Star Wars

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Star Wars

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:15 am

Well, JJ let a bunch of 9/11 Truthers wirte about a franchise of which he was mostly ignorant for Into Darkness. It went about as well as could be expected. :irked:

EDIT:
View Original PostChuckman wrote:Jaws is actually Spielberg's masterpiece, imo. There are hints of the "replace guns with walkie talkies in re-releases of ET" Spielberg emerging in Jurassic Park and how it becomes toothless by ignoring all of Crichton's social commentary and wariness of technology.

I agree there. As far as Spielberg's monster movies go, Jaws probably the best. It's been a while since I've seen Jaws, so I'll have to watch both and compare.

I wonder if "replace guns with walkie talkies" could be better summed up with the "cut to prairie dogs during murder" in Indy 4.

Also, I wonder if the 4K release for ET will include the original version.

DarkBluePhoenix
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:17 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I'd have to agree with that since ST in to darkness was him trying to be bold and dark but it just didn't pan out in my view.

It's because he took the best ST film - Wrath of Khan - and made a very visually striking film, but it was too similar to the original (warp drive needs fixing, fighting a federation ship, the Enterprise gets messed up, and Kirk learns that are no win solutions, and someone shouts "KHHHHAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!" really loudly. JJ also left his usual massive plot holes of transwarp beaming open and the super augment blood Khan and his compatriots carry being able to cure deadness and whatnot.

Also, I'm not missing the irony of talking about Star Trek in a Star Wars thread... something, something, disturbance in the force.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

FrDougal9000
Lilith

Postby FrDougal9000 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:49 pm

DarkBluePhoenix wrote:It's because he took the best ST film - Wrath of Khan - and made a very visually striking film...

Well, the obnoxiously bright lens flares were certainly striking, if that's what you mean.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist, but I am genuinely curious as to what parts of Into Darkness were visually striking - I remember the storyboarding being very mediocre and the camera constantly rotating/panning/tracking like it was a randomized pan-and-zoom setting in Windows Movie Maker. There may have been other shots that were interesting, but I legitimately don't remember.)
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

DarkBluePhoenix
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:02 pm

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:Well, the obnoxiously bright lens flares were certainly striking, if that's what you mean.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist, but I am genuinely curious as to what parts of Into Darkness were visually striking - I remember the storyboarding being very mediocre and the camera constantly rotating/panning/tracking like it was a randomized pan-and-zoom setting in Windows Movie Maker. There may have been other shots that were interesting, but I legitimately don't remember.)

No, the lens flare was just fucking annoying. Thankfully, JJ toned that shit down for TFA, but still left enough there to remind us he'd directed the damn thing.

As for the striking scenes - the entire crash landing sequence with the Vengeance and the sequence at the beginning with the ship (quite unnecessarily) in launching from the ocean. Also the space HELO scene where Kirk and Khan fly through the debris field was pretty well done.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Joseki
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Joseki » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:31 pm

Episode 8 is now completed.

Just a few more months to wait. ^_^
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

29/07/2017

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Mark Hamill posted and has since removed a tweet teasing that the trailer will be dropped Oct 9th during Monday night football.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

DarkBluePhoenix
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:35 pm

What, Disney is skimping on advertising?

silvermoonlight
Leliel
Leliel

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:58 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:What, Disney is skimping on advertising?

Yeah that kind of weird since there not broke and can splash out on advertising. :irked:
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Because Star War is the ONE brand where the name speaks for itself. Any Star Wars film is gonna make money purely on the brand name alone, so they can afford to be a little bit lax.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:37 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:What, Disney is skimping on advertising?

Whatever do you mean? Monday night football was exactly when the trailer for TFA was dropped. They're doing the same thing.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Remember, Mark Hammill said "Do not watch the trailer unless you want a key plot point of the film spoiled for you".
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Joseki
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Joseki » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:02 pm

It will be hard to not watch it. It's surely going to pop up over the internet as an ad and be on TV 24h/24 7d/7. :rolleyes:
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

29/07/2017

DarkBluePhoenix
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:43 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Whatever do you mean? Monday night football was exactly when the trailer for TFA was dropped. They're doing the same thing.

Sunday Night Football is seeing a ratings hike, while other time slots see a decline. That's why I said what I said - with slipping ratings, advertising will be cheaper, and its not a new trend. And the mix of Star Wars and football seem odd to me, almost like oil and water. I had roommates in college who knew nothing about sports, and I had to explain football to them using Pokémon as an analogy, which somehow worked.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:59 pm

I imagine the majority of people watch the trailer online anyways. Sports is one of the few reasons to pay for television service these days. Dropping the trailer for sports fans seems like their way to maximize on viewership, but still secondary next to something like Youtube ads. Since online marketing may take priority over television marketing, perhaps they weren't bothered to switch football nights or maybe they considered the differences to negligible.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:20 am

Rian Johnson has announced post-production on Ep VIII is wrapped; the movie is complete.

I just want to emphasize once again how amazingly smooth Johnson's production of Ep VIII has gone. JJ was in post-production with VII up until the same month as release; Johnson is done literally months in advance. We've heard concerning news about every director to touch the new Star Wars except Johnson. Han Solo directors fired and replaced three months into filming (although Ron Howard seems to be doing a great job so far), Ep IX director has stepped down, Boba Fett director stepped down and idea scrapped, Rogue One had some issues which needed reshooting. Even JJ clashed with Kathleen Kennedy a bit about VII. However there has not been a word of controversy about Ep VIII's production, except for perhaps Carrie Fisher's passing, which has nothing to do with the director.

I cannot wait for this movie.

Also, the trailer is pretty much all but confirmed for Oct 9th. Stay tuned for that.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:46 pm

I swear to God if this movie is just a rehash of EST I will watch it anyway and then probably buy it on digital video and eat sno caps in the theater.

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

Postby movieartman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:07 pm

New Trailer is here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CbN8sfihY
:emogendo:
Kinda Spoilery...

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:20 pm

SPOILER: Show
Finn versus Phasma, yass! Rey joining Kylo? Intriguing! I can't wait. The hype train starts.

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:07 pm

That is certainly a Star War.

I'm indifferent on this series (Look at all that red) as a whole BUT Rian Johnson is by far the best filmmaker and storyteller to ever tackle a movie in this universe (I like Red) so if any Star Wars movie could actually live up to the hype of actually being great (Like I like Red a lot!) - instead of just merely good - it will be this one. So color me (RED!) impressed & interested.

Zeruss
Adam

Postby Zeruss » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:29 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:RED!

SPOILER: Show

Loved the trailer; completely enthralled by the tone and -of course- the color palette which I found gorgeous (and I adore the bizarre penguin things and those crystal foxes; they both kinda look like pokemon, so that's great)--I'm also glad we'll finally get to properly see Mark Hamill again :nyao:
I am, indeed, quite hyped for this film~♡
I'm a lurker at heart.

Return to “Film and Video”