Star Trek

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

Re: Star Trek

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:00 am

Star Trek - Beyond (2016)
- Justin Lin's overall direction is great however his actual camera flow is mixed, at times how it floats above & around stuff can be beautiful and at other times border on making me dizzy which is a rarity for me.
- Jaylah's fight with Manas in particular needed less shaky cam. (still managed to be a good fight scene despite the camera)
- Idris Elba's Krall makes for a pretty damn good villain with a solid emotional motive. That said he really needed more scenes maybe even some full on flashbacks to the death of his Crew.
- Concept of him being a life force vampire is cool and made all the more unique in that he must take on the physical features of which ever species he drains.
- Sofia Boutella's Jaylah is quite distinctive, lovely & badass.
- Spock & Bones get some good scenes together, which is all the more appreciated as Bones was notably underused in Into Darkness.
- They handle Leonard Nimoy's death in a very respectful & touching manner towards the end of the film.
- Yes destroying the Enterprise is getting tiresome but it is handled magnificently here.
- The reuse of "sabatoge" song is unneeded but not nearly as cringy as I had been warned.
- Make up for various alien characters look good to great.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:12 pm

Star Trek Discovery has been delayed, and a number of news heads, have said it may be in trouble.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/star-tr ... 201998124/
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:55 pm

^ That writeup seems a lot more positive than the link.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:38 pm

The distribution deal for Discovery is beyond retarded.

Why should Americans have to pay an extra fee to watch it via CBS All Access when 188 other countries get it within 24 hours via Netflix?

I already subscribe to Netflix. Why should I have to pay an additional $5.99 per month for just ONE show?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:13 pm

Because CBS has the delusion that they can become the next Netflix rather than focusing on content creation.
"Here I am in the belly of the beast, and I don't even care. I don't even feel like taking a whiz on this. I used to DREAM of taking a whiz on this!" - The Monarch
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:20 pm

Goddamn right. All Disco is is a launch show for this new streaming service.

It's cynical as fuck, but what if that were the entire reason for Disco to exist in the first place? You get a franchise with a huge built-in audience that hasn't had a proper TV series in over a decade, but whose brand has become popular again due to new feature films and use it to market your new streaming platform.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:09 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... overy.html

Jason Issacs has been named as the next Star Trek captain. The British actor is no stranger to Sci-Fi or Fantasy, having recently appeared in The OA and Star Wars Rebels as The Inquisitor. He also played Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies, some other credits also include Armageddon and Event Horizon. He has starred in many other roles on the big screen and the small in the UK and US, he appeared in a number of roles in the theatres of London.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Return to “Film and Video”