[MANGA] [NGE] Problems with the Manga?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

[NGE] Problems with the Manga?

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:57 am

What are some of the things you don't like about the manga? I'll tell mine later.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:26 pm

My biggest issue with the Manga is that I have to wait years on end for the next volume to be released.

As for liberties the manga has taken with NGE storyline, they don't bother me. Sadamoto is one of the founding fathers of Eva, and as such he has the right to tell the story in his own way. as long as he dosen't mess it up with a Shinji/Rei endingImage
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:01 pm

I really can't find anything wrong with the manga, except that its not as deep as the anime. I do like the characters more in this version rather than the anime (Kaowru, Yui and Kaji).

Good_Noodle
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Good_Noodle » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:57 pm

Asides from the long wait between stages, I didn't like Asuka's extra dose of bitchiness. She's no longer fiercely independent to make up for her father's departure in the anime, rather just bitchy for a sake of maliciousness. In other words, she's just plain mean in the manga, and that takes away from the sympathy factor for me. And also her thing with Kaji didn't really feel plausible for me, not to mention it is slightly creepy.

Oh, and Kawrou didn't really work for me in the manga because the lack of reason to defy SEELE. In the anime, Kawrou chose not to proceed with the plan because he realized the giant was lilith, and also his love/respect for Shinji. In the manga he kind of jumps boat at the last moment, suddenly deciding to defy his destiny with his free will. This lack sufficient motive for me. Otherwise, I liked Kawrou as an asshole, and Shinji's *almost* violent confrontation was priceless.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:30 pm

Do you mean how she felt for Kaji?

Good_Noodle
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Good_Noodle » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:07 pm

Yeah.

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:13 pm

He killed Asuka's character.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:39 pm

Well, at least Asuka's breakdown had a helping hand with Shinji's breakdown. I thought that Asuka had chosen independence because of her mom's death in them manga. I think that gives her enough sympathy. With Asuka's extra anger, I think Sadamoto put that in to decease the A/S romance.

I think the reason for Kaworu's not going to Lilith was that he saw that no matter what, he would always be used by Seele. It didn't matter if he did it or not, there was no choice for him as an indivuial. So, the only thing he could do as an indivuial was choose his own death. I don't know if he was for Instrumentality or not, he seemed like he didn't care if it did happen or not.

Good_Noodle
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Good_Noodle » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:53 pm

The Goose wrote:Well, at least Asuka's breakdown had a helping hand with Shinji's breakdown. I thought that Asuka had chosen independence because of her mom's death in them manga. I think that gives her enough sympathy. With Asuka's extra anger, I think Sadamoto put that in to decease the A/S romance.

True, her mom's death does contribute to some of her behaviour. Asuka's back story is not as elaborate as the anime, that's for sure. Her initial "good girl" facade was a tad annoying though... pretty stereotypical. I guess it's the result of the high expectations placed on her, but it didn't feel as genuine as series to me. And yeah, all that anger is no good for romanticizing :D

The Goose wrote:I think the reason for Kaworu's not going to Lilith was that he saw that no matter what, he would always be used by Seele. It didn't matter if he did it or not, there was no choice for him as an indivuial. So, the only thing he could do as an indivuial, was choose his own death. I don't know if he was for Instrumentality or not, he seemed like he didn't care if it did happen or not.

Very true. Still a bit sudden for my taste. My initial reaction to the development was "Eh, WHAT?"

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:10 pm

I didn't like Shinji's reaction to Asuka's mind-rape at the end of Stage 60. He looks like a bad actor trying to sound scared and panicked. Though its so bad, its funny to look at. I can't scan on the computer, so sorry.

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:53 pm

possibly he couldn't fathom what really happened to her.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Good_Noodle
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Good_Noodle » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:34 am

Oh yeah, the Asuka-Shinji kiss in the manga didn't make sense at all; it was rather unnessasary. There aren't really attracted to eachother in a significant manner. Come to think of it, Asuka was more of a comedic relief for most of her frames on the manga.

Eh, I guess it was for the purpose of fanservice...?

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:48 pm

well, i think there is an underlying plot between the two, considering Asuka asked to be moved to live with Misato and Shinji she must have some feelings.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:12 pm

Fearthebait wrote:well, i think there is an underlying plot between the two, considering Asuka asked to be moved to live with Misato and Shinji she must have some feelings.

Asuka does seem to have a liking for Shinji, but Shinji hasn't shown as much as attention to her as he does to Rei.

Jamie the Great
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jamie the Great » Tue May 01, 2007 10:59 pm

I don't like Kaworu being a jerkface! When he killed that kitten I was like OMG wtf? I'm sort of skipping around in the manga's but I heard Asuka goes psycotic or something. I'm guessing that this is in vol 10? I don't really like Asuka in the manga either but I love Rei a lot more in it!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 01, 2007 11:01 pm

The Goose wrote:Asuka does seem to have a liking for Shinji, but Shinji hasn't shown as much as attention to her as he does to Rei.

Enough to make Rei a green-eyed monster. (Or so Armisael claimed.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Wed May 02, 2007 1:42 pm

I love the manga, I actually like it a bit more than the anime, because Shinji is still a whiny little douche, but he's not unrealistically whiny like he is at some points in the anime.

The only thing I don't like is the whole Asuka deal.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Wed May 02, 2007 3:03 pm

Zkh wrote:I love the manga, I actually like it a bit more than the anime, because Shinji is still a whiny little douche, but he's not unrealistically whiny like he is at some points in the anime.

Unrealistically whiny? *snort*
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed May 02, 2007 4:47 pm

Is it bad that I've seen the anime many times, but only read one volume of the manga, never to touch it again?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Wed May 02, 2007 5:45 pm

i've never seen the manga.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”