Character Heights

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed May 02, 2007 10:01 am

Reichu wrote:
BrikHaus wrote:I imagine their heights are about as consistent as the heights of the Evas.

You mean they'll shrink and grow depending on their surroundings, but maintain the same ratios relative to one another? :?

Uhh... sure. Actually, what I think is: for example, the animators tried to make sure that Misato always appeared taller than Shinji, but they didn't really put too much thought into exact measurements, or making sure everyone was always in exact proportion to one another.

Unless somebody obsessively demonstrates this is true by comparing the characters to objects of "known height" (aside from Misato, who apparently doesn't count...), I'll just give the show the benefit of the doubt here.

I was under the impression that all the heights were fanwankings with the exception of Misato. Or has Gainax released official heights? If that's the case, no one could really argue with it.

Although, I do have to wonder why it is that none of the children grow. Since Shinji is 14, he's at the peak of linear growth for boys, and should become taller as the show goes on, assuming the time line comprises a number of months. But he doesn't grow at all, which makes me think that the animators weren't too concerned with heights being accurate at all. The same goes for the girls, although their peak linear growths would have been earlier. Unless Shinji has some sort of Growth Hormone deficiency, possibly due to a loss of function Pituitary tumor. That could explain his stunted growth, but certainly he'd have other problems as well. [/invoke Zugzwang]

And Keel at 5'3"??? Do we ever see him stand up at any point to make this assessment?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 02, 2007 12:43 pm

Brikhaus wrote:I was under the impression that all the heights were fanwankings with the exception of Misato. Or has Gainax released official heights? If that's the case, no one could really argue with it.

Not numbers, but did you actually take note of how I calculated the heights? It was detailed earlier, and involved this image:

http://www.evacommentary.org/images_production/cast_heights.gif

(This particular scan is missing the scale bar -- I need to double-check sometime while factoring it in.)

And, for the characters who are absent from the 'height chart', I used whatever was handy.

Additionally, I combed the show to see how consistent they were about maintaining the various heights. No huge errors stood out at the time.

Although, I do have to wonder why it is that none of the children grow.

A continuity problem they didn't want to deal with, I'd wager.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed May 02, 2007 1:00 pm

Reichu wrote:Not numbers, but did you actually take note of how I calculated the heights? It was detailed earlier, and involved this image

I see. At first I thought these were a bunch of numbers people made up willy-nilly. At least some thought went into it. However, I would like to keep the idea on the table that the radiation in New Tokyo-3 must have destroyed the children's Pituitary glands.

Although, I do have to wonder why it is that none of the children grow.

A continuity problem they didn't want to deal with, I'd wager.

This is blasphemy! There are no continuity errors in Evanglion!
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

CypressPhoenix
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CypressPhoenix » Wed May 02, 2007 4:27 pm

HA! I would be taller than most of them! I'm 5'1" so neh!.... XD I've always been the shortest one in all of my classes... if only Eva characters were real ;-;.
++If you can't laugh at yourself, then I'll be glad to do it for you.++

Kaworu fangirl... sad I know XD I like him in the manga though... not in the anime ><

Shwiggie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shwiggie » Thu May 03, 2007 1:33 am

I have a nephew who just turned 15. He's around 5' 5", and he's shorter than any of his male classmates, many of whom are nearly my height (6'). Then again, he lives in the US...are the Japanese folks really that much shorter, by-and-large?

During my time in engineering school, I was acquainted with a fair number of people of Asiatic descent (no Japanese, though), but few were of significantly less stature than me. For instance, for every short Asian guy I knew, I probably knew of at least one even shorter white guy.

I had thought that one reason they might have made Misato and especially Gendo towering over Shinji was to illustrate how he was intimidated by others (even Asuka being taller). That Rei was shorter shows that he was less intimidated of her as he got to know her better. But this is in all likelihood nothing more than yet another silly addition of fanboy "depth" to veil what was most likely an error in planning or to explain something that needs none.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu May 03, 2007 2:56 pm

Historically, yes, the Japanese were shorter on average than Europeans -- but that was mainly a result of diet. In the latter half of the last century, with increasing affluence, heights have increased.

The "just little guys" is a rough quote from the original 1975 Rollerball -- which was before the change had substantially kicked in.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Tue May 08, 2007 10:32 pm

hmm...maybe the Tokyo-3 children hav puberty late? u noe, growth spurts an all...
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Tue May 08, 2007 10:51 pm

TheAyanamiOtaku wrote:hmm...maybe the Tokyo-3 children hav puberty late? u noe, growth spurts an all...
well look at the up side if Shinji and Misato were to be facing eachother what would Shinji's face meet when looking straight ahead? hehe...
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Tue May 08, 2007 11:02 pm

yeah, thats true...

Shinji is one lucky sunuvabich. lol, coz Misato is a sexay beast!

but that doesn't really answer why every child in EVA is short....its not just coz of Misato's breasts....

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Tue May 08, 2007 11:10 pm

well do they really need to be taller?
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue May 08, 2007 11:23 pm

Their height probably means nothing, maybe the height on Misato's ID card was just a little joke put in there just to mess with the die hard fans.

anyways, like i said before, the children are probably just shorter than the adults just to show that the adults are OLDER and the children are YOUNGER

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Tue May 08, 2007 11:31 pm

yeah lol if everybody were tall, then people would have a harder time identifying the adults from the children. like

omg i thought Aoba was just a stoner emo kid!

and so on...(I shouldn't say things like that about Aoba. He's a really kool guy.)

...and, if they made Shinji look too old, it would've been acceptable for Shinji to have a relationship with Misato....until Akagi remarks about that in ep1.

maybe thats what anno initially wanted, just as a device of seperation.

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Tue May 08, 2007 11:39 pm

TheAyanamiOtaku wrote:...and, if they made Shinji look too old, it would've been acceptable for Shinji to have a relationship with Misato....until Akagi remarks about that in ep1
given you liking for the S/R pairing i would think your thoughts for S/M were unacceptable regardless.
Proud Member of F.A.P.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Tue May 08, 2007 11:53 pm

i was just speaking hypothetically, not my own opinion. sry bout that.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue May 08, 2007 11:54 pm

(getting back on topic)

i guess everybody can also tell the difference between the adults and children by facial hair for the men, and *cough* the womens figures

and also the way the eyes are drawn, since Aoba, that other guy(whats his name???) and Fuyutski dont have facial hair

and then the voice-overs

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed May 09, 2007 12:04 am

the guy with the glasses's name is

Makoto Hyuga

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_Neon_Genesis_Evangelion

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed May 09, 2007 12:05 am

oh yeah! thanks

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed May 09, 2007 12:13 am

TheAyanamiOtaku wrote:Shinji is one lucky sunuvabich. lol, coz Misato is a sexay beast!

Huge scars really turn me on.

Sachiel_13 wrote:Their height probably means nothing, maybe the height on Misato's ID card was just a little joke put in there just to mess with the die hard fans.

Were there even any die-hard fans at this point?

anyways, like i said before, the children are probably just shorter than the adults just to show that the adults are OLDER and the children are YOUNGER

You're probably right. And the reason the children never grow is probably somehow linked to how the character wear the same clothes every day, as well.
Awesomely Shitty

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed May 09, 2007 12:16 am

BrikHaus wrote:
Sachiel_13 wrote:Their height probably means nothing, maybe the height on Misato's ID card was just a little joke put in there just to mess with the die hard fans.

Were there even any die-hard fans at this point?

well, im sure at least one of the people making the show thought it was going to be a great success

Evangelion__x
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion__x » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:16 am

I would have taken all of them for much taller.
Last edited by Evangelion__x on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”