[LAEM] How would YOU do it?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:43 pm

I'd probably condense the story to some extent and add a bit of new material, but keeping the flow pretty similar to the flow Evangelion usually has. I might make a few alterations to the characters, like make Shinji a bit more confident, lighten his whiny behavior, and make him a bit more happy. Asuka, I'd probably make her appear more innocent, but still keep her the bitch and depressed girl she is. Rei doesn't really need to be changed.

That or I'd just make a series very similar to Evangelion, but keeping it original in its own way(like Firefly was to Cowboy Bebop).

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:54 am

I don't know if I'd trust myself to make it, since in a lot of ways I don't think I'd be willing to take all the risks necessary to create a truly compelling movie (at least, compelling for the fans). In my own attempts at jotting down outlines and such, I've found it difficult to pull myself away from the source material enough to shake the story up in a way that would get fans excited. Whenever I get something down on paper, I feel like "yeah, it gets the job done, but it's basically a few episodes of the show shortened down to 2 hours."

That's not to say I'd want to make an remarkably drastic departure from the source like Rebuild 2.0, but I wouldn't want it to end up feeling like "been there, done that" the way Rebuild 1.0 was, either. I think somewhere in between the drastic revisions of Rebuild 2.0, and the original series is where the sweet spot probably lies, but I certainly haven't found it yet. Hopefully, the actual writers will be more successful than I have been.

So basically, I know basically what I want the movies to be-- I want them to tell the basic story of the show, while stirring things up enough to keep it interesting and fresh for me, and make it accessible to a new audience. However, from what I've seen so far, I think that my approach has been too fanboyish, and that I don't have the guts to take creative liberties worthy of note. Basically, I hope that whoever writes the movie is a lot bolder than I am, or we might be looking at a trilogy of Evangelion 1.0's in live action.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:33 am

No need to imagine anymore. Some kid on IMDb named Spencer is going to make this movie, and nothing is going to stop him (including the authorities).
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:42 am

Uriel Septim VII wrote:Some kid on IMDb named Spencer
http://forum.evageeks.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4123
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:00 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Kaworu and Asuka make out.

THIS.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:29 am

Get outta the way! Gimme room! I'm directing!

First, I would attempt to cast child actors for the roles of Shinji, Rei, and Asuka. If I can't find ones I thought could act, I would cast slightly older actors and fake younger looking faces through make-up.

Second, I would probably use both CGI and animatronics for the Eva, the Angels, and the sets. Neither would be completely CGI, and neither would be completely animatronic/miniature. The cost and logistics of a fully functioning, full body Eva animatronic is very impractical. Needs to be a mix of both.

Third, build lots of full-size sets. Believe me, it's worth every penny of it. not EVERY set needs to be built full size. But I would like full size Eva control center, two halves of the interior entry plug (the inside of that thing is very narrow. It's better to cut the thing in half and shoot two ends separately), and a full size section of the Eva hanger, complete with a flooded floor, and a full sized, top half of the Eva Unit 01.

Fourth, not have the camera move too much. It got very annoying in Transformers when the moving camera constantly disoriented the audience. Evas are things the audience is not used to seeing at first anyway, so we need some good solid tripod shots of the Evas to introduce them in battle before we can go all creative with camera movement during the battles.

Fifth, find an easier and more comprehensible way to tell the weird, psycho elements in episode 25 and 26. I'd probably follow more of the End of Evangelion way of telling that part of the story.

Sixth, wait and see if there's a new ending to the Rebuild series, and see if I want to implement that instead of the strange EOE ending. Remember, we're talking about the general American male as the primary target audience. Other audiences should enjoy it as well, but you've got to call things a certain way when you're dealing with Hollywood studios. And there should be an ending that makes more sense more quickly in that situation. I don't want to take away from the intellectual side of the script, I would just want to tell it in a way that's more easily understandable to the general public.

Other than that, I wouldn't change much. The characters would be mostly the same. And difference between the originals and mine would probably be unintentional.

I don't know what actors to assign the cast of Evangelion yet. All I know is that I would keep Shia LaBoufe and Tom Cruise out f it.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:40 am

Just want to say glad no one here is directing live action Eva. It all sounds very.... tired. Been there. Done that.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:53 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Just want to say glad no one here is directing live action Eva. It all sounds very.... tired. Been there. Done that.

Actually, I have to agree with you. I mean, we already have the Rebuild coming out anyway. And animation is the most efficient way of getting giant synthetic beings, good "child actors", and the whole works. If a LAEM were to come out now, it would be overkill.

My above post is just how I would hypothetically direct one.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:18 pm

in addition to what NAW and EM said (except for the A/K perversity, maybe for the blooper/joke reel on DVD/Bluray), I would also do what a few others have said

for full size shots of Evas, Angels, I'd probably have to use CGI unless I shrunk down the Eva size significantly and I'm not sure that would work, but like a previous post, I'll try to get away from the Michael Bay School of Robot Combat Cinematography (yes, Evas aren't robots, but you know what I mean)

also, I'd actually make sure the size of the Evas and the surrounding environment thoroughly consistent, without any exceptions

I'd like to try and generally use as much "low tech" special effects as possible, I figure if a movie like Blade Runner and The Director's Cut of Star Trek: TMP (the 1979 film that got the Lucas treatment back in 2001 for its DVD release and IMO did it right), can hold up well today, it can happen again and give a comparably unique look to everything that's been released in recent years

I'd hope to have as large a set as I could for the Eva hangar, the Geofront, the Reiqaurium, Tokyo-3, Gendo's office, the Eva graveyard, Lilith's "hangout" (pardon the pun), etc.

speaking of which, I may want to increase the use of the almost psychedelic imagery in Gendo's office among other places, they looked pretty to me and I could attract the stoner demographic

regarding music, I'd keep most of the standard tunes, but I'd change the arrangement and timbre of some of those songs quite a bit, and add a few new songs which IMO would work better in certain scenes, and I'd further have a feature on the DVD/Bluray where you can "choose the soundtrack"

with the exception of Asuka and Keel, I'd have the rest of the cast at least look and sound "AZN", and I may have to have actors/actresses from Korea, China, The Phillipines, etc., which will make some people MAD AS HELL like what happened with Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Memoirs of a Geisha

I'd also have an insane amount of fun with the backstory, OMG would I have a ball with THIS

I'd include more detail on foreign/US involvement in the form of D/ARPA, Area 51, MIT, the CIA, the Pentagon, certain thinly-veiled contractors IRL including private intel/military firms, Russia with Spetsnaz/FSB (that along with US Delta Force and JSSDF would make the seige on NERV in EoE a great li'l action sequence) among the other last standing nations, etc., I might have Kaji become a quadruple agent whose trying to be controlled by the US intelligence/military establishment to get in on NERV and what they're all about

also, the whole SEELE story would kind of get crossed with the old school conspiracy theories of the CFR, Illuminati, Trilateral Commission, Bilderberg, Bohemian Grove, etc., with a few of the SEELE people seem awfully similar to various public figures

I would try to shoot the film on location in several key places in Japan, in particular Hakone, Kanagawa (since supposedly this is where Toyko-3 is built and some of the pics I've seen of the actual town look strikingly similar to certain scenes) as well as whatever parts of China I would be allowed to film at to get some important shots of buildings for the skyline of Tokyo-3, which would be a mix of miniatures and actual buildings sewn together by the magic of CGI

and I almost forgot, I'll have Pen^2 be 100% percent real with no CGI since there's PROOF it can be done
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Sammaeloo » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:34 pm

^ Do animals that appear as actual characters in a film appear in the credits?

I wonder what kind of penguin you would use. He looks like a maccoroni penguin but I wonder if they would be as easy to train.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:48 pm

yeah Pen² appears to based on a penguin like that (it's this one in particular IIRC) so I assume with a video like that (and there are similar ones out there on YouTube and other video sites) it can be done

and yes the animal actor gets credit, look at the animals that played Lassie, Benji, Rin Tin Tin, etc.

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:03 pm

While I question the idea of a Penguin walking around in a non freezing environment I do gotta say.....SUPERCUTE!!!

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:03 pm

Have great but yet unkown actors, suits mixed with CGI for the Eva and the Angels (I'm sucker for suit work, Hellboy 1-2 did it just fine), make it own stroy much like the Manga, and make it Rated R.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:09 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:While I question the idea of a Penguin walking around in a non freezing environment I do gotta say.....SUPERCUTE!!!
well, you have that "fridge", and I suppose as a part of the set I'd have a mini-habitat complete with a medium-to-large size water tank with a snow machine for Pen² to "chill" in

and I forgot to mention a few things

I have a few additional things I'd like to try to do with the casting

in a ridiculously ideal world, I'd like to cast father-son IRL for Gendo and Shinji, mother-daughter IRL for Yui and Rei,
SPOILER: Show
depending on how 3.0/4.0 turns out, father-son in IRL for Fuyutsuki and Kaworu, he he, or maybe Keel instead :ting:
, mother-daughter IRL for Kyoko and Asuka, mother-daughter IRL for Naoko and Ritsuko, father-daughter IRL for Akira and Misato, father-son IRL for Aoba and Toji, father-son IRL for Hyuga and Kensuke, and mother-daughter IRL for Maya and Hikari *gasp*

regarding ratings, first of all I'd have just two films, both just around two to two and a half hours, the first one would be aimed for PG-13 and the last one would be R-rated

also, I may want to change the entry plug/suit setup to something similar to what's in The Matrix

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:19 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:I'll have Pen^2 be 100% percent real with no CGI since there's PROOF it can be done

I'm sold on that idea.
:asuka_thumbsup:

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:45 pm

I think a lot of people's opinions on CG will change once Avatar comes out in December (hopefully).
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:13 pm

Uriel Septim VII wrote:I think a lot of people's opinions on CG will change once Avatar comes out in December (hopefully).

I can't wait for that movie!

My reasons for limiting CGI are not because it can look less than real (although that is an issue at times). It's mainly because of actor's reactions. Most people probably don't notice, but I've seen a decline in actor's response to special effects since they've been "added later in post".

A lot of that is the fault of the director for not being aware of what needs to be told to the actor now that a "cast member" is literally missing from the set.

That's why I only mention live action models for the Evas when an actor was to interact with them some how. ESPECIALLY if the main characters are children! They need the support of an actual working effect on set. That's the main reason a CGI Pen^2 would fail.

Now, I'm not worried about James Cameron's Avatar. That man knows how to direct his CGI. :thumbsup:
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:16 pm

I have to say it's definitely improved from this crappy movie

probably Zemeckis' last two films have shown how far it's come

still, it's yet to be as easy on the eyes

pmkava
Adam

Postby pmkava » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:58 pm

if done right CG can look really good. Davy Jones in Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 was done with CG and motion capture, and lots of people thought it was done with make-up effects.

now one topic, if i directed it i would push LAME away from the source material maybe even as different from the Original series as rebuild 2.0 is. I would do the international cast and may change names but i would more likely add parts explaining the formation of an emerging global culture (i.e. Firefly / Serenity with the mixed Chinese and American culture) Possible have new angels and new ending. i would push the envelope of what people expect, although i would have the characters personalities be the same and they would develop close to how they would in the series.

bottom line, i would make evangelion new and exciting all over again
hurm. Meeting with Kaworu Nagisa left bad taste in mouth. Possible Homosexual? must remember to investigate further.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:40 pm

I don't like CGI most of the time since it can be really cheap depending on how it use. I always like suits better since I grew up watching old monster movies and Hellboy movies did a great job on it.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”