How was the Movie?

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

How was the Movie?

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:02 pm

I figured we needed some sort of official movie review thread. Just a little place where we can post, review, praise, and complain about whatever movie (new or old) that we just watched. Feel free to comment on my own ramblings or write reviews to whatever you have recently seen.
-----------------------------------------------

Grindhouse

Just watched this last night. Wow! I can't remember the last time I saw a double feature :D

Planet Terror (dir. Robert Rodriguez) = A
Fake Trailers (dir. various) = A+
Death Proof (dir. Quentin Tarantino) = D

Planet Terror and the fake trailers alone were worth the price of admission. Death Proof, I guess, I just took as a bonus since it really isn't very good. Quentin Tarantino is one of my all time favorite directors. I have all his movies and really enjoy his artistic style. But his movie was just...well, crappy. It's just talk, talk, talk, and the talking isn't even very good. You know how Tarantino's dialogue is usually funny or interesting? Well, this time it was just boring. No "Like a Virgin" or "Royale with Cheese" type of dialogue, no, it was just contrived, boring dialogue which only function seemed to extend the running time. I kept looking at my watch as the second movie went on and on. It's extremely boring with little to no payoff at the end. Sure, the car chase is cool, but was it really worth an hour and ten minutes of the shit that came before it? A slasher movie (like the one featured in the "Thanksgiving" trailer) probably would have been a better choice to double up with the insanity that was Planet Terror. Planet Terror was non-stop action, blood, guts, laughs, and pretty much pure genius. My only gripe with it was that Tarantino's "cameo" was a little too long. Otherwise, the movie really rocked. I find it ironic that Rodriguez, who is the lesser of the two filmmakers, made the far superior movie.

If you see it, just be sure not to skip the trailers in between the two films. Instead, go to the bathroom as soon as Death Proof begins.

I just read that one of the fake trailers (Machete) is going to become a real movie, and I'm extremely happy now :D

Grindhouse is highly recommended for any fans of low-budget films with absolutely no artistic aspirations. Also recommended for fans of B-horror, zombie, and car chase movies. If you're a fan of either Rodriguez or Tarantino, then this is pretty much required viewing.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:58 pm

boobs
blood
manliness
SPARTA

That's all you need to know. 10/10

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Re: How was the Movie?

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:25 pm

BrikHaus81 wrote:But his movie was just...well, crappy. It's just talk, talk, talk, and the talking isn't even very good. You know how Tarantino's dialogue is usually funny or interesting? Well, this time it was just boring. No "Like a Virgin" or "Royale with Cheese" type of dialogue, no, it was just contrived, boring dialogue which only function seemed to extend the running time. I kept looking at my watch as the second movie went on and on. It's extremely boring with little to no payoff at the end. Sure, the car chase is cool, but was it really worth an hour and ten minutes of the shit that came before it?

I disagree about the movie not paying off. The ending has to be one of the best I've ever seen simply because of the excessive dialogue. I think the entirety of Death Proof was, in fact, one long joke; if you don't get it than you don't get it, no muss. I saw several people walk out, and despite my enjoyment of the dialogue (for what it was, I thought it was very well-written), my ass sympathized with them completely. But those that stayed, endured, and got to the finale erupted into one of the biggest collective fits of laughter and applause I've ever witnessed in a movie theater. It's like the film equivalent of fishing--you sit there, you relax, you take in the scenery, you get a nibble, then nothing. Nibble, then nothing. Then you're pulled clear into the water and come up to find a hundred dollar bill at the end of your hook.

Maybe you were just antsy from having sat there for so long.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:39 pm

Zkh wrote:300

boobs
blood
manliness
SPARTA

That's all you need to know. 10/10
*They need to quit tackling all of these 2nd/3rd rate graphic novels and someone with some real friggin talent needs to take on Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and Alan Moore's Watchmen. I'd also love to see a Marvels adaptation. Or how about an HBO Sandman or Preacher series? Hell, Preacher would be badass and fit right in with HBO's stuff...

*PS, for those who don't know what I'm talking about, I suggest you run to your nearest book/comic store or check out Amazon. All of the above are worth getting - Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns especially.

I don't go to many theaters to see films, but I can review whatever I rent from Netflix. Right now I have Ugetsu (old Japanese classic) and Babel.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:24 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:They need to quit tackling all of these 2nd/3rd rate graphic novels and someone with some real friggin talent needs to take on Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and Alan Moore's Watchmen. I'd also love to see a Marvels adaptation. Or how about an HBO Sandman or Preacher series? Hell, Preacher would be badass and fit right in with HBO's stuff...

Watchmen was perfect, I don't think it needs to be made a movie, it is destined to be shit compared to Alan Moore's graphic novel.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:26 pm

Though Sin City 2 is purportedly coming out next year, you would think Hollywood would be quicker to trot out more of Miller's work. In terms of series like Watchmen, et al, if one of the "movers and shakers" thinks that there's something to be told (or sold), it will happen.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:02 pm

Ornette wrote:
Watchmen was perfect, I don't think it needs to be made a movie, it is destined to be shit compared to Alan Moore's graphic novel.
It's not "destined to be shit". I wouldn't expect any adaptation (and that's what it would be) to live up to the depth and complexity of the novel. But with a real talented director behind the helm they might be able to create a really good film.

I think of V for Vendetta in the same light. The novel is 10x better than the film, but the film is quite good on its own.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:Though Sin City 2 is purportedly coming out next year, you would think Hollywood would be quicker to trot out more of Miller's work. In terms of series like Watchmen, et al, if one of the "movers and shakers" thinks that there's something to be told (or sold), it will happen.
Well, Batman Begins was very much inspired by Dark Knight Returns's feel and look. With something like the Watchmen they'd have to make it on the "it needs to be told" basis, because there's not much to sell. Which means if it is brought to screen it will probably be by fans of the novel who will devote the time and attention to it that it deserves.

Something like The Preacher, however, I think would do very nicely on HBO.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:16 pm

V for Vendetta was a rather decent movie, except when V wastes all the British guys in the tunnel in the end.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:29 am

It was a good watch, and I'll probably get the DVD too. But the filtering was just unecessary, because the best looking parts were when they didn't use it as much.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:00 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Ornette wrote:
It's not "destined to be shit". I wouldn't expect any adaptation (and that's what it would be) to live up to the depth and complexity of the novel. But with a real talented director behind the helm they might be able to create a really good film.

In comparison to the original work, it will be shit. For someone who watches the movie without reading the original 12 issue series, it'll probably be ok. I am in no way predicting whether an adaptation will be a hit at the box offices or not. But it will pale in comparison with the original work. I do realize that we're talking about 2 different mediums here: comic books and a movie you can go to your local theatre to see. But I would much rather see stuff that can use a remake. Sin City and Sandman are good examples of very popular comics that could have benefited by a movie interpretation.

And as far as Frank Miller's 300, I personally didn't find it as good as the dark knight minis (I was young back then, my tastes probably changed some), plus in high school I was responsible for everything having to do with humanities on our academic team, so I studied the battle of Thermopylae and although greek historians' accounts vary quite a bit, the Spartans (and Thespians and Thebians) ended up slaughtering a lot of persians before getting backstabbed, but I didn't think much of the 300 movie. Although I read somewhere that it was really cheap to make.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:54 am

Ornette wrote:Although I read somewhere that it was really cheap to make.

The only cheap thing about it is that they didn't have to fly people over to do location filming, it was all on sets. However, it still cost $60 million.

ferrarimanf355
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:27 pm

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theaters

If you're not a fan, avoid this one, but if you are, see it, dammit! And it has the best film poster ever.
Bow down before its awesomeness. 8)
myspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobig... I am a banana!

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:36 pm

Why does the title sound like a rip-off of Borat?

ferrarimanf355
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:10 pm

Szmitten wrote:Why does the title sound like a rip-off of Borat?

... because it is? 8)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:22 pm

Haha - the cover is a direct ripoff of Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell(s):

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:12 pm

The poster for ATHFCMFFT is a reference to Conan the Barbarian and a few other things.

I for one don't really think that the title was a ripoff of Borat. ATHF is already a long title, and "Colon Movie Film for Theaters" is just adding more silliness.

That said, it was as good as I hoped. Be sure you make it there for the beginning of the movie, as it's one of the best parts. And, as with many episodes of the series, don't expect a plot resolution. XD
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:10 pm

ferrarimanf355 wrote:Image
I have to say, while I loathe ATHF (I don't smoke anything and therefore not a fan of stoner humor in case you are wondering), that is one of the greatest movie posters ever! :D
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:50 pm

I disliked ATHF the first few times I saw it, but eventually started liking it and then loving it. It's an acquired taste, like I find many of [adult swim]'s shows to be. The only reason I kept watching it was because I thought it was done in Flash, and as a Flash animator I like watching the animation style of other professional Flash animations. It wasn't until much later that I found out it's done in Adobe After Effects. XD
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

ferrarimanf355
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:11 pm

NAveryW wrote:I disliked ATHF the first few times I saw it, but eventually started liking it and then loving it. It's an acquired taste, like I find many of [adult swim]'s shows to be. The only reason I kept watching it was because I thought it was done in Flash, and as a Flash animator I like watching the animation style of other professional Flash animations. It wasn't until much later that I found out it's done in Adobe After Effects. XD

Any way you look at it, how can you hate the Mooninites?
(Oh, right...)

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:42 pm

ferrarimanf355 wrote:Any way you look at it, how can you hate the Mooninites?

Because they tried to blow up Boston![/offtopicness]
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Return to “Film and Video”