the 'Original' Live Action Sequence

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
kosure
Adam

the 'Original' Live Action Sequence

•      
  •      

Postby kosure » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:09 pm

In an effort to be current I've decided to open a thread on the 'Original' Live action sequence for EoE. What do people think? How else do you think a world without Shinji would work? And questions or comments about the thing itself?

I personally think its interesting that NERV, doesn't seem to exist at all in Shinji's "dream". I think that goes a long way to develop Shinji's charachter more. Or at least to make the idea that relationships are the only thing that matters to him more concrete. (a very post-structuralist point of view, but I digress)
i think cosplay is a lot like communism, it seems like a good idea, but it never turns out the way you want.
Star Wars: The Ultimate Guide

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: the 'Original' Live Action Sequence

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:12 am

I think the L.A. Sequence is a facinating curiousity, but I'm not surprised that Anno decided to drop it. I suspect that he probably determined that it was just to much of a leap for the audience to somehow connect the problems of a live-action, 26 year old, Japanese OL who happens to be named Asuka with an animated, red-haired, 14 year old German Eva pilot... I think the situation depicted in the sequence was just too different from the "real" Eva world to work.

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

Re: the 'Original' Live Action Sequence

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:52 pm

I agree, it would have been to much of a leap. Personally I would have been slightly confused or baffled if they had used it during EoE.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:51 pm

I think a live action sequence with a sense of realism would be more appropriate. If you remove Shinji, Nerv, and the Angels from the reality of Evangelion, you wouldn't get the world depicted in this sequence. This is more fantasy than reality. I think that a more accurate depiction of the world of Evangelion without Shinji and so forth would have been an excellent addition. If you are to remove someone from a story, you need to compensate accordingly, showing how that world would have been without him. Not to mention that people don't fantasize about things they don't exist in.

In short, this would have been a much better addition had it shown the viewer how life WOULD have been without Shinji, Nerv, and the Angels.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”