon though, I think it's true, the originals really were better. Seriously, Pichu was just stupid. In Super Smash Bros Melee, it's lightning attack actually damages itself. WTF?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 19, 2007 9:52 pm

TriLink12 wrote:People always seem to like the original of something more than it's sequels, regardless of whether or not there actually better.

Hmm, lessee...

SMB3 & SMW > SMB
LoZ Ocarina of Time > LoZ Link to the Past
FF6 > FF4 > FF1
Super Metroid > Metroid
Sonic 2 > Sonic 1

Seriously, Pichu was just stupid. In Super Smash Bros Melee, it's lightning attack actually damages itself. WTF?

I thought it was intended to be a built-in handicap.

In terms of design, anyway, I think the 2nd generation Pokemon are maybe half cool, half lame/meh. But, then, the original generation had its fair share of uninspired and/or lame Pokemon.
Last edited by Reichu on Sat May 19, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”