Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Merridian
Angel
Angel

What anime are you watching right now? Feb-Dec 2010

Postby Merridian » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:12 pm

Edit, continuation of THIS thread

LiLi wrote:I liked the music by Kenji Kawai; I liked the chara design overall, but I can't say I liked the use of CG - I found it at times jarring and even distracting, especially when they went for an ultra-realistic portrayal of objects and landscapes.
Yeah, for me the CGI looked neat but it was integrated rather poorly. I loved the dogfights, though.

Turns out the whole reason CGI was even used was because there weren't enough animators--every scene in which CGI is present was originally intended to be drawn like the rest of the film. Too bad studios don't pay enough (or perhaps don't even have enough cash) to attract talent :lol:

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:23 am

I'm watching Urusei Yatsura right now. It's really crazy and immature, but in a good, not-annoying way. I like how there's occasionally some criticism of Japanese society in it. I'm not sure how long it'll take me to get through all...what is it, 120 episodes?

NeverKnowsBest
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby NeverKnowsBest » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:47 am

I'm currently watching Railgun, Kanon, Sora no Woto, and Higurashi.

<3 Higurashi.
Life is not so much random chocolates,
as it is a can of sour soda that we open up, and guzzle down.
We know it is sour, but we will drink it anyway.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:07 am

SHINGU: The Secret of the Stellar Wars

7.5/10

A strangely relaxed anime for a story about wars in outer space and the future of the people of Earth and all.

It's premise is a rather reversed spectrum of Star Trek. Rather than Earth teaming up with aliens to explore the far reaches of space and possible recruits of the Space Federation, Earth has been discovered by a group of various aliens as a candidate of recruiting Earth into their batch of space politics. It's first impression was actually just another school anime with some rather entertaining characters, and it ended up becoming extremely fun to see who was going to be revealed as another alien next. And there are a few really cool fights in outer space with some clean, fluid animation and some really cool designs (especially though the last couple of episodes).

What really defines this anime is the strong presence of elevator music as most of the show's musical score and the many scenes of aliens casually discussing the future of Earth in a messy bedroom, crowded bar, or in school meetings. For as complicated and dangerous many of the things become, no one really shows any sign of fear or concern. And yet, it's not depicted as too far fetched.

And, of course, there's some really sweet touches of character definition and development throughout that really remind one of the fun times that were had growing up.

SIDE NOTE: I hadn't really realized until someone pointed it out to me, but this is also one of the few animes that doesn't have any hint of fan service. Unless you count the part where the guys dressed as cheerleaders in order to win a competition, which is really more of a fan disservice.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby master_lloyd » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:46 pm

Started watching Umineko no naku koro ni, based purely on how awesome the ending theme is.

3eps in and it's pretty good, sort of Dallas crossed with Higurashi. Lots of grisly murder and psychotic little girls, just like its sister show.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:26 pm

The current series I'm watching is the original 1974 classic Getter Robo, the first super robot anime to have transformations based on vehicles and possibly the first to use cyborg monsters of the week. Currently I'm up to episode 44 and enjoying it, although the Italian dubs are rather *coughterriblecough* at least with subs I can use cognates to better understand what's going on. Fortunately I did see a bunch of episodes in english subs, sadly a ton of them are bad Hong Kong subs, but if I could enjoy Ultraman Leo with terrible Chinese dubbing and see the majority of Ultra series without subs I can handle this. You really can't say anything too bad about a series with killer cyborg dinosaurs in it. :tongue: After I'm done I'll either start watching Mazinger Z or Getter Robo G, that all depends on whether or not I find I find the names of the Hundred Demon Army.

I was also watching Victory Gundam and got up to episode 35. I'd probably be up to episode 40 if YouTube didn't delete the account of the guy that was uploading them! :fistshake: I might need to use MegaVideo, but I heard their forced links occasionally send others to malware sites, which is kind of sad because that's how I managed to watch Code Geass R2, Turn A Gundam, Zambot 3, Blue Seed, Gravion, and Voltes V on it. Real shame and it was easily becoming my favorite UC series.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:05 pm

Ornette wrote:I hope you enjoy the rest of Nodame (first season)

Is there something wrong with the subsequent seasons?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:44 pm

BrikHaus wrote:
Ornette wrote:I hope you enjoy the rest of Nodame (first season)

Is there something wrong with the subsequent seasons?

Not so much as being wrong, but the complete package of a season didn't seem as strong. They're still good, but didn't have the initial impact as the first season did. There's a lot less of the music put together (purposely poorly) to support the narrative. At the same time, it's still Nodame doing her thing so it's still fun to watch. I just don't think the season was put together as well as the first. If you finish the first season and liked it, you should definitely go on to finish the rest of it.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby LiLi » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:33 am

Merridian wrote:Turns out the whole reason CGI was even used was because there weren't enough animators--every scene in which CGI is present was originally intended to be drawn like the rest of the film. Too bad studios don't pay enough (or perhaps don't even have enough cash) to attract talent :lol:

Wow, I didn't know that! To think that even a top director like Oshii would have to face that kind of problem... Would you happen to have a link to some article detailing the process? :w00t:

At long last, I'm about to start Legend of The Galactic Heroes! :w00t:

I guess I'll finish Aoi Hana first though... Mr.Tines, have you seen Aoi Hana? :nyao:

:EDIT: I finally finished Yoshiura's "Eve no Jikan" :tentacles:. I'll be looking forward to the theatrical release!
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:50 am

Got to episode 7 of Now and Then, Here and There. Love the cartoon-y designs and the music. For being one of the most depressing things I've ever seen, this show really does have some wonderful moments (i.e. the end of episode 7 is gorgeous).

Also started on Moribito. Awesome fights are awesome. Balsa reminds me of Motoko from GitS.

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:28 pm

Finished Shikabane Hime last night. Nod bad. But I almost hate the ending.
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

alabaster
Lilith

Postby alabaster » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:02 pm

schismatics wrote:Got to episode 7 of Now and Then, Here and There. Love the cartoon-y designs and the music. For being one of the most depressing things I've ever seen, this show really does have some wonderful moments (i.e. the end of episode 7 is gorgeous).

Also started on Moribito. Awesome fights are awesome. Balsa reminds me of Motoko from GitS.

I just finished 'Now and Then, Here and There" and loved it. It is truly depressing but has an uplifting message.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Alabaster

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:17 pm

LiLi wrote: Wow, I didn't know that! To think that even a top director like Oshii would have to face that kind of problem... Would you happen to have a link to some article detailing the process? :w00t:
I just spent about an hour looking for the article I read that in, but to no avail. :( I remember it was an article more focused on the decline of the industry (lol yeah I know, there are countless), and it described how the lack of animators was part of the reason CGI-integration was becoming so disproportionately widespread. That was the part of the article that mentioned Sky Crawlers IIRC. I coulda sworn I read it in one of the linked articles in a recent thread regarding the industry’s decline, but apparently not. Shit. If ever I find it I can PM you.

--------
Finished Haruhi Suzumiya “season 2”. Not bad, but not great. I know it sounds weird, but the Endless Eight cycle was probably the best part. The movie-making arc had some amusing metafictional things going on, but they really didn’t go anywhere, and the end of the season didn’t bring much closure since it “ended” just short of the end of the chronological order of the first season.

The only way it avoided the explanations-that-don’t-make-any-difference cliché (aka, see Higurashi season 2) was due to the metafictional meanderings it was playing with at the same time. But it’s hard to say whether the two aspects were directly linked to each other in any intentional fashion or if they were supposed to exist independently of each other. Gahh I dunno. I would have liked to see more Haruhi that took place after the chronological order of season 1, not just during it.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:36 pm

LiLi wrote:Mr.Tines, have you seen Aoi Hana? :nyao:
Of course!

Thoughts here.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:25 pm

I finished the original Getter Robo today. :w00: But in all seriousness, it's nice for a mech fan to finally see one of the pioneering series done by Go Nagai, had a nice ending overall although the final battle sadly wasn't much; I will give it credit for it's foreshadowing of Getter Robo G. If you can find episodes of this series, preferably in English sub since dubs are none existent, than it's a definite recommendation for action lovers.

I'd start on the original Mazinger Z but apparently finding english subs of the first episode is like trying to get puke stains out of your clothes by punching them. :flamethrower: Wonder if I could get into Great Mazinger or Grendizer, hmm....

This site has awesome emoticons and topics, why did I not join sooner?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:46 pm

I have all those subbed. So you can definitely find them on the internet.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:49 pm

...........You have EVERY episode of Grendizer ENGLISH SUBBED!? That's virtually the holy grail of Super Robot anime! Well, at least to other super robot fans I know, I personally think it's Brave Raideen by none other than the Gundam guy himself but whatever.

Or were you just referring to Mazinger Z?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:09 pm

I have, Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, Getter, Getter G subbed, but only the raws for the 74 eps of Grendizer. Shin Getter is subbing those though, who knows when they'll finish.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:19 pm

Shin Getter is subbing those though, who knows when they'll finish.

Getter Robo Armageddon or New Getter Robo? Because I've seen both of them subbed on YouTube.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:23 pm

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:
Shin Getter is subbing those though, who knows when they'll finish.

Getter Robo Armageddon or New Getter Robo? Because I've seen both of them subbed on YouTube.

Grendizer. The sub group is called "Shin-Getter".

Return to “Old Stickies”