[LAEM] How would YOU do it?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:36 pm

OK, since everyone else is doing it, I think I I'll add my 2¢.

1) It would be largely filmed on green screens and partial sets. The city would be accomplished through use of large scale miniatures (aka "Bigatures" as Weta calls them), perhaps superimposed onto real geographical locations.

2) The location would no longer be Tokyo 3. I'm not sure I'd want to move the story to an American city like LA, but I might. At the least I'd probably move it to a Mediterranean country like Turkey, and have "Neo City" set up by the UN in the wake of the world's costal cities being flooded, which means that the political scene would be fairly unusual, and it would essentially be a hodgepodge of various cultures from around the world converging into one economic nucleus.

3) The Evangelions would be CG. I'm not going to try and kid myself into thinking that they could pull them off convincingly with lanky contortionists in costumes or animatronics. Maybe there'd be one full-scale model of Unit 01's head and / or feet for the actors to interact with on set, but that would be pretty much all in terms of physical Evangelions. Every other time you see the Evas they would be CG (as in, 90% of when you see them), since we easily have the technology to make them look convincing.

4) I know that this isn't a terribly popular opinion amongst fans, but I'd make the pilots slightly older (15-going-on-16-ish) and cast 18-25 year old actors. I've explained my reasons before, but to sum up, it would remove the hassles involved with working with child actors, better selection pool, and less controversy around the plug suits. Also, no problems with :misato_service:

5) Hugh Laurie as Gendo. 'nuff said.

6) I'd do it as a trilogy. First movie would introduce the characters (including Asuka, unlike Rebuild), the second would explore their relationships and end with Shinji being absorbed into Unit 01, and the third would feature Shinji's return, the characters being depressed, third impact. I'm not sure how much it would divert from the source in terms of how the last movie plays out. Maybe after I see the rest of the Rebuilds I'll have a better idea of how I'd like it to end, but for now we'll say it would be similar to the show's ending except much more condensed, and with a bit more resolution.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:39 pm

I would just do one movie since I feel the series is just one stroy then a series of bunch of stories. I would just keep it in Tokyo 3 also since their not too many american movies that take place in Japan.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:39 am

There's not really time in one movie of 2 or 2 and a half hours to cover a series that was like, what... ten hours when you factor in EoE (the episodes only had twenty minute run times w/o commercials, opening, and ending, right?). Three movies adding up to some amount of time between six and eight and a half hours can get the majority in and dump the weaker moments of the series (Goodbye Jet Alone, Sandalphon. We hardly knew ye and we won't miss you.). Hell, four movies would be preferable.

For people talking about moving Tokyo-3 and focusing on political situations and stuff, I can't imagine how you'd fit that in between relationship developments and Angel battles, especially with a time constraint.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:12 am

^sorry but I respectfully disagree

there's a lot of filler in the TV series, frankly around half of the angel battles went too long IMO

and sure that time often helps build suspense, furthers the plot and character development along, and has some thrilling moments, but a lot of it was to simply fill time for the show's 26-episode run

i.e. remember the increasing reuse of all sorts of shots and sequences especially from episode 16 or so to EoTV, I mean couldn't you have edited down the last eight or nine episodes down to just two or three and accomplished the same?

as for the political angle, it doesn't have to be a long and super thorough exposition, just pepper it with certain allusions when SEELE is around or being discussed in a hushed tone by Commander Ikari with Fuyutsuki or some of his subordinates

it would help engage an audience in a better way IMO than the show did, not to mention we'd be dealing with an audience outside of anime and Japan and bringing up some more familar things to the audience without watering down the premise is going to be crucial to who(m)ever would actually want to make this remotely successful

I admit it would be a moderate risk to "speed up and edit down" Evangelion like I have lined out

however I think in a live action environment, there are things that really wouldn't transfer pleasantly from the anime, yet IMO that doesn't have to be a negative and can become a positive as the main story points of characters and their relationship development (or dissolution as the case may be) are almost exclusively followed with the appropriate moments of comic relief and no filler
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Captain_Morgan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:19 am

I don't see why everyone seems to think having the EVAs be CG as a bad thing. Hell, have Weta do the CG, with real actors doing the MoCap and it'll look pretty good.

I'm with Timstuff on the whole greens screen and partial set thing (Zodiac did this fairly well IMO). Also, the use of large scale miniatures would be used appropriately.

I don't know about moving it from Japan, but the cast should definitely be multicultural. So a studio would actually fund it, Shinji will most likel have to be at least part-white. This would also allow Hugh to be Gendo, which would be awesome. Hell, get Liam Neeson ad a Fyutsuki character.

Again, Timstuff is right about the raising of the pilot's ages with young adult actors in the roles. Besides the legal issues, it could make the shipping that I would have to do be a bit more meaningful than just a 14 y.o.'s crush.

Doing it all in one movie would be insane and a terrible idea. A trilogy or Quadrilogy would be best for character development and whathaveyou.

First movie would have to focus on the relationship between himself and Misato, and would of course have to come to a climax with the fight against Ramiel. Asuka would be introduced near the end in a way similar to the manga, rather than actually showing her fight.

2nd would of course focus on the relationships between Shinji, Asuka and Rei. Most things would appear to be well until the fight with Bardiel which would result in Toji's death, about 3/4 of the way through the movie. Zer comes around and f's things up further. Kaworu could be introduced early on as a classmate, who Shinji confides in while waiting in the shelter during the Zer fight...though there would still have to be Kaji and his melons. Shinji saves the day and is liquefied.

3rd has Kaworu brought on as the 5th child and the attempts to bring Shinji back. Goes all psychological and whatnot. Shinji comes back and Asuka's mind is raped. She is unable to pilot when Armisael comes around, so Kaworu pilots Unit 02. Rei II is killed and Kaworu ends up saving Shinji during the fight. They grow closer and Asuka drifts farther away until ZOMG Kaworu's an angel. He and Shinji fight, Shinji wins. Shinji finally visits Asuka who is now in her semi-catatonic state. He confesses that he loves her and that he's sorry for not being there, etc. Asuka whispers that she hates him, leaving Shinji crushed. We are left with Shinji, broken and alone.

And the fourth movie would basically be EoE, sans jerk-off scene.

Various things that weren't necessarily important would be cut, along with some of the less entertaining/important angels.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:48 am

Legendary wrote:For people talking about moving Tokyo-3 and focusing on political situations and stuff, I can't imagine how you'd fit that in between relationship developments and Angel battles, especially with a time constraint.

Anything political would be going on in the background. Believe me, if there's anyone who is easily bored by long political discussions set in imaginary worlds, it's me, but I do think it's good when writers think through the politics of their story's world, and allow the audience to read into it if they pay attention. However, I do think that setting it in Tokyo could potentially cause a lot of problems not only in terms of making it accessible to the west, but also from a procuction standpoint.

The only real way I could see it working out would be if in the wake of Second Impact, Tokyo 3 became the world's economic and cultural nucleus, and people from all over the world migrated to it. I might be able to suspend my disbelief if they do it well enough, but Japan is just about the last country of the free world that I could imagine as a cultural melting pot.

As much as some fans cringe at the idea of Evangelion's story being re-located, I don't really think it'd be a big deal. The story is one that transcends culture which is why it has managed to get a fanbase in the West. There are some noticeable cultural differences in Evangelion that would be different in an "Americanized" Evangelion (especially visible in things like the school scenes, and how Misato's home is set up), but these are not the things that make Evangelion what it is. It's always been about the characters and the drama, and I don't think it would lose its identity in moving from east to west.

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:46 am

Timstuff wrote:1) It would be largely filmed on green screens and partial sets. The city would be accomplished through use of large scale miniatures (aka "Bigatures" as Weta calls them), perhaps superimposed onto real geographical locations.

2) The location would no longer be Tokyo 3. I'm not sure I'd want to move the story to an American city like LA, but I might. At the least I'd probably move it to a Mediterranean country like Turkey, and have "Neo City" set up by the UN in the wake of the world's costal cities being flooded, which means that the political scene would be fairly unusual, and it would essentially be a hodgepodge of various cultures from around the world converging into one economic nucleus.

3) The Evangelions would be CG. I'm not going to try and kid myself into thinking that they could pull them off convincingly with lanky contortionists in costumes or animatronics. Maybe there'd be one full-scale model of Unit 01's head and / or feet for the actors to interact with on set, but that would be pretty much all in terms of physical Evangelions. Every other time you see the Evas they would be CG (as in, 90% of when you see them), since we easily have the technology to make them look convincing.

4) I know that this isn't a terribly popular opinion amongst fans, but I'd make the pilots slightly older (15-going-on-16-ish) and cast 18-25 year old actors. I've explained my reasons before, but to sum up, it would remove the hassles involved with working with child actors, better selection pool, and less controversy around the plug suits. Also, no problems with :misato_service:

5) Hugh Laurie as Gendo. 'nuff said.

1) Yep, sounds most logical.

2) That's actually interesting... I'd never thought of something like that before... I mean, I'd never really stopped to wonder why a UN stronghold against Angels was located in Japan...

3) Yeah, CG is actually pretty awesome these days. The first Transformers was really epic for that. I heard the second one was lousy though. Another good example of CG is Final Fantasy VII Advent Children.

4) Indeed. Wait a minute... I COULD BE Shinji! :D Thank yoooou! (I also do a damn good Spike Spencer impersonation...)

5) YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! :D :devil: Seriously, that is THE best Gendo Ikari suggestion in the world! Think of all the HOUSE fans we could get to see it!
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:08 pm

There's not really time in one movie of 2 or 2 and a half hours to cover a series that was like

I think it can work if they did with the Manga mixed with a few episodes of the anime. A three hour movie would work and if the studio wants to cut it down then their will be a three hour DC DVD. I think a movie based on the Manga or it own stroy will work.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:57 pm

Timstuff wrote:However, I do think that setting it in Tokyo could potentially cause a lot of problems not only in terms of making it accessible to the west, but also from a procuction standpoint.

Why? You already plan on making a city that's all models and CGI. Eva has very little Japanese cultural stuff, and none of it is integral to the plot. Eva is one of the few anime my father has watched, and he got into it just fine despite lacking any knowledge of Japanese culture (and having difficulty getting into shows with excessive foreign cultural elements because they're hard to understand at first).

Guyver Spawn wrote:I think it can work if they did with the Manga mixed with a few episodes of the anime. A three hour movie would work and if the studio wants to cut it down then their will be a three hour DC DVD. I think a movie based on the Manga or it own stroy will work.

Okay, break it down minute by minute. Trust me though, it's gonna be awfully cramped and feel awfully rushed.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:33 pm

What I'm saying is that you'd end up having to change Tokyo 3's identity so much that you might as well just set it somewhere else. The movie will almost certainly have an international / multiethnic cast and be filmed in English. You'd have to explain to the audience why Tokyo 3 doesn't really seem like Japan, and why everyone there can speak the same language.

Basically, my attitude towards it is "what's in a name?" Whether you set Evangelion in Tokyo, London, or Los Angelis it's still going to be pretty much the same, but if you were to set it in Tokyo then it becomes less believable. My attitude is that I would rather they just be up front about it and set the movie in an English-speaking country, rather than try and sell us the concept of an "Americanized" version of Tokyo just so they can keep the city's name from the original.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:20 pm

I've decided to write a script for LA Evangelion just for shits and giggles. If I ever progress to be a filmmaker, I may use it one day, if not for an official movie, for a independent movie that would be free.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:58 am

I've got one that I'm writing for giggles, as well. I've got a loose treatment for the trilogy outline done, and now I'm working on making a detailed outline for the first movie. Technically I'm on my second draft, although when it's done I'd like to try tightening things up further before I actually start on the script writing, which is where the real fun begins.

Anyway, an idea that I've been toying with for the third movie for quite a while, and I was surprised when I saw that Rebuild is likely taking a similar direction, is to hint at a re-take scenario being at play. Basically, it would be hinted at that the reality of the movie trilogy is the result of Shinji changing the world at the end of the original series, and the differences from the anime are a result of Shinji trying to set up a better life for himself. However, Shinji has a very human perception of perfection (read: flawed), so his life still ends up being screwed up, and third impact still happens-- I was even thinking there'd be a moment during third impact where Shinji appears as his anime counterpart in all his cell-animated glory, as a means of mirroring the live action sequence from EoE and hinting at the connection with the original anime series.

Ultimately though, in the live action version Shinji decides that he will accept the consequences of his actions and do his best to fix the life the old fashioned way-- dealing with it. That would make LAEM be a "requel" in a way, sort of like how Rebuild and Star Trek 11 are. Shinji taking a slightly more willing approach to making peace with his inner conflict would make sense to series vets within the context that this is his second (or possibly billionth) time around, and that he's grown somewhat in maturity by now (as would the fact that he'd inevitably be older than his anime counterpart by the time third impact happens). Ultimately he'd end up on the beach with Asuka, although I've got a special twist in mind for that too.

So basically, during 3I as it last happened (probably EoTV) Shinji thought "maybe my life wouldn't suck so bad if I was a year and a half older and living in America." Perhaps a bit convenient, sure, but so was Nero spinning Kirk and Spock into an alternate timeline where Kirk earns his command in his early 20's. ;)

TheLobe
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby TheLobe » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:04 am

I get a strong impression that if LAEM is ever made, we'll all be disappointed. I mean, they'll CHANGE stuff, which will ruin the carefully constructed trees of implied meanings.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:27 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Just want to say glad no one here is directing live action Eva. It all sounds very.... tired. Been there. Done that.

You're breaking my balls, man. You're breaking my balls!

I sort of get the feeling that people are too preoccupied with staying true to the story of the original, when staying true to the general spirit is the really important thing. Story and other things can be reworked like nobody's business. Be creative, folks; a tale is more malleable than you might think, though it does boil down to a certain essence, and that's what you want to keep.

Timstuff wrote:It's always been about the characters and the drama, and I don't think it would lose its identity in moving from east to west.

The deeply entrenched Japanese aspects of the production probably fly right past the majority of gaijin viewers because they're not Japanese and because these aspects don't involve the really obvious things you see a zillion other anime (kimono, matsuri, jumping koi...). I can't tell you about most of these because I'm a baka-gaijin myself.

For fans like us, it's sort of an "ignorance is bliss" kind of thing, I suppose. "If you don't know about it, you won't know what's missing. And if you never lived in Japan, you won't care anyway."

TheLobe wrote:I mean, they'll CHANGE stuff, which will ruin the carefully constructed trees of implied meanings.

Change one thing, and just make up for it somewhere else. NGE was never exactly a flawless work of construction in the first place; fans just kind of accept those flaws due to the strengths that exist. A script isn't a delicate little flower, and if you have a direction you want to take something (a "vision", as it were), without the tampering hand of some awful committee...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:02 pm

I was thinking earlier today... In LAEM, should Asuka speak with a German accent, or not? I'm on the fence about it, because I could see why it would be beneficial to her character and reminding the audience that she's "the foreign chick," but at the same time an accent has never been a part of her identity before, so it'd take a lot of getting used to.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:57 pm

Having lived in Germany for 5 years of my life, I'd say no. Children who grow up raised to be bilingual tend to very good at preventing accents. I dated a girl for 18 months who seriously, raised in Germany all her life, spoke German as a first language but when she spoke English with me I felt like I was with a girl from the dead center of the States (she spent 3 years in Colorado as a kid).

90% of the time a movie accent is a tired device.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:20 pm

OK, no accent then. :thumbsup:

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:34 pm

backseatjesus wrote:I've decided to write a script for LA Evangelion just for shits and giggles. If I ever progress to be a filmmaker, I may use it one day, if not for an official movie, for a independent movie that would be free.

If you actually get to makin' an Eva movie you have my assistance! I know how to work a camera and I could help with storyboarding! :thumbsup:

i_Love_Asuka
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby i_Love_Asuka » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:37 am

BrikHaus wrote:
soljerameelguy wrote:I Wouldnt make a live action NGE movie at all...unless michael bay and spielberg and the dude from LOTR did it.

It sounds like you want the movie to be a piece of shit.

sorry i throw this in here again but i read it on the first page and i thought of something, (yeah, sometimes i think 'bout something else than Asuka)

maybe, but just maybe, and if there will be created a Live Action movie of NGE then they schould hire Stephen King to direct the story and atmosphere! and Michael Bay to direct the special effects and stuff, and we need Steven Spielberg to! not to direct something, but he has lotsiez of money and when we put his name on the cover then we can get whole hollywood to use for the production!

in short:
Stephen King=story and atmosphere,
Michael Bay=special effects and computer stuff... and stuff...
Steven Spielberg=Money and attention!

you guys agree?
"My awesome awesomness is so awesome that no other awesome awesomness in the entire awesome universe of awesome awesomness is that awesome!" - the guy who said it (i was)
"when i ask my girlfriend to act and behave more like Asuka, and she slaps me in the face, does that mean she agrees?" - I_Love_Asuka
"I'm here to love my Asuka and kick ass! and i'm all out of ass..." - rip off of LittleKuriboh
"For someone called "i_Love_Asuka" your pretty hard core" - Defectron
"sorry, i prefer i_Love_Asuka, he's a real man!" - Soljer13

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:44 am

^win.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”