The Saddest, Most Depressing Films/Series/Music/etc.

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

The Saddest, Most Depressing Films/Series/Music/etc.

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:55 am

Music:

For me, there isn't an album that embodies utter hopelessness and depression like Alice in Chains' Dirt. Written about Layne Staley's heroine addiction, it's a harrowing listen, even today. It's also a brilliant piece of music. AiC were doing things that few bands dared to do at the time. Experimenting with extremely dark but superb vocal and guitar harmonies that would make the Beatles proud, and subtle, jarring rhythmic and melodic soundscapes. They were probably the best band to come out of the 90's Alt. rock movement (A largely unpopular opinion, I know).

Film:

There's lots here, but the one that stands out to me is Grave of the Fireflies. If it's one film I swear I'll never set through again it's this one. I don't know if there's ever been a more powerful, poignant, anti-war film put to screen than this.

Series:

It's probably because I just finished watching it, but I have to go with Texhnolyze here. Though this may change as I have more time to reflect and as I watch some of the new series I have on order. But Texhnolyze's ending is one of the most powerful, haunting endings I've ever seen. It really leaves an indelible mark and burns that final image into your brain.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:57 am

Thank you for bringing Texhnolyze to my attention. It looks like something that I'm going to seriously enjoy/study.

It's difficult to find something that actually depresses me. What has left horrible effects on me is the ending of "Requiem for a Dream" and "Animatrix: The Second Renaissance". These have probably been seen though.

Not as depressing, but I do recommend "Last Days" by Gus Van Sant, which is an adaptation of Kurt Cobains isolation and suicide. I'd also suggest watching Sant's other "Death Trilogy" films. (Wiki it)

Plus, watch the "Infernal Affairs" trilogy. Not really sad initially, but you must watch it. BY the third film you do seem quite empathetic for the characters.

I personally would like to see (or learn of) a dark anime that seriously deals with suicide and the build up to it. I think it would have a lot of potential.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:19 pm

Szmitten wrote:
I personally would like to see (or learn of) a dark anime that seriously deals with suicide and the build up to it. I think it would have a lot of potential.
Heh, before someone beats me to it, NGE has a ton of symbolism in it regarding suicide. No doubt echoing Anno's own thoughts at the time. But it doesn't deal with the subject "directly" like you're talking about.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:31 pm

"Nimrod" from the Enigma Variations of Edward Elgar. I performed it at competition in St. Louis with my middle school band in 6th grade. I still know it by heart. Damn we were a good band.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:59 pm

Music: The songs that I find most movingly melancholy are "Mad World" (the Donnie Darko version; haven't heard the other one) and "Gollum's Song". "Komm Susser Tod" is up there too.

Series: Mahoromatic; not going any farther into that. I'll just say that... well, look at the link in my signature if you care. As for individual episode, the Futurama episode "Jurassic Bark" was very moving and made me cry. It didn't make me actually clinically depressed like Mahoromatic did, but that's definitely a good thing.

Movie: Hmm... I'll have to think about this one.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:10 pm

"Mad World" was a good one. Komm Susser Tod is weird, because the lyrics are sad, but the song has such a happy, poppy beat, so I'm torn. I go back to Texhnolyze for truly sad/depressing songs: Check out Tsuki no Uta and Walking Through the Empty Age for two truly heartbreaking pieces (especially within the context of the series).

Haha, Jurassic Bark... That actually was a sad episode. I was actually shocked when I saw that because you always expect those types of shows to be constantly silly.

I'll have to check out Mahoromatic.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:14 pm

Music: Bach - Air on G String has a sad effect on me, but really good piece

Series: At the moment it's NGE, but I want to check out Texhonilyze

Movie: The Professional

Edited
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:14 pm

Music: That damn Christmas Shoes song and other tragic songs of that ilk.

Series: Can't think of one in particular.

Film: Every Holocaust movie, a few disaster/war disaster movies and some of those tragedy-oriented chick flicks.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:40 pm

Music: The Last Of The Great Whales - The Irish Decendants

Series: Elfen Lied

Movie: I've never been one to watch a lot of movies, in general

BTW, Yojimbo, when Avery says that Mahoromatic made him clinically depressed, know that he loathes the ending more than anything else <_<
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:49 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:
BTW, Yojimbo, when Avery says that Mahoromatic made him clinically depressed, know that he loathes the ending more than anything else <_<
Know that by you saying that, it just sadistically (masochistically?) makes me all the more interested... :P

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:00 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Trigger's Elysium wrote:
Know that by you saying that, it just sadistically (masochistically?) makes me all the more interested... :P

It's an ecchi all the way through, until the final episode where it turns into a typical "LOL WTF GAINAX ENDING". I'd say to just skip to the end but then there'd be nothing to contrast it with.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:56 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:BTW, Yojimbo, when Avery says that Mahoromatic made him clinically depressed, know that he loathes the ending more than anything else <_<

I object! Nobody loathes the ending to Mahoromatic more than I do. I even went so far as to create a fanedit (read as: recut) of the series into 3 films in order to change the ending. The first one is done and floating around on torrent, the other two are in the pipeline.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:33 pm

me wrote: Damn I hated Chorus..

There, thats how I feel about chorus.
Also, the fucking Star Wars holiday special. No forgiving that shit for someone.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:32 pm

Note though that most people aren't affected by Mahoromatic the way that I was. While the majority of viewers dislike Mahoromatic's ending, it doesn't actually make most people depressed to the extent it did me. If I had known to expect a sad ending, it probably wouldn't have bothered me as much. I'm sure I still would have been bothered, but I doubt it would be nearly to that extent. So don't go into the show expecting it to make you want to kill yourself.

(Just so you know, I've never contemplated suicide. That was a slight exaggeration. Slight.)

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:57 pm

NAveryW wrote:Note though that most people aren't affected by Mahoromatic the way that I was. While the majority of viewers dislike Mahoromatic's ending, it doesn't actually make most people depressed to the extent it did me. If I had known to expect a sad ending, it probably wouldn't have bothered me as much. I'm sure I still would have been bothered, but I doubt it would be nearly to that extent. So don't go into the show expecting it to make you want to kill yourself.

(Just so you know, I've never contemplated suicide. That was a slight exaggeration. Slight.)

Slight... >_> *hugs*
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:45 pm

Don't know if you guys have seen this video, but it sure hit the spot :cry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue4IzCtBqeo
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamie the Great
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jamie the Great » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:22 pm

Movie: Schindler's list

Anime: Elfin Leid was really sad.

Song: Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:48 pm

The saddest anime I've ever seen is perhaps Voices of a Distant Star. No anime (or any tv show or movie, for that matter) has ever made me cry, but this came closer than any to almost making it happen.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:00 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I'll have to check out Mahoromatic.

Mahoro is made of win and awesome. It's even one of my GF's favorite shows. And I'm in the very small minority that actually liked the ending.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:42 am

BrikHaus81 wrote:No anime (or any tv show or movie, for that matter) has ever made me cry

Congratulations, you're not human! :)

/Be glad. Humans are miserable creatures.

Return to “Film and Video”