Hideaki Anno, the next George Lucas?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:07 pm

Reichu wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:
Reichu wrote:The thing about "Kevin" is news to me.

Possibly a UKism -- some names just seem to pick up these associations.

The first thing that came to my mind when you mentioned "Kevin" was this.

What's with that link?

The first thing that came to my mind was Kevin the Teenager.
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:20 pm

Katayoku no Tenshi wrote:What's with that link?

Hmm... Go to page 26 here.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:15 pm

I just read this in another thread:

Otsuki wrote:Anno is completely absorbed in the project. We're taking full advantage of 3D CG technology that wasn't available 12 years ago. The amount of visual information in each frame will be enormous--our staff members are almost overwhelmed. You might have to watch the climax of the first installment three or more times to catch all of it. It'll be out in Japan this summer.

Sounds suspiciously similar to a quote used by George Lucas in regards to his Star Wars films.

That's it Anno, you're on notice! [/Colbert]

Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:57 pm

Man I would die to see what Colbert would have to say about Eva.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:02 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Man I would die to see what Colbert would have to say about Eva.
I do not know if Eva will reach such mainstream attention that someone like Colbert would comment on it and the studio audience would actually know what the fcuk he was talking about. But I still would love to see that! :)
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Ayana-Me
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ayana-Me » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:16 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:I do not know if Eva will reach such mainstream attention that someone like Colbert would comment on it and the studio audience would actually know what the fcuk he was talking about. But I still would love to see that! :)

Stephen Colbert hasn't shyed away from relatively obscure musical references (DK's Kill the Poor comes to mind) in the past. Maybe sometime on the Colbert Report, he'll applaud Evangelion for bringing "Christian values" to all those Japanese heathens :D

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:29 pm

Szmitten wrote:First of all, if Anno made a prequel to Evangelion, most fans would embrace it. Secondly: short-films, first sucesses, mainstream work, personal projects and breaks are common for nearly EVERY director. Ever.

Unless it sucked

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:25 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Is Kaworu Eva's equivilent of C-3PO?

I dunno, but I'm certain R2D2 is Pen-Pen.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:06 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:I do not know if Eva will reach such mainstream attention that someone like Colbert would comment on it and the studio audience would actually know what the fuck he was talking about. But I still would love to see that! :)

If only there was someone out there who was a hardcore Evangelion AND Stephen Colbert fan. Someone who could send countless emails to the Repore asking him to talk about EVA on one of his shows.

Does anyone know somebody like this?
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:16 pm

TriLink12 wrote:If only there was someone out there who was a hardcore Evangelion AND Stephen Colbert fan. Someone who could send countless emails to the Repore asking him to talk about EVA on one of his shows.

Does anyone know somebody like this?

None that I could think of. :)
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

iamsynch
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby iamsynch » Sun May 03, 2009 5:13 am

I always thought Star Wars was terrible, both the original and prequels. I enjoyed the latter more b/c of the superior special effects. The original SW films are so dated, I fail to see how it can generate new fans (I mean, when Darth Vader was piloting his tie fighter, the controls looked so... tacky).

I don't see Anno as the ambitious type who wants to appeal to the masses and make money. I think his dabbling in non-animated films is a proof of that.

Tetsu Aero
Embryo

Re: Hideaki Anno, the next George Lucas?

•      
  •      

Postby Tetsu Aero » Sun May 03, 2009 6:12 am

BrikHaus wrote:Fallout
9.) The new Star Wars films generate huge revenues. However, they are generally regarded as quite bad, forever tarnishing the once flawless memories of the original films. Lucas is now regarded as a talentless hack by even his most dedicated fans. He is accused of milking the series. Many agree he should have just left the series alone.

lol that's so untrue

To the Future
10.) Lucas fades into obscurity for the rest of his life, produces nothing else, although occasionally collaborates with his friend Spielberg. He continues to play a role in the Star Wars universe, but merely as a licensor for other works based off his original concepts.

Now that's of the rocker, heard of the successfull The Clone Wars and the upcoming Live action series?

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sun May 03, 2009 11:21 am

I would not put Anno on the same level as Lucas since Eva 1.0 was much better then Indy 4 and Episode I-II since those where crap. The one thing I like about Lucas is that he stays alway from EU most of the time which is a good thing.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

pablumatic
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pablumatic » Sun May 03, 2009 3:11 pm

Anno is growing more similar to Lucas the longer he's involved with Evangelion, but I haven't seen him really grind it into the ground as Lucas has with Star Wars. We'll see how Rebuild goes, so my mind could change on this.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun May 03, 2009 5:08 pm

If Anno had truly gone George Lucas he would have had Rei grope Shinji first.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sun May 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Lets hope their is no refrigerator scene in the Rubild sequels.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Sun May 03, 2009 9:42 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote:Lets hope their is no refrigerator scene in the Rubild sequels.

Riding out 3I in a lead-lined fridge would be a neat trick, though. Maybe that's how Pen-Pen survives.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun May 03, 2009 11:25 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:If Anno had truly gone George Lucas he would have had Pen pen squabble in a Jamaican accent.

Fixed. ^_^
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Maximilian
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Maximilian » Mon May 04, 2009 1:37 am

master0rolando wrote:i didnt really think there was anything wrong with the newer Star Wars...the fans were all just mad to see the Dark and mysterious Darth Vader as a little boy and then as a backstreet boy...but i dont know what the hell they were expecting...

Probably a film without wooden acting, what was obviously poor direction, pointlessly annoying characters, lame and obvious plot twists, bad writing, two-dimensional characters without any real motivation that were impossible to empathize with, and an emphasis on special effects that by the time they were released were hardly special at all. The movies were pointless, they created more plot holes than they covered. I think that seeing Darth as a young kid was really the draw of the film, seeing how this innocent child would turn out to be an evil Sith dude... only it turned out to be boring and embarrassingly bad. I hate the defense that these are "kid movies," as if movies directed at a child audience can't be made as well as one aimed at adults. Not to mention the conclusion to the 3rd movie, where the main character is burned alive, and we get to see liquid flesh melting off his dismembered body. Real kid friendly.

The original trilogy wasn't perfect, it was the Harry Potter of film in its day: notable and remembered because it was entertaining and popular, not because it was beautiful or breathtaking. However, following that with the prequel trilogy is as if Rowling released the Twilight series following Potter: turning something good but not amazing into something that's just poor.

Now, look at Anno in comparison. He made a series that was groundbreaking, entertaining, and complex. Sure, Gainax totally cashed in on it, but it was still great. Sure, it was way more notable for its character interaction than for its action scenes (which were pretty boring, IMO, the only one that really affected me in the series was when Eva 01 tore up 03, but even then it was because I knew Toji was in there and Shinji was watching his machine kill him [character interaction]), but it was still great. The new films are making them way more entertaining, introducing Eva to a wider audience, and giving an old story a new direction - and this, in the case of an established and widely cared for template such as Eva, is almost more effective than starting over or having a story with only chronological ties to a previous work.

Compared to episodes 1-6 of the series, Rebuild 01 is an improvement. Sure, you don't get as much pointless still shots and there's not quite as much character development (but hey, we're talking a movie vs. a series here, so that's really not a fair comparison), but the action draws you in and the pacing is soooo much better. 02 is going to be a totally different beast, adding in totally new story arcs and characters, so here's hoping it's even better.

After anyone over the age of 12 saw Star Wars Episode 1, they knew there was no hope. As I see it, that's where the main difference lies.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 04, 2009 1:52 am

Maximilian wrote:Sure, it was way more notable for its character interaction than for its action scenes

I've generally heard nice things about the action choreography in NGE. (I think I've heard more people complain about the characters than the action sequences being "boring", truth to tell.)

Compared to episodes 1-6 of the series, Rebuild 01 is an improvement.

Eva 1.0 is often criticized for feeling "soulless", or suchlike, despite how pretty it looks. It does some things better, but in other ways it suffers. I guess the "ultimate test" will be to see how many of the "Rebuild popped my Eva cherry" fans (they'll inevitably show up at some point) end up liking the original show better.

Sure, you don't get as much pointless still shots

At least some slow moments are still there, thank gawd. Too much hyperkinetic entertainment and everything else these days.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”