Star Trek

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: Star Trek

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:16 pm

Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:05 pm

The Revenant's Mark L. Smith officially closes a deal to write the new Star Trek project, which Tarantino has still left open the possibility of directing.

Smith will write the film while Tarantino goes off to film his 1969 project, which is due to be released in Summer 2019.

I'm assuming that once Smith finishes, Tarantino will do his own personal polish to spice up the dialogue.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:53 pm

Looking forward to nerds torturing themselves to fit all the Star Wars references into Star Trek’s cutely anachronistic “there was a worldwide war between genetic supermen and FTL already existed in the 1990s” backstory.
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:52 pm

Discovery Season 2 trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDIlBDRkPDI

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Patrick Stewart is to reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard in a new series of Star Trek.

From the little information given, it looks as though it'll be about a later chapter in Picard's life, and that it'll have production ties to the recent Star Trek: Discovery series (which I've heard mixed things about, but which I've not seen myself).
Voluntary Illusion.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Discovery is...

Honestly, I think a lot of the "feel" of pre-Abrams Star Trek came from production values. The shows naturally had to do more with less. The special effects teams were really quite innovative sometimes (and it's unfortunate that a lot of the miniature effect techniques they developed aren't used much at all anymore) but they pretty much had no choice but to make a show with ideas and characters and drama, because otherwise it'd be an hour of a model sitting still shooting colored beams at another model.

Discovery tries to get back to the old feel but doesn't really get it, and is heavily influenced by the production values as well as the somewhat corrosive effect of shock value "event television" schlock that has to surprise the shit out of the audience every five minutes.

All that said, it's not perfect but it's actually pretty clever at points and I think it at least has the potential to follow the traditional Star Trek arc of the production finding its feet after the first season and turning out something pretty good.
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:48 am

Happy we are finally pressing forward past Nemesis.
I just hope they will make the Picard show look notably different from Discovery & I say that as someone who does actually like the JJ visual influence on that show.

Haven't seen Discovery yet. Really liking the actor chosen for Captain Pike in the S2 trailer. Hope he sticks around a while.

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:41 pm

Pine & Thor are strongly rumored to be leaving Star Trek 4 over Paramount breaking their contractual salary to keep the film's budget down.
:uhh:

Not gonna happen but I personally wouldn't mind a film with Spock, Scotty, Bones, Sulu & maybe Carol Marcus & Jaylah teaming up for a science mission without Kirk or the Enterprise. Maybe have it be set while the Enterprise was being rebuilt at the end of Beyond.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:05 am

I actually would be glad if Hemsworth weren't involved in another film - his role in Star Trek '09 is a bit part, and the suggestions in the press over the past two years about the intention to bring him back in the next film to play the same character haven't been appealing, because unless their intention was to have him appear in flashbacks and or old recordings that Kirk refers to, the implication is that it'll involve some sort of time travel shenanigan that allows Kirk to meet his actual father alive. And I ain't too keen on that.

However, I would be upset if Pine isn't in the next film. I feel he grew into the role of Kirk in Beyond, and so I'd definitely like to see a continuation of his character and the crew aboard the Enterprise-A. As I inferred above, a story that draws on or refers to his father's career in Starfleet is acceptable, and likely a decent direction given some of the undertones in Beyond's script. It's an idea that has potential to bring Kirk's backstory and motivation some depth, if it's handled well - I worry that if they actually brinf Hemsworth's Dad-Kirk in to have interactions with Kirk as a grown-up, it's is going to go like one of those awkward early season episodes of The Next Generation ... good for light humour, but awful for getting a good science fiction story off the ground.

Oh, and if Simon Pegg comes in to co-write the script again, that'd be tops - the fellow has demonstrated he's got the right stuff for this film series.
Voluntary Illusion.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:50 pm

Star Trek XII: The Search for the Budget for Kirk
the prophecy is true

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:28 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Star Trek XII: The Search for the Budget for Kirk

I thought the subtitle was So Very Tired. :tongue:

DarkBluePhoenix
Lilin
Lilin
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:40 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Star Trek XII: The Search for the Budget for Kirk

Wouldn't it be XIV and not XII?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:58 am

Let's pretend I did that on purpose for comedic effect.
the prophecy is true

DarkBluePhoenix
Lilin
Lilin
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:43 am

Cause you're trying to forget Wrath of Khan light and Simon Pegg 's fanfic didn't happen?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:42 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Cause you're trying to forget Wrath of Khan light and Simon Pegg 's fanfic didn't happen?

Aren't we all?

SPOILER: Show
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Return to “Film and Video”