Fanfics - pro or con

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Fri May 25, 2007 3:15 pm

Kaysow wrote:And I gave my constructive criticism initially. I'm not gonna go any deeper on something as juevenile as fanfiction.

Right, so you're impling that all fanfic is juvenile?

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Fri May 25, 2007 3:40 pm

Stop being an assuming dolt. He finds fanfiction as a concept juvenile, he hasn't read every single fanfic in existence and claimed them to all be individually juvenile.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sat May 26, 2007 7:06 am

It's like that, ja, thanks. I'm sure there's great fanfiction out there, but it's still fanfiction, and my beef is that writing fanfiction is a lame artform.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Sat May 26, 2007 10:20 am

Well, it appears we have different opnions about the concept of fanfiction as a whole. As I said earlier, If it sucks, then it still shoudent affect what it is based on.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sat May 26, 2007 11:23 am

I'm not sure I think it does. It's just that it's such an uninspired way of writing that I'm ashamed to admit to having anything to do with it. Like drawing fanart of Orlando Bloom or something.

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 26, 2007 12:37 pm

Protip: Plenty of published authors started on fanfics. Some continue to indulge for their own amusement.

"Original" fiction is an unconstrained problem; fanfic is a constrained one. Doing either one well involves work -- and juvenilia is juvenilia whichever route you choose.

At base, what you are doing in either case is telling a story. And that's the important skill to develop, even if you're just doing it to scratch your own narrative itch.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Sun May 27, 2007 2:24 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Protip: Plenty of published authors started on fanfics. Some continue to indulge for their own amusement.

"Original" fiction is an unconstrained problem; fanfic is a constrained one. Doing either one well involves work -- and juvenilia is juvenilia whichever route you choose.

At base, what you are doing in either case is telling a story. And that's the important skill to develop, even if you're just doing it to scratch your own narrative itch.

I completely agree on all points.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Mon May 28, 2007 8:46 am

Plenty published authors suck, but OK, granted.

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Mon May 28, 2007 10:04 am

Kaysow wrote:Plenty published authors suck, but OK, granted.

So ignore the shitty ones. Fuck, this isnt that hard...

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon May 28, 2007 11:03 am

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but what would you think if someone who spent a lot of time writing fan fics based on TV shows, only to get a job writing for TV, possibly even a TV show they wrote fan fics on.

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Mon May 28, 2007 11:09 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but what would you think if someone who spent a lot of time writing fan fics based on TV shows, only to get a job writing for TV, possibly even a TV show they wrote fan fics on.

Now THAT'D be a cool gig... as well as trashing Kaysow's arguement. SWEETAGE!!

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Tue May 29, 2007 10:22 am

Don't tease, I crack easily. And I'm being way too nice here.

I Don't see how Monkey's last post can faze mine whatsoever.

No, fanfics are still juevenile, cheap and overly nerdy as a whole, and I still will not read one however talked of it gets.

OMG I love Final Fantasy Ten! I wish I wrote Final Fantasy Ten! I'll write something ONTO Final Fantasy Ten and pretend it's real no matter how little I know of the confidential character profiles and plans for upcoming spinoffs and underlying tones in the setting and whatnot!
It just reeks of amateur, and it's disrespectful to both the original AND to your own credibility as a serious writer. So start writing fanfiction, but don't let me find out if you want me to take you serious in the future.

Also, what few probably know is that I don't read professional fantasy or sci-fi neither. And that's because most of it blows, so what does that say about the same kind of litterature, only writing by hacks with too little sense of self to do it seriously?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Tue May 29, 2007 10:38 am

Kaysow wrote: Snip intellectual masterbation and lies.

Wow. Just... fucking wow. I see the idea went right over your goddamn head. Most Fanfic writers dont pretend that their work is canon. Why, then. BECAUSE IT IS FUCKING FUN!. ANd way to lose the point of EvaMonkey's post. Wow, I have never seen such a fucking dipshit little liar like you. I will disect the rest oif your post later. It's going to be throughly fun. :)

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue May 29, 2007 10:52 am

Kaysow wrote:It just reeks of amateur, and it's disrespectful to both the original AND to your own credibility as a serious writer. So start writing fanfiction, but don't let me find out if you want me to take you serious in the future.

Most fanfic writers aren't concerned about their "credibility as a serious writer." It is just meant to be fun. Not serious. Kaysow, please try to remember than like the Internets, fanfics are serious business.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Tue May 29, 2007 12:48 pm

I enjoy reading good fanfics. It's nice to read a story without trudging through hundreds of pages just to know the characters. Eva fanfics, you already know the what kind of people the characters are, possibilities of what could've been and an actually happy ending which many people like instead of the depressing one in EOE.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 29, 2007 12:51 pm

Executor wrote:
Kaysow wrote: Snip intellectual masterbation and lies.

Wow. Just... fucking wow. ... It's going to be throughly fun. :)

Pray proceed. Observing Queensbury Rules, of course. A gentlemanly dissection is much more satisfactory than a brutal bludgeoning.

kaysow wrote:I don't read professional fantasy or sci-fi neither.

You are, I trust, aware of Sturgeon's Law, in its original formulation?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Wed May 30, 2007 5:07 am

Of course not?

Executor wrote:Wow, I have never seen such a fucking dipshit little liar like you. I will disect the rest oif your post later. It's going to be throughly fun. :)

I don't think you get my dedication here. Point is I seldom agree with the genuine otakus, and all I wanted with this thread was some arguments pro fanfiction. Only thing my last post served to do was to rehash my same shit from earlier, just to reconfirm my "standpoint".
Fuck, it's not even a standpoint, it's just my own (dis)taste. So spare me the picking, unless you can come up with something truly revolutionary to win me over.
And ease off with the namecalling, once is enough. No need to try and make this internet shitfest personal.
Last edited by Kaysow on Wed May 30, 2007 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed May 30, 2007 10:42 am

I mus once again express surprise at the fact that SF readers are a rarity here, given the central topic of these boards is the product of some hard-core fen.

Add to that the surprise that someone who disdains the written expression of the genre should have stooped into the mire of the video form, in which the gems are fewer and further between and typically of a lesser quality.

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Wed May 30, 2007 10:48 am

Mr. Tines wrote:I mus once again express surprise at the fact that SF readers are a rarity here, given the central topic of these boards is the product of some hard-core fen.

Add to that the surprise that someone who disdains the written expression of the genre should have stooped into the mire of the video form, in which the gems are fewer and further between and typically of a lesser quality.

WAit a minute: They're arent that many Sci-fi fans here? 0_x But I thought Eva was a Sci-fi show. My mistakes. As for my rebuttal to Kaysow's smart-ass posts, they willl be coming up when I get home.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Wed May 30, 2007 11:00 am

Mr. Tines wrote:Add to that the surprise that someone who disdains the written expression of the genre should have stooped into the mire of the video form, in which the gems are fewer and further between and typically of a lesser quality.

I'll take your word for it. Novelized fantasy is usually dreary and boring, but what other scifi is there to resort to except the classics like Herbert and Asimov? And no Star Wars or anything like that either. Man, writing this I realize it's mostly just that I don't like books all that much.

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Return to “Fanfiction”