Star Trek

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Executor
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 1109
Joined: Mar 23, 2007
Location: Banned

Star Trek

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Executor » Wed May 09, 2007 7:23 pm

Post your feelings on Star Trek, and what ships you like. Discuss, please.
:D

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2784
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Jersey arm-pit of the eas
Contact:

Re: Star Trek. Because I can

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DatDude » Wed May 09, 2007 7:27 pm

Executor wrote:Post your feelings on Star Trek, and what ships you like. Discuss, please.
:D


Such a waste.

If voyager taught us anything its at one point you could have put literal shit onto tv and trek fans would have watched that shit stinking up the place and it would have lasted seven seasons.

You could have used that devotion to take real risks and tell such great stories.

We got "enterpirise " instead. Trek fans got tired of the shit after watching so much.
The Dark scribes are looking for new blood, having spilled all available. If interested we are taking applications for faceless minions, sacrifices, and of course writers. If interested please apply at www.darkscribes.org

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 807
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: here
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Kaminoyouni » Wed May 09, 2007 7:30 pm

i supposed i alway did like the next generations' Enterprise. i've been watching that since i was a kid.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Executor
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 1109
Joined: Mar 23, 2007
Location: Banned

Re: Star Trek. Because I can

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Executor » Wed May 09, 2007 7:32 pm

DatDude wrote:
Executor wrote:Post your feelings on Star Trek, and what ships you like. Discuss, please.
:D


Such a waste.

If voyager taught us anything its at one point you could have put literal shit onto tv and trek fans would have watched that shit stinking up the place and it would have lasted seven seasons.

You could have used that devotion to take real risks and tell such great stories.

We got "enterpirise " instead. Trek fans got tired of the shit after watching so much.

Enterprise was so MUCH BETTER in the Third and Fourth season, and, dare I say, some of the best trek ever.(Enterprise was a decent series, but was slow as hell in the first season and second seasons.)
Voyager wasent so much shit, as it was just a mediocre, bland, inoffensive, unrisky Star Trek series. Granted, it had some really great episodes, like Flashback, Message in a bottle, and Year of Hell.
EDIT: Kamino, you mean the Galaxy Class Starships?

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2784
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Jersey arm-pit of the eas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DatDude » Wed May 09, 2007 7:36 pm

I'll admit the later season were more watchable, but not close to being called good.
The Dark scribes are looking for new blood, having spilled all available. If interested we are taking applications for faceless minions, sacrifices, and of course writers. If interested please apply at www.darkscribes.org

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 807
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: here
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Star Trek. Because I can

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Kaminoyouni » Wed May 09, 2007 7:41 pm

Executor wrote:EDIT: Kamino, you mean the Galaxy Class Starships?
yeah i like my star ships BIG, i often times think of a large fleet combined of different sci-fi series. and i thought the battle sence at the begining of "First Contact" was really cool
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 42
Posts: 11720
Joined: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Pittsburgh/New York City
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Star Trek. Because I can

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ornette » Wed May 09, 2007 7:46 pm

Kaminoyouni wrote:
Executor wrote:EDIT: Kamino, you mean the Galaxy Class Starships?
yeah i like my star ships BIG, i often times think of a large fleet combined of different sci-fi series. and i thought the battle sence at the begining of "First Contact" was really cool

You need to watch Star Wreck:
http://www.starwreck.com/
Paganini's 14th Caprice in Eb Maj - recordings from 2004 -Vinyl collection at Discogs.
I have a haiku,
Okay, Okay, here it is,
damn, I forgot it

marmotgirl
Tunniel
User avatar
Posts: 151
Joined: May 02, 2007
Location: Scotland

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby marmotgirl » Wed May 09, 2007 7:49 pm

I loved Deep Space Nine. There was a Trek with real characters and lasting character development which turned out a crew that I could actually give a rat's ass about.
"Dude, it's not that I don't think you're cool or anything but the fact is that that guy is driving a Big Red GTO and you're pissing about in an enraged banana."

Executor
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 1109
Joined: Mar 23, 2007
Location: Banned

Re: Star Trek. Because I can

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Executor » Wed May 09, 2007 7:54 pm

Kaminoyouni wrote:
Executor wrote:EDIT: Kamino, you mean the Galaxy Class Starships?
yeah i like my star ships BIG, i often times think of a large fleet combined of different sci-fi series. and i thought the battle sence at the begining of "First Contact" was really cool

GCS was always a favorite of mine, too.
As far as movies go.... The Wrath of Khan. 'Nuff said. TMP was bloated, and overindulgent. The Search for Spock was a great movie, with the death of starship that was almost as much of a charater as Kirk, Spock, and McCoy was. The Voyage Home was a very decent movie, with some very funny moments. Although the ending still kind of annoys me.(I get demoted to FUCKING CAPTAIN AFTER I SAVE THE PLANET? NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!). STV was fucking embarassing. The undiscovered country was a great movie, too. And the Villian was interesting, something that trek really needed to learn back. Generations was decent, but the passing of the torch was carried out more more tastefully in TUC. First Contact was the best out of the TNG movies, with a excellent opening battle, and the Enterprise-E is made of pure win.(I like the design almost as much as the ISD's) Insurrection is fucking bad. Seriosly, why cant we help billions with these particles instead of the white folk hoarding it all.(And I am white, FYI). Nemesis is worse, What with Shinzon being a fucking idiot. Can you belive that Rick Berman said that he would rival Khan?

Also, Rick Berman is going to be penning trek memoirs, it's working title is

How I Turned Gold into shit

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma
User avatar
Posts: 6301
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Attending Physician - AKA: Hell
Contact:

Re: Star Trek. Because I can

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BrikHaus » Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 pm

Executor wrote:The Wrath of Khan. 'Nuff said.

KHAAAAAAAAN!

The Search for Spock was a great movie, with the death of starship that was almost as much of a charater as Kirk, Spock, and McCoy was.

One of the earliest memories I have is sitting in the movie theater watching this with my parents. I was really young. When the Enterprise blew up I apparently cried out, "NOOOO!" My parents told me that, but I don't remember it. Pretty funny, though. :D But it certainly branded me a Trek fan for life.

The Voyage Home was a very decent movie, with some very funny moments. Although the ending still kind of annoys me.(I get demoted to FUCKING CAPTAIN AFTER I SAVE THE PLANET? NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!).

Kirk hated being an admiral because he didn't get to command a starship. Technically, it was a demotion, but try not to really think of it as that. This was a fitting reward, because he got to be a captain again. That's why they demoted him, to reward him for saving Earth, but to keep up the appearance of punishing him for violating orders.

This is my second favorite Trek movie, mostly because it is so hilarious. Also, I liked how they were able to build a story that didn't involve any major starship battles, or the like.

The undiscovered country was a great movie, too.

This was my favorite of all the Trek movies. They got everything right, the action, humor, writing, everything. It was a great send-off to the original crew. I wish Shatner had never agreed to do Generations, because Kirk deserved a more spectacular death. Hopefully, though, he'll make an appearance in ST XI. At least that's what the rumor is for the moment.

First Contact was the best out of the TNG movies

I liked it a lot, too. But I still don't understand why the Borg Queen was allowed to say "I" when the Borg were supposed to be one collective mind and saying "We."

Insurrection is fucking bad.

Agreed. Definitely the worst Trek movie.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Zkh
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 244
Joined: Apr 02, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Zkh » Wed May 09, 2007 8:29 pm

My dad is a HUGE trekkie, he has like 3 boxes of some oldass Star Trek figures around his house and models of the ships and stuff, right next to my picture on his shelf are little Star Trek figures. I never got into it because it was just a dad show to me, it seems interesting enough though...

Bitch better order me masterpiece Megatron or I'll melt them figures.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Wed May 09, 2007 8:33 pm

The only Star Trek i've ever been introduced to in my life was when I got suckered into watching Insurrection in theaters. It didn't leave a very good impression on me. And it seems way too hard to follow, anyway. Not for me.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2784
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Jersey arm-pit of the eas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DatDude » Wed May 09, 2007 9:39 pm

marmotgirl wrote:I loved Deep Space Nine. There was a Trek with real characters and lasting character development which turned out a crew that I could actually give a rat's ass about.


Umm watch babylon 5. They ripped all the beast parts of DS9 from B5.

Before you ask they has a series bible JMS sent them while shoping B5 around, thats why B5 started later and was still the one ripped off.
The Dark scribes are looking for new blood, having spilled all available. If interested we are taking applications for faceless minions, sacrifices, and of course writers. If interested please apply at www.darkscribes.org

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Posts: 5751
Joined: Feb 03, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed May 09, 2007 9:58 pm

Hmm. Surprised this thread did not already exist!
Anywho, I like teh Trek a lot. TNG was the best on TV, while Undiscovered Country and Khan are tied for the best films IMO. I also think Insurrection and The Final Frontier were the worst films and last half of DS9, the first half of VGR and most of Enterprise were the worst on TV.
Now for something waaaaaaaaaaay outta left field. Anyone here seen Star Trek: TMP (The Motion Picture)? IMO, this was the most underrated Trek film ever. Sure, it deserves some of the criticism it has gotten with jabs like "The Slow Motion Picture". But with that Director's Edition on DVD, it was like watching a very long but damn good TOS episode. And the special effects! I know a great deal of it included the editing-in of CG. But unlike the Star Wars "Special Edition", this actually improved on the original!
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

The Eva Monkey
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
User avatar
Posts: 8761
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: The Evanets.
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Star Trek. Because I can

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed May 09, 2007 10:18 pm

DatDude wrote:If voyager taught us anything its at one point you could have put literal shit onto tv and trek fans would have watched that shit stinking up the place and it would have lasted seven seasons.

True, it was a bit weak in its infancy, but it got good after a few seasons.

Now, ENTERPRISE, that was shit.
Webmaster, Eva Monkey; Co-founder, administrator emeritus, Eva Geeks; Moderator, r/evangelion

Check out my YouTube channel. All Eva, all the time.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael
User avatar
Posts: 871
Joined: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Redneck Paradise

Re: Star Trek. Because I can

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby SEELE 08 » Wed May 09, 2007 10:44 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
DatDude wrote:If voyager taught us anything its at one point you could have put literal shit onto tv and trek fans would have watched that shit stinking up the place and it would have lasted seven seasons.

True, it was a bit weak in its infancy, but it got good after a few seasons.

Now, ENTERPRISE, that was shit.


As the ratings got lower the more close T'Pol took off. I"m sure there's a numeric correlation if anyone were too look...
DS9 was great until season seven, and I loved those lovable lizards the Cardassians.
TNG was what I was raised on. My dad made damn sure I grew up to be a Trekkie. As for Voyager, I'm guilty for having a Seska action figure on my dresser...right next to my FMA King Bradely and FFVIII figure collection.
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

The Eva Monkey
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
User avatar
Posts: 8761
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: The Evanets.
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Star Trek. Because I can

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed May 09, 2007 10:57 pm

SEELE 08 wrote:I'm guilty for having a Seska action figure on my dresser...

Wow. As far as Voyager fandom goes, that's pretty hard core.
Webmaster, Eva Monkey; Co-founder, administrator emeritus, Eva Geeks; Moderator, r/evangelion

Check out my YouTube channel. All Eva, all the time.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael
User avatar
Posts: 871
Joined: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Redneck Paradise

Re: Star Trek. Because I can

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby SEELE 08 » Wed May 09, 2007 11:33 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
SEELE 08 wrote:I'm guilty for having a Seska action figure on my dresser...

Wow. As far as Voyager fandom goes, that's pretty hard core.


Fortunately it's the only Voyager related peice of merchandise I own unless you count the Hallmark ornament version of the ship itself (I have several of the ships). I'd love to have a Tom Paris, B'ellona Tores and Commander Chakotay set of figures just so I could abuse them and ultimately light them on fire on the grill.
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma
User avatar
Posts: 6301
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Attending Physician - AKA: Hell
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BrikHaus » Wed May 09, 2007 11:37 pm

The mere sound of Janeway's voice could induce seizures.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

TriLink
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1294
Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TriLink » Wed May 09, 2007 11:45 pm

The only Star Trek I can say I'm truely a fan of is TNG. I've seen bits and pieces of DS9, but nothing in that show really resonated with me to the point of fandom.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA


Return to “Film and Video”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests