Wevangeliwon aims for G rating?! (APRIL FOOLS JOKE)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Wevangeliwon aims for G rating?! (APRIL FOOLS JOKE)

Postby NAveryW » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:30 am

EDIT: Yes, this was an April fools joke. I apologize to those of you whose hearts I shattered... I expected it to be rather obviously a joke, but then again not everyone treats April 1st as a holiday as I do.

Anime News World - March 29, 2007 wrote: New Scoop on 'Rebuild'

When he said that he was going for a completely different angle this round, director Hideaki Anno really meant it. Studio Khara, the company behind Evangelion's new movie series, has leaked a new fact that may come as a shock to some fans: they're aiming for a "G" rating.

"I believe that Evangelion's message is one that should be conveyed to people of any age, and making Rebuild more accessible to as wide an audience as possible is, in my opinion, the best way to convey that message," Anno stated. "The drama that the previous series was known for will still be there, as will the psychological tension. However, I do not think it needs to be excessively violent or have gratuitous nudity to be effective. The previous movie, End of Evangelion, was very dark, violent, and shocking, and I'd like to go the other direction this time."

Japan's ratings system is somewhat similar to that of the United States: its ratings are G, PG, PG-12 (compare to America's PG-13), R-15 (America's R), and R-18 (America's NC-17). The previous movies, Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion, were not given official ratings. The television version, however, was PG-12.

I'm not sure what to think of this. I keep feeling like this may ruin it... I don't mind taking it in a different direction, but if you completely invert the show's themes, it becomes the opposite of what it was. And if the show was great, it's the opposite of great. Ah well, I still have hope.
Last edited by NAveryW on Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:53 am

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!

Does G rating allow obscene amounts of blood?
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:30 am

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby TriLink » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:37 am

Not really surprising news here, and to be honest, I'm rather encouraged by it. A G-Rating forces the writers to focus more on the story/character development, and less on how many nude Rei's they can fit into one tank.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:34 am

Sounds like an April Fools joke to me.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Postby jcmoorehead » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:34 am

TriLink12 wrote:Not really surprising news here, and to be honest, I'm rather encouraged by it. A G-Rating forces the writers to focus more on the story/character development, and less on how many nude Rei's they can fit into one tank.

Exactly, lets not pre-judge it just because of the rating. It doesnt need to be Ages 15 and up just for it to be good.

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby fadingreminder » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:10 am

I can't imagine, with a rating like that, the battle between Unit-01 and Sachiel... or the battle with Bardiel... or anything really. I know this is going to be completely different and all, but how can you show battle scenes of Evas killing Angels and get a G? Battle offscreen?

I also can't imagine the psychological element. Are they going to just not deal with all the sexual tensions and take out the Kaji/Asuka radical? Jeez, are they going to reduce Gendo to a villain along the lines of Disney terms?

I don't know... I don't know how I feel about all of this. They may be able to pull it off, but I can't see how... Most of this series must be the "high school drama" stuff.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:04 am

Please say it isn't true... please say it isn't true... :cry:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:19 am

I'll wait for Japanese SAUCE.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:36 am

NAveryW, could you provide a link to where you got this info, I can't find it.

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:39 am

Anyone who says Eva would be find G rated must have enjoyed it for reasons that didn't even register with me. I mean without the violence, disturbing psychological imagery and dark plot there is...? Those things are pretty much what made Evangelion popular in the first place.

So yeah, in before "April Fools lol" revelation.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Szmitten » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:22 pm

Well, considering the fact that there is no such thing as "Anime News World"...

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:02 pm

Apiru Furu!

Well, it wouldn't bother oh so much. It would truely be a 180 from EOE. But seeing how this non-existant place made this comment 3 days ago and it only appears on this site TODAY makes me iffy.

Perhaps the real surprise is REBUILD is actually that cutesy chibi pumpkin panties Eva-thing.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:03 pm

plus lacking a weblink is suspicious too.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:52 pm

Good joke. :lol:

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby fadingreminder » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:00 pm

I'm feeling very gullible right now :?

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:23 pm

Until this is confirmed as truth or April Fools, I won't comment any further on this.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby TriLink » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:30 pm

ThroneofDravaris wrote:Anyone who says Eva would be find G rated must have enjoyed it for reasons that didn't even register with me. I mean without the violence, disturbing psychological imagery and dark plot there is...? Those things are pretty much what made Evangelion popular in the first place.

Whose to say EVA can't still have those things? Keep in mind, we're talking about the crazy Japanese here. What passes for G in Japan would probably translate to somewhere between PG and PG-13 here in the states. I suspect (if this is true), that you'll all still get your blood. But if your looking for Asuka to attempt suicide naked in a bath tub, you may be SOL. :(

So yeah, in before "April Fools lol" revelation.

I dunno...

SURELY, if this was a joke, NAveryW could of come up with something that would enrage us far more than this. In my case, a confirmation of Fem-Kaworu would have done the trick.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Jobhug
Adam

Postby Jobhug » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:38 pm

And we better get rid of the giant brightly coloured monsters, they might scare children whose parents have good money.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:41 pm

TriLink12 wrote:SURELY, if this was a joke, NAveryW could of come up with something that would enrage us far more than this. In my case, a confirmation of Fem-Kaworu would have done the trick.

If a Non-Believer had used f-K for some elaborate AFJ, I would have been the first at ver throat.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”