EoE Ritsuko's Last Scene: Gendo's Unheard Line

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

EoE Ritsuko's Last Scene: Gendo's Unheard Line

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:35 pm

As you all remember, in the finall moments of Ritsuko's lfe, Gendo says something but, it is unable to be heard. I've always wanted to discuss the many possibilites of what could have been said. I think one of the strongest theories is that it had something to do with the realtionship between Gendo and Ritsuko. But for some reason I feel that there was something more to that statement then Gendo saying something shocking involving love. I could be wrong, but this is up in the air still. Any other ideas?

Treeves056
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Treeves056 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:42 pm

A) Speculation abounds over what Gendo's last words to Ritsuko were - and there's simply no answer. In the original story boards, Gendo's line is supposed to be covered by the sound of an explosion (from the battle raging in NERV). While the explosion sound was eventually scrapped, Anno ensured that Gendo's line indeed drops out so that we cannot hear it.

Yuriko Yamaguchi, Ritsuko's Japanese voice actress, too wondered what Gendo had told Ritsuko. But for her, it was a more personal question - because what Gendo told Risuko would directly dictate how the response, "Liar." was delivered. In the Red Cross Book (seiyuu section), Yamaguchi writes:

Ritsuko fades away with her final word, "Liar."
But what was this "Liar" in reference to? The script for this last scene only has Gendo saying:
"Ritsuko Akagi, I truly...." followed by Ritsuko saying: "Liar (gets shot)". I can imagine many
words that might follow "I truly....", but I can't decide on any in particular. That is the complexity
of Gendou and Ritsuko's relationship.

From Ritsuko Akagi's inner feelings as a scientist, she could be considered a woman who blindly
gave her love to Gendou Ikari, and also a foolish woman that walked the same path as her mother
Naoko who committed suicide after being betrayed by Ikari. I personally wanted her to end as a
convenient, submissive woman who simply wanted to die righteously. But in the previous movie
(D&R) she ended as a deeply jealous woman filled with nothing but hatred toward Ikari.

Feeling unsatisfied with this, I looked for a way to accept her death at the hands of Ikari.
This made the interpretation of "Liar" very important. But the voice-over grew nearer and nearer....

Director Anno must have noticed how I felt. When it came time to do the voice-over, he showed me
a single, hidden hint at the last moment. With that one incredible hint, I, and Ritsuko Akagi, were
utterly defeated. It hardly needs saying, but Director Anno is incredible. Truly awesome -- a genius.

So Gendo does indeed have a line there. Gendo did tell Ritsuko something, it's not simply a matter of Anno trying to be clever or leave the audience wondering. What could Gendo have said? Many of theorized it was simply, "I love/loved you." - but that seems too clean and simple, too trite, for Anno to make such a big deal about protecting the secret. Love is the obvious answer - and Gendo was never obvious.

Personally, I'm content in believing Gendo said, "Ritsuko Akagi, I truly... needed you."

Its from evaotaku.com hope it helpes you out

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:16 pm

I've seen it, I was hoping for some other and new ideas and discussion, not just a simple answer.....

Treeves056
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Treeves056 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:30 pm

oh...sorry :oops: well in that case I think he some what made fun of her or said she was useless

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:39 pm

cain luppus wrote:I've seen it, I was hoping for some other and new ideas and discussion, not just a simple answer.....

There aren't any new ideas, this has been discussed to death already.

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:42 pm

coff wrote:
cain luppus wrote:I've seen it, I was hoping for some other and new ideas and discussion, not just a simple answer.....

There aren't any new ideas, this has been discussed to death already.

Party pooper.... : P

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:06 pm

Apparently, Shin-Seiki over at the Anime Nation forum has a ground shattering new theory about this. Perhaps he'll come out with it soon and shed some light on this.

As for me...

Ritsuko was supposedly very much against relationships, she even says that they are illogical. So some believe her love affair with him was simply for sexual gratification. I think it would be fitting that she would actually fall in love with Gendo in the process, hence her intense jealousy and anger towards him towards the end of the series. His line, in my opinion has more to do with that than anything else. I doubt Gendo said he loved her. His love for Yui was supposed to be profound. He manipulates people, he manipulated her though the act of sex. I believe what he said had to do with needing her (as stated by Eva Otaku), or perhaps, similarly:

"Ritsuko Akagi, I truly am sorry."

Though he manipulated her for his own means, he felt guilt, and wanted to express that, in much the same way that he expressed his guilt over neglecting Shinji.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:47 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Apparently, Shin-Seiki over at the Anime Nation forum has a ground shattering new theory about this. Perhaps he'll come out with it soon and shed some light on this.

It might be beneficial to actually drop him a line about it... The only that's really been preventing him from unveiling his theory is laziness, really. ;)

I have an idea about what Gendou says, but, unfortunately, I can't tell anyone what it is. >argh<

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:28 am

I believe too that Gendo says "Ritsuko Akagi, I truly am sorry." or something like this.

Reichu wrote:
I have an idea about what Gendou says, but, unfortunately, I can't tell anyone what it is. >argh<

Why can't you tell it?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:35 am

the_seventh_child wrote:Why can't you tell it?

Because it doesn't make any sense unless you know Shin-seiki's theory about what really happened to Ritsuko in episode #23. I only know his theory because I helped him with it (by looking into the nuances of the original Japanese dialogues and such), but I'm not supposed to let it leak until he makes the actual thread over at ANF.

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:50 am

Thanks Reichu for all this info. Now I'm glad that I made this thread. : )

kosure
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby kosure » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:57 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Though he manipulated her for his own means, he felt guilt, and wanted to express that, in much the same way that he expressed his guilt over neglecting Shinji.

Theres an interesting thought. Something that never crossed my mind before. (maybe beacuse im stupid) But that Gendou said, "Im sorry," or "I needed you" and meant it. I mean, I know he did really need, her, and he probablly was sorry. But I never imagined that Gendou would just break down like that, and be honest and straightforward with his feelings. But then again, it is the End, and he knows it.
i think cosplay is a lot like communism, it seems like a good idea, but it never turns out the way you want.
Star Wars: The Ultimate Guide

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:23 am

cain luppus wrote:Thanks Reichu for all this info. Now I'm glad that I made this thread. : )

I'm sorry that I can't really say much at this point. It's tough keeping my mouth shut, because this theory really DOES make you smack your head and wonder, "Now why the hell didn't I think of that? It all makes sense now!"

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:47 pm

Reichu wrote:
cain luppus wrote:Thanks Reichu for all this info. Now I'm glad that I made this thread. : )

I'm sorry that I can't really say much at this point. It's tough keeping my mouth shut, because this theory really DOES make you smack your head and wonder, "Now why the hell didn't I think of that? It all makes sense now!"

Say it dammit SAY IT !!! ARGHHHHH !!!!!!
*insert cool signature here*

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:46 pm

The truth is we will never know what anno wrote on that post it and showed to Ritsuko's voice actress. SO it boiles down to this.

What ever those words were they're not important, but their effect on the good doctor is.

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

I know what he said!

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:30 pm

"Akagi...you where never any good in bed."

"Akagi...I always new you where a lesbian"

"Akagi...I didn't really screw yor mother"

Somebody stop stop me.

"Akagi...I am your father."

"Akagi...we had a baby."

"Akagi...I'm about to kill you."

Really, I don't know what he said. But I'm truly sorry, or I always loved you was my guess...And she was right, that was a lie.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Treeves056
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Treeves056 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:40 pm

Personaly I think he said somthing related to the reason the magi betrayed her

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: I know what he said!

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:10 pm

Olin of Xephon wrote:"Akagi...you where never any good in bed."

"Akagi...I always new you where a lesbian"

"Akagi...I didn't really screw yor mother"

Somebody stop stop me.

"Akagi...I am your father."

"Akagi...we had a baby."

"Akagi...I'm about to kill you."

Really, I don't know what he said. But I'm truly sorry, or I always loved you was my guess...And she was right, that was a lie.

Number one you are a very sick person

Number two I love you for it that was really funny

kosure
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby kosure » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:24 pm

my favorite one ever was;

Gendou; ...Ritsuko Akagi, I truly love pudding. :lol:
i think cosplay is a lot like communism, it seems like a good idea, but it never turns out the way you want.
Star Wars: The Ultimate Guide

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:26 pm

You missed this one:
"Rtsuko Akagi, i'm truly gay !!!! :oops: "
*insert cool signature here*

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”