Character Heights

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Wed May 29, 2013 10:44 am

At 15?! I'm 5' 8" at 22; always been below the average but compared to me, you're freakishly tall, man!

Mr Tines wrote:
teh Reichu wrote:Just by going by this one picture I have, Mayumi is Touji's height.

Whoa... she's that tall? I always figured she's like Rei in height.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 29, 2013 11:00 am

View Original PostCatamari wrote:Indeed. [s]Shinji is just under average height for his age range, and Asuka is right on the mark.[/s]

Link

EDIT: Misread the numbers. Regardless.

If I'm reading that chart right it means Asuka can expect to gain another 3 cm or so while Shinji can expect another 7 cm. That means Asuka would top out at 5' and Shinji at 5'1, which seems low in both cases. What's interesting here is that Yui is supposed to be 5'6" or so, which doesn't make sense on several fronts. First, it would be unlikely for a woman of her height and a man of Gendo's to produce a son who was so much shorter than either. But more importantly, If Rei is a clone of Yui it follows that they should be the same height once Rei reaches maturity. This in turn means that means Anno had to have assumed that an adult Rei would gain a whopping 26 cm (10"!) in height, assuming the heights given above are accurate. That is . . . well, it's not impossible, but it's very unlikely. But by that logic we should expect Asuka and Shinji both to hit 5'9", which in Shinji's case matches expectations given Yui's and Gendo's heights. So, if we were to adjust heights so that the kids wind up reaching their expected adult heights given their stated ages in the show we'd wind up with the following heights for the kids: 166 cm (5'5") for Rei, 172 cm (5'8") for Asuka, and 167 cm (5'6") for Shinji. IOW, all should be taller than Misato.

Ah well, can't fault Anno for not getting everything right. :lol:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 29, 2013 11:51 am

Take in account that the pilots are born in a world who had an Armageddon which whipped out half of the population and brought enormous climatic changes, that must have had repercussions in their diet.
Remember in NGE that Misato was anxious to invite the pilots in a steak restaurant because meat was very expensive, in NME Toji said that meat is 90% artificial. That kind of diet must have impacted their growth. The adults are of a normal height because they spent their childhood in a world where food was still abundant and varied, a luxury the post-2I citizens of the world don't have. That's why Gendo and Yui, two tall people, gave birth to Shinji, a kid who at 14 is still short : he's not short, he's probably on the average height of most of the post-2I children.

That would also explain why Sakura is so short at 20 years old : her first six years of life was during the post-2I world, and the next 14 years after N3I since which the world is essentially a dead rock. Surely everyone is rationed and most of the food is the same kind of goo Shinji had during his stay at neo-NERV.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Wed May 29, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Wed May 29, 2013 12:00 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:But more importantly, If Rei is a clone of Yui it follows that they should be the same height once Rei reaches maturity. This in turn means that means Anno had to have assumed that an adult Rei would gain a whopping 26 cm (10"!) in height, assuming the heights given above are accurate. That is . . . well, it's not impossible, but it's very unlikely.

But we see Rei bloom into an extraordinarily tall young lady.
I checked and Asuka's rather petite, isn't she. 'Tis good that she has such a pretty body then.
Last edited by Lavinius on Wed May 29, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:01 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
That would also explain why Sakura is so short at 20 years olds : her first six years of life was during the post-2I world, and the next 14 years after N3I since which the world is essentially as a dead rock. Surely everyone is rationed and most of the food is the same kind of goo Shinji had during his stay at neo-NERV.

Sakura's 20?! :bigeyes: I thought she was 14....Well she might just be naturally short.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:11 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Sakura's 20?! :bigeyes: I thought she was 14....Well she might just be naturally short.

She was about six years old in 1.0, so after 14 years she would be around 20. Assuming Touji's only sister is the one who was in the hospital....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 29, 2013 12:17 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:She was about six years old in 1.0, so after 14 years she would be around 20. Assuming Touji's only sister is the one who was in the hospital....

Yeah now that I think about it, how do we know Sakura's age in 2.0, it's written somewhere in the CRC, the script, in the website maybe? Or it's just a guess?
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 29, 2013 12:35 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Remember in NGE that Misato was anxious to invite the pilots in a steak restaurant because meat was very expensive, in NME Toji said that meat is 90% artificial. That kind of diet must have impacted their growth.

Probably not. Japanese don't eat a lot of red meat to begin with; rice and fish are dietary staples, and the meals seen in the show are typical Japanese fare. It's pretty clear the pilots aren't suffering from malnutrition or anything else that would impact their growth rates.

That would also explain why Sakura is so short at 20 years old : her first six years of life was during the post-2I world, and the next 14 years after N3I since which the world is essentially a dead rock. Surely everyone is rationed and most of the food is the same kind of goo Shinji had during his stay at neo-NERV.

Average height for a Japanese woman is 5'2", so Sakura's not all that short. She's pretty close to average, actually.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed May 29, 2013 1:02 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:This unit is 5'10. That makes me as tall as bloody Kaji. I don't feel very tall, though.

Jeez and you're still only 15! I can't imagine how big you'll get when your older.

:cringe:

As for characters heights, well, I can't say I find them to accurate, to be honest. Wasn't there a chart of the cast that measured the heights or something? I seem to recall an illustration of the cast members all together and a height chart.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:03 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:
Average height for a Japanese woman is 5'2", so Sakura's not all that short. She's pretty close to average, actually.

Mari seems to be the tallest pilot, judging from the Eva Store mural. I'm not sure if that's a consequence of her living off junk food instead of gloop or not.

And I'm nothing like you

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 29, 2013 1:11 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Misato and Ritsuko must be pretty tall, then, since they seem to tower over Sakura. All the pilots must be around 5'2" as well then, since they seem to be Sakura's height in the Eva Store mural.

I said she's close to average, not average. I'd put her at about 5'. But yeah, that image skews things something fierce. Gendo and Fuyu are supposed to be 6' (and Gendo's supposed to be taller than Fuyu), Misato's supposed to be 5'4", and Shinji's supposed to be 4'10". Height differences in that pic are exaggerated by a fair margin. I'll be interested to see if CRC 3.0 has a height comparison chart so we can see whether and to what extent the Eva-Store pic is off.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 29, 2013 1:13 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Probably not. Japanese don't eat a lot of red meat to begin with; rice and fish are dietary staples, and the meals seen in the show are typical Japanese fare. It's pretty clear the pilots aren't suffering from malnutrition or anything else that would impact their growth rates.

Maybe in NGE, but in NME the oceans are dead, and even with protected farms there is probably not enough fish for everyone.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Average height for a Japanese woman is 5'2", so Sakura's not all that short. She's pretty close to average, actually.

Then how is it that every other adult is one head taller than her?

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Wed May 29, 2013 1:16 pm

--
Last edited by Lavinius on Wed May 29, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed May 29, 2013 1:20 pm

Not calibrated (or even full length in the first picture), but here we go

Image Image
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:22 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I said she's close to average, not average. I'd put her at about 5'. But yeah, that image skews things something fierce. Gendo and Fuyu are supposed to be 6' (and Gendo's supposed to be taller than Fuyu), Misato's supposed to be 5'4", and Shinji's supposed to be 4'10". Height differences in that pic are exaggerated by a fair margin. I'll be interested to see if CRC 3.0 has a height comparison chart so we can see whether and to what extent the Eva-Store pic is off.

After re-examining the pic I think it's because of how the characters are placed; if you move Sakura so her feet are level with Misato's there's less difference between their heights.

And I'm nothing like you

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 29, 2013 2:01 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Maybe in NGE, but in NME the oceans are dead, and even with protected farms there is probably not enough fish for everyone.

Heights are supposedly the same in both, so this doesn't wash. Move on already.

Then how is it that every other adult is one head taller than her?

As I noted earlier, perspective is skewed.

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:After re-examining the pic I think it's because of how the characters are placed; if you move Sakura so her feet are level with Misato's there's less difference between their heights.

That's part of it, but it doesn't explain the differences in the Children or between people in the back row; Gendo should be taller than Fuyu, for instance. If you compare the Eva-Store pic to the pic Tines posted you'll see that, while the differences in height are relatively proportionate (Asuka is taller than Shinji is taller than Rei) the magnitude of those differences is exaggerated. Asuka's supposed to have a centimeter on Shinji while in that picture it looks like she has 6-7. Fuyu looks to have a good 5 cm on Gendo rather than being one shorter. Shinji comes up to Gendo's sternum instead of his collarbone. And so on and so forth. Positioning accounts for some of that, but not all of it.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed May 29, 2013 2:07 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote: Image

That one has a scale on the side, so why was it cropped off?

http://i.imgur.com/dMDCbql.jpg

Rebuild equivalent (photo and distorted but still works, might scan it later):

http://i.imgur.com/8jQItN2.jpg
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Wed May 29, 2013 5:53 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Heights are supposedly the same in both, so this doesn't wash.

Just for the record, we're sure about that then? Is Shikinami the exception, for obvious reasons, or can we just call Soryu 5'1/157 cm and be through with it?
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed May 29, 2013 5:59 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Image

Guy farthest from the picture looks like an older Naked Snake.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed May 29, 2013 7:09 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Jeez and you're still only 15! I can't imagine how big you'll get when your older.

I had reached my present height (a little less than 5'10") when I was 14 and stayed that way, and never gained so much as a millimeter since. A lot of people I know got their growth spurt early (12-13) and didn't gain any more from about 15. I would have towered over Shinji at his age.

And I really wonder why Shinji is so short if Gendo and Yui are that tall. Gendo is 6', as established, Reichu put Yui at 5'9" - which is very impressive indeed. Even if you take into account regression to the mean in children of tall parents and assume that his nutrition was really, really atrocious (and I've seen first-hand how abysmal nutrition both stunts height and delays puberty by years) Shinji would have to be at least 5'2" by his age. But he's 4'10", which should be abnormally low. Also, Shinji's height gains would have been dictated by his growth as a toddler - that's to say, during the period before Yui's contact experiment. We don't know how tall little Kawaii-Shinji is during the contact experiment, but the height of a child at around 2 years of age(IIRC) is very close to half of his/her adult height.

Assuming that Shinji had reached somewhere between half Yui's height and half Gendo's height before Gendo sent him away, he would still have gone fairly close to double that height under severe malnutrition. That, again, isn't the case, going by his height at 14.

So as far as I can see, Shinji and the other kids being short is just artistic license. Asuka and Rei are maybe closer to realistic (How tall were Kyoko and Herr Langley? I don't know.), but the kids here are way too short. It's not Gurren Lagann and Shinji isn't Simon, so there's no "He hasn't gained height because his growth was converted into Spiral Energy" handwave.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”