Bets / Can't sleep

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma
User avatar
Posts: 6301
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Attending Physician - AKA: Hell
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:06 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:KAJI- Is Kaji even in this? He'll get some Misato, we might even know who kills him if he dies again. Or he'll live and father little bastard Kajisatos.

I hope Kaji doesn't get a whole lot of screen time. I always felt he was kind of a two-dimensional characters whose only purpose was to give us insight into Misato's past. He was poorly used in the series and would be poorly used again in the movie. They should concentrate on the pilots and not show us any more Misato/Kaji sex. In fact, if we get more well-rounded, three-dimensional characterizations of the pilots, then they can drop a lot of Misato's personal crap, as well. It'll have a stronger story overall if it just focuses on the main three characters (Shinji, Asuka, Rei) then if it tries to stretch itself too thin by attempting to focus on everyone.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Gendo'sPapa
God
God
User avatar
Posts: 4643
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Location: Everywhere
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:46 am

Personally I'm gonna miss it if they shaft Misato.

Everyone always says the three leads of Eva are Shinji, Asuka, and Rei and they certainly are some of the leads but I've always seen the LEADS as Shinji and Misato.

The show is just as much about Misato as it is about Shinji and it's also far more about Misato than it is Asuka or Rei.

I've always found her to be the most interesting female on the show (Rei's my favorite character but Misato's the most interesting on a purely character based level) and there was much more effort and devotion on Anno and Gainax's part during the real series to show that Misato is not just another anime hottie.

The series is all Shinji & Misato. The other pilots are leads too but not as much so in my eyes as that pair.

But somewhere along the line because of the merchandise and fanbase it somehow became this big deal about how the shows leads are really the 3 pilots with everyone as secondary characters (I say because the marketing in pure Japanese weirdness sexualizes the underage 14 year girls far more so than it does the older women. Why? 14 year olds are easier to control? who knows. Because of anime I'm under the impression that all Japanese men are perverts.)

Hell, Ritsuko actually has more screentime than Rei I think.

Really when REBUILD comes out I'd love the focus to be primarily Shinji and Rei, with Misato and Asuka as close seconds. Then the rest of the cast. And then at the bottom this new character who shows up, is cool, kicks some ass, but doesn't take up too much screentime. And then Kaworu.

Sadly I think Kaworu and is "I'm the effeminate checklist character" is going to steal a lot of screentime with his girlish "you can find this kind of character in any anime today" voice and persona.

Damn you Kaworu! DAmn you!

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 2558
Joined: Sep 12, 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby slothen » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:16 am

BrikHaus wrote:
Gendo'sPapa wrote:KAJI- Is Kaji even in this? He'll get some Misato, we might even know who kills him if he dies again. Or he'll live and father little bastard Kajisatos.

I hope Kaji doesn't get a whole lot of screen time. I always felt he was kind of a two-dimensional characters whose only purpose was to give us insight into Misato's past. He was poorly used in the series and would be poorly used again in the movie. They should concentrate on the pilots and not show us any more Misato/Kaji sex. In fact, if we get more well-rounded, three-dimensional characterizations of the pilots, then they can drop a lot of Misato's personal crap, as well. It'll have a stronger story overall if it just focuses on the main three characters (Shinji, Asuka, Rei) then if it tries to stretch itself too thin by attempting to focus on everyone.


you suck! Kaji is one of my favorite characters. Just because he has no desire to hate himself or others, just beacuse he doesn't have a big bad scary fucked up past.. that doesn't mean he's two dimensional.

Gendo'sPapa wrote: (I say because the marketing in pure Japanese weirdness sexualizes the underage 14 year girls far more so than it does the older women. Why? 14 year olds are easier to control? who knows. Because of anime I'm under the impression that all Japanese men are perverts.)

I know! One of my first steps into this Japanese anime/manga thing was reading the Chobits series at the bookstore. When I was done, part of me thought of what a moving story it was. Then another part of me was completely and utterly disgusted with the story. Almost as if its mere existence bespoke some sort of sickness or perversion in its audience.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma
User avatar
Posts: 6301
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Attending Physician - AKA: Hell
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:38 am

slothen wrote: Kaji is one of my favorite characters. Just because he has no desire to hate himself or others, just beacuse he doesn't have a big bad scary fucked up past.. that doesn't mean he's two dimensional.

You're right, just because he doesn't have a traumatic past doesn't mean he's not two-dimensional. Or wait, maybe he does have a traumatic past? Actually, we don't know anything about his past. In fact, it seems as if he has no past at all. That would lead me to believe that he's a.... wait for it... two-dimensional character. Okay, we do know a little about him. He likes gardening, he used to date Misato, and he is out to find the truth about all the shady things going on around New Tokyo-3. None of those give any insight into his psyche. He is simply used as a device to advance the plot and to give us a closer look at Misato. Any other character could have been used to do the same things. That's why I think he's two-dimensional.

Gendo's Papa wrote:Sadly I think Kaworu and is "I'm the effeminate checklist character" is going to steal a lot of screentime with his girlish "you can find this kind of character in any anime today" voice and persona.

I think you nailed it.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Ayana-Me
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 98
Joined: Apr 01, 2007
Location: Chicago

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ayana-Me » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:45 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Hell, Ritsuko actually has more screentime than Rei I think.

Really when REBUILD comes out I'd love the focus to be primarily Shinji and Rei, with Misato and Asuka as close seconds. Then the rest of the cast. And then at the bottom this new character who shows up, is cool, kicks some ass, but doesn't take up too much screentime. And then Kaworu.


Ritsuko's excessive screentime was a great source of frustration for me (episode 13 comes to mind). All that background information we get on her thoughout the show is just boring and unnecessary. I'd really like to see more dialogue between Rei, Shinji and Asuka. Rei's situation is understandable, but I think Asuka's interactions with Shinji need to be played up a bit. They did live together and end up together in the end, some positive interaction would be beneficial.

I really do hope that they won't minimize Misato's role to say, a Girlfriend of Steel function. I think she was the best foil to Shinji thoughout the series and her absence would leave void in that capacity.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 61
Posts: 20174
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:05 pm

Ayana-Me wrote:Ritsuko's excessive screentime


I liked her -- and her circumstances are central to what's really going on.

Ayana-Me wrote:some positive interaction would be beneficial.


I think the point is that the interaction is negative.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL
Avatar: Ritsu-chan

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2945
Joined: Sep 04, 2006
Location: I'm actually in a demon

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:14 pm

The new character will be Mana, but instead of being in the Trident program, she will be the pilot of Unit-04, which will blow up just like it did in the series.

Mana fans will be happy she's in the movie for a little while there, and haters will be happy she dies.

Anno wins.


Also, the JSSDF will be revealed to be an army of clones that have been trained from birth.

Mysterious Bridge Bunny #4 will play a bigger role, and will get a name this time.

Other stuffs, but I can't remember what I was thinking ATM.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

TriLink
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1294
Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TriLink » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:30 pm

BrikHaus82 wrote:You're right, just because he doesn't have a traumatic past doesn't mean he's not two-dimensional. Or wait, maybe he does have a traumatic past? Actually, we don't know anything about his past. In fact, it seems as if he has no past at all.

ISTR in the manga, Kaji mentioning something to Shinji about how he sold out all of his friends, which got them shot and killed by some soldiers (quite traumatizing to him understandibly). Different canon, I know, but it's never contradicted in the anime, so I don't see why they couldn't use it in Rebuild as well.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 22761
Joined: Aug 13, 2006
Location: Living in Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:15 pm

Gendospapa for the win, I think he summed it up best.

CorporalChaos: I like the way you think. ;)

And I agree that we're most likely not going to get a torrent, raw or otherwise, till the December.

*continous cuts to me checking various tBLEEPt sites at every hour on the hour after 9/1/07 rolls around....And me looking disappointed each time until one day I just sob uncontorablly....Only for that to be the day a torrent is up and it ironically turns out the movie is pure and utter shit.*


Though I think because BOTH Shinji and Misato are the "heroes of the story", Misato will get equal time (so to speak) as Shin-chan. That is, when we aren't seeing any interactions/character development between Shinji with Children (yes, Children. I'm being stubborn on purpose. Image) 1, 2, 4 and 5. ...A little of postive S/A interaction ala pre-Kiss Scene in episode 15 would be nice (eg: when Shinji's happy to see her when she gets back home and they chat for awhile.)

With Shinji's personality, I like the character growth we see in EoE, eg "That's fine. Thankyou.", provided he actually takes MORE than a little bit of a step forward. (I dunno how else to explain that!) With Asuka, final scene personality change=FTW, but again, expanding on that a little more would be nice. Though, it was a PERFECT way to end the series, not knowing what'll happen to either of them in terms of any personality changes... Finding out just what happens to ZOMG TEH Rei 3.0 this time around (eg: is my hunch right?), would be nice, too.


In terms of Kaji, I like how we don't find out about his past in the Anime, it makes him more mysterious. (I feel the same way about K-kun, but finding out about her life in Germany wouldn't be that bad??)



Oh yeah, in this Canon: Pen^2=GOD. 'Nuff said.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

cat42
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1243
Joined: Aug 20, 2006
Location: The editing room
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby cat42 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:28 am

My thoughts:
Anno said before that Shinji and Misato are the stories heroes. I think they will stay that way.
Kaworu will most likely be similar to the EMK (who I like :-p, even if he does kill a kitten.), rather than a stereotype like Gurren-Laggen's Leeron.
The new character will sadly be one of the Qualified Individuals.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Darknemo2000
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 77
Joined: Apr 23, 2007
Location: Lithuania

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Darknemo2000 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:59 pm

My guess is that while Rei and Kaworu will get more screen time - Asuka's and Misato's screentime will be reduced.

Think about

1-6 episodes - 90 Minutes

7-24 episodes - 90 Minutes

25-26 episodes and Movies - 45 Minutes

"Last Program", basically a mix of scenes showed before - 45 Minutes

So while first movie will be relatively slow paced, without chopping out too many scenes from characters and adding new ones (I hope it will be Rei more, rather than Kaworu), the second movie will be kind of ugh.

In the second movie's 90 minutes they will have to fit in Asuka's scenes, Touji's scenes and so on. Basically freaking 17 episodes (though I can guess that such episodes like 7th will be ignored in total). Thus characters there will gat less screentime and it will be more plot-centric.

And also, the new character should be introduced there. Means that more scenes should be chopped down from the original.

Thus my guess is - quite a big part of Asuka's scenes will be taken out, episodes like 7th or 13th will be ignored in general, there will be no A/S (there will be no time for that) except few comical relief scenes like in Sadamoto's manga, the new character will become shalllow due to the little time he/she would get. Or maybe they will make new charcter have more screen time, but reduce Asuka's screen time even more, also taking out quite a few scenes of Misato and Ritsuko.

I really would wish that the last two movies would be 90 minutes each instead of 45, and that would let them actually go in slower pace in second movie. But if nothing changes we will get quite a butchery in the second movie.

As a result -

Rei-fans will be happy (she will get more time). R/S fans will be pleased as it might get new scenes between the two. Unlesss Kaworu will be really greedy and take a lot of screentime.

Shinji-fans will be so-so (there arent all taht many Shinji fans really)

Kaworu-fans will be happy (if nothing changes he will have a major increase in his screen time, which I hope will never happen, but most likely it will)

Asuka-fans - will be sad as she will be reduced to something shallow, similar to Sadamoto's manga's blond bimbo (aka Asuka). Oh and A/S shippers will be extremely unhappy (my guess is taht it will be almsot totally ignored, due to little time they will have to fit in).

Misato's fans will be...I don't know. It depends on how they will treat Asuka and the new charcater, if both of them will have little screen time and turn into filler-in characters, then Misato might have some additional scenes boost, but otherwise her scren time will be reduced.

Ritsuko-fans - unhappy, as her screen time will be reduced (just like Asuka, Ritsuko is on the top list to be sacrificied in order to fit in the time limit).

New character fans - there will be no new character fans as it wont have enough time for him/her to develop unless they kill Asuka in an isntant or they pull up some magic trick and the few scenes that new charcter will get will be really meaningful and touching.

Other characters (Touji, Maya etc) - might be the same, with some cases of screetime cut because of the time limit.

Basically I dont think the future is bright unless you are Rei, Kaworu, Shinji and maybe Misato fan.

TriLink
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1294
Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TriLink » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:42 pm

cat42 wrote:Anno said before that Shinji and Misato are the stories heroes. I think they will stay that way.

I think saying that X is the hero of a story is a mistake. Like so many other things in life, it all really depends on your perspective of something. Take Shinji for example. Some people around here see him as a whining little puss, while others see him as the second coming of Jesus. And it's because of our different personalites and experiences that we see him so differently. In a show like EVA, with all of it's awesomely distinct characters, you can interpret almost anyone as the hero,(not just Shinji and Misato).
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 22761
Joined: Aug 13, 2006
Location: Living in Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Read and learn, young grasshopper:

[url]http://www.evamonkey.com/writings_anno01.php[/url] wrote:
And in that world, a 14-year-old boy shrinks from human contact. And he tries to live in a closed world where his behavior dooms him, and he has abandoned the attempt to understand himself. A cowardly young man who feels that his father has abandoned him, and so he has convinced himself that he is a completely unnecessary person, so much so that he cannot even commit suicide.

And there is a 29-year-old woman who lives life so lightly as to barely allow the possibility of a human touch. She protects herself by having suface level relationships, and running away.

Both are extremely afraid of being hurt. Both are unsuitable-lacking the positive attitude-for what people call heroes of an adventure. But in any case, they are the heroes of this story.


Yes, people can interpret the characters however they want, but Anno's saying those two ARE the protagonists.

Anyway, I have hope these movies won't suck. Of course, it's not going to be exactly the same as the original Eva, but at least it's "new and better". ;) (Being somewhat sardonic here.)
If anything, I think they would be 10x better than LAEM (though I'm still hoping that wouldn't fall into the stereotypical Hollywood-dized crap of a good, meaningful, story.)

Oh and hi Darknemo. *waves* I post on THAT BOARD....
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:38 pm

I BET IF PEOPLE SHUT THE HELL UP AND STOP COMPLAINING THEY MAY FIND THE END PRODUCT TO BE, GASP, GOOD

ALSO CAPS
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Posts: 5751
Joined: Feb 03, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:32 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:I BET IF PEOPLE SHUT THE HELL UP AND STOP COMPLAINING THEY MAY FIND THE END PRODUCT TO BE, GASP, GOOD

ALSO CAPS
:lol:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 22761
Joined: Aug 13, 2006
Location: Living in Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:32 pm

Trigger's Elysium
^
What he said. :D
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TriLink
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1294
Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TriLink » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:41 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Yes, people can interpret the characters however they want, but Anno's saying those two ARE the protagonists.

Anno also says Kaworu is a boy, and that his show is just "Interesting". Of course, we know these to outright falshehoods, right? :roll:

And keep in mind that heroes and protagonists are two different things. One CAN be a protagonist without being a hero *COUGHSHINJICOUGH* :wink:
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma
Posts: 23058
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Lost in Bat Country
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:46 pm

TriLink12 wrote:Anno also says Kaworu is a boy

WAIT WERE DID ANNO SAY THAT

TriLink
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1294
Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TriLink » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:54 pm

Reichu wrote:
TriLink12 wrote:Anno also says Kaworu is a boy

WAIT WERE DID ANNO SAY THAT

Oh boy, why did I know that was what you were going to reply to?
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma
Posts: 23058
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Lost in Bat Country
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:58 pm

TriLink12 wrote:Oh boy, why did I know that was what you were going to reply to?

SOURCE WITH ANNO STATING KAWORU HAS BALLS OR GTFO, LOL


Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests