Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Texhnolyze is F'ing Brilliant...

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 pm

This is the only anime I've yet seen that even compares to NGE in terms of artistic depth. It's also the only one since NGE to make me feel like I'd REALLY been through something by the end.

For those who haven't seen it, I couldn't describe it well. It's utterly beautiful. The visuals jump out at you. And I'm not talking about "ooh, pretty animation, flashing lights, big guns, lotsa movement" type of visuals: I'm talking REAL cinematic visuals. The direction throughout the entire series in how every shot is set up is just incredibly meticulous. It's almost exhausting how much detail goes into the visuals. It forces you to pay attention to every shot and change.

The pace is extremely slow. But it's elegently slow - like a largo in a beautiful classical piece - and not boringly slow. The first episode probably has less than 10 lines of dialogue, and very little happpens, but it grabs your attention anyway and makes you realize the importance of visuals in the series.

The story takes a while to unfold, but it reminds me of NGE in that around 3/4 of the way through it REALLY picks up. And even though the pace never reaches a boiling point, it remains measured and intense throughout. There are many episodes where not much happens and the episode just serves to slowly advance the story. You really have to allow the hypnotic, rhythmic flow of this series to pull you in or many of these episodes will become tedious rather than engrossing.

The characters are perhaps less likable than in NGE, but by the end of the series you can't help but find yourself rooting for them. If it's one of the more obvious flaws of the series, it's that we don't get a deep enough look at the main characters. Rather, it's more about their relationships and their part to play in the grand scheme of the story.

The ending is extremely powerful. And the series as a whole is haunting as hell. The music is outstanding - among the best I've heard in an anime yet. For those who want to hear a terrific song, check out its closing number "Tsuki no Uta". The song played during the final episode is gorgeous and absolutely heartbreaking.

Overall I can't recommend this series enough. I'll definitely have to watch it again. It's NOT a sunny, happy series. It makes NGE look like a Disney film (in tone) by comparison. But if you're in the mood for a dark, gorgeous, and meloncholy series; don't hesitate to pick it up.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:26 pm

I... must... buy....
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:36 pm

You should post that here:
http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1139
In the anime recommendations (and review) thread (i'd merge your post if I could)

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:41 am

I would get it if the price of the collection wasn't so freaking expensive. (Currently it is around $120 to $150 US)
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:48 am

Hunter21 wrote:(Currently it is around $120 to $150 US)

£120 = $230 in the UK. I must make time to watch it, some day, rather than let it gather dust.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:54 am

Yeah... When I saw the price I was like "Uh, no."

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:07 am

Ornette wrote:You should post that here:
http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1139
In the anime recommendations (and review) thread (i'd merge your post if I could)
I was going to, but someone already posted a recommendation. Guess I could post another one...

Guys, it can be had brand new on Amazon from the seller Caiman (very reliable, I order a ton of stuff from him/her including DVDs and truckloads of CDs) for $100. It can also be had used/like new right now for around $87.

$100 for 22 eps. is about the going rate for a regular set unless it's a thinpack. I mean, look at the FLCL set that has 6 eps. for $50 or so. Cowboy Bebop sells for about $130 for the entire set for 26 eps. It's all about the packaging.

The packaging on the Lenticular set is very nice. A good, sturdy box. And the box and all the DVDs come with these special "3D lens" covers attached: the types where the image moves if you move it (hard to explain if you don't know what I'm talking about - think Tool's Aenima if you have that album).
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:19 am

I started watching the first episode. I waited ten minutes for someone to say something before giving up. I'll finish it when I'm in the mood for being confused for the sake of it.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:27 am

ThroneofDravaris wrote:I started watching the first episode. I waited ten minutes for someone to say something before giving up. I'll finish it when I'm in the mood for being confused for the sake of it.
The first episode is extremely austere and even a bit abstract. It's completely original too in that I've never seen any series begin the way Texh does. But it makes you focus on the story the visuals are telling.

In reality, in Texh, the visuals tell a story all their own. Often times they're much more important than any dialogue that's being said. And the first episode serves to highlight just how important they are. The entire series requires patience. Because it lacks the big explosions and fights in every episode. The pace is very methodical. And, like I said, it also requires you to allow yourself to be sucked into the hypnotic atmosphere of the show to get the most out of it or you'll be bored to tears.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:18 pm

If you like tecxhnolyze, you should also check out these anime

Serial Experiments Lain
Boogiepop Phantom
Haibani Renmei
NieA Under 7
Kinos Travels
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:36 pm

Defectron wrote:If you like tecxhnolyze, you should also check out these anime

Serial Experiments Lain
Boogiepop Phantom
Haibani Renmei
NieA Under 7
Kinos Travels
I've seen Lain but it was so long ago, at a friend's house, when I didn't know (or care) much about anime that I don't remember much of it. The rest are on my "to get" list. In what order do you think I should get them (Lain included)?

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:45 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Defectron wrote:If you like tecxhnolyze, you should also check out these anime

Serial Experiments Lain
Boogiepop Phantom
Haibani Renmei
NieA Under 7
Kinos Travels
I've seen Lain but it was so long ago, at a friend's house, when I didn't know (or care) much about anime that I don't remember much of it. The rest are on my "to get" list. In what order do you think I should get them (Lain included)?

Lain is very.... weird... but interesting.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:28 pm

Opteron-O3 wrote:
I like weird and interesting. Mulholland Drive and Jacob's Ladder are two of my favorite movies. And David Lynch = badass overall.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:50 pm

Lain covers some rather interesting subjects, to say the least.

I've seen Lain and part of Renmei. I should get around to watching the rest.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:53 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Opteron-O3 wrote:
I like weird and interesting. Mulholland Drive and Jacob's Ladder are two of my favorite movies. And David Lynch = badass overall.

I haven't seen the whole series because I too was not very interested in Anime at the time, but I think I'll watch it today or tomorrow.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:57 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:Lain covers some rather interesting subjects, to say the least.

I've seen Lain and part of Renmei. I should get around to watching the rest.

If you guys are interested in shows like these you should definitely check out: Lain, Haibane Renmei (one of the few anime masterpieces, IMHO), Boogiepop Phantom, and Paranoia Agent.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:37 pm

The only thing I know about it is the final episode ED because it's sung by Ishida Yoko-sama in English (its the final track on her 2nd Album All Of Me). "Walking through the Empty Age", it's a very sad-sounding yet powerful song.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:21 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:The only thing I know about it is the final episode ED because it's sung by Ishida Yoko-sama in English (its the final track on her 2nd Album All Of Me). "Walking through the Empty Age", it's a very sad-sounding yet powerful song.
Yes it is. It's really beautiful too. Check out Tsuki no Uta. All I've ever heard is the TV version which I think is all that's available on CD. I don't know if there even is a longer version, but it's really too bad if there isn't because it's a truly beautiful song.

BrikHaus81 wrote:
If you guys are interested in shows like these you should definitely check out: Lain, Haibane Renmei (one of the few anime masterpieces, IMHO), Boogiepop Phantom, and Paranoia Agent.
Paranoia Agent is one I've been really wanting to see because it was done by the guy who did Perfect Blue - which I loved.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:35 pm

I don't know if there'd be any sort of correct order, but I thought Boogiepop phantom and Lain were the best of them.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:01 pm

Defectron wrote:

I don't know if there'd be any sort of correct order, but I thought Boogiepop phantom and Lain were the best of them.

You could maybe watch them in chronological order. But yeah, no order is really necessary. I would personally save Haibane Renmei for last since it's the best of those shows, of course, that's only my opinion, you may not agree once you've seen them all. Boogiepop will require repeat viewings since the story is not told in chronological order. Paranoia Agent is just weird and crazy with a lot of symbolism, but you can pretty much figure out everything on the first watch through as long as you pay close attention.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Anime and Manga”