[LAEM] Something to REALLY worry about.

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Kyle
Matarael
Matarael

Something to REALLY worry about.

Postby Kyle » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:36 pm

I dont think the biggest problem to worry about is "who will wright?",
"Who will direct?"or "Who will star?"Those are all valid things but im more concernd about the catholic's and christian's protesting it's release because of the suggestive religious overtone's.

Look at how the catholic's tried to pull the great kevin smith's "DOGMA",
wich is a great movie by the way.And ill have you know that no harm whatsoever came from that films relese.I hope the same thing happens with the NGELAM.

I have nothing against catholic's or christian's but if anyone were to be against this movie it would be them.Of course if it comes to that im sure every seriouse NGE fan would do everything in his or her power to see that movie even if it turn out to be terrible.

Id like to hear your thought's on this not only because i really think its something to worry about but also because i think this is the most relavent thread iv ever made on this board.I go now to prey.
"It's good to have team mates...it gives them other people to shoot at."-Unknown.

"Who dare's,wins"-SAS motto

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:11 am

Let them protest and make all the fuss they want. No publicity is bad publicity. There has already been plenty of crazy nutso people protesting the series and movie ("NGE made my son commit suicide").

But has anyone seen "Children of Men"?

What do you prey on?

Kyle
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Kyle » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:22 am

I prey on the toilet.It's been crapping out on me lately.
"It's good to have team mates...it gives them other people to shoot at."-Unknown.

"Who dare's,wins"-SAS motto

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:29 am

Oh, you mean "pray"? As in

:arrow: "Pray to whatever gods you believe in"

and not

"This toilet is my prey, I've been hunting it all day".

(Look, I used that arrow emoticon)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:53 am

It's been brought up before in discussion on various forums. I don't think we have much to worry about. If anything, I'm hoping that fanatical zealots protest Live Action Eva, it will just help build buzz. Just as nothing came of Dogma, or any other fictional movie utilizing Christian motifs, I don't think Eva will be hurt by the religious community.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:58 am

Ornette wrote:"This toilet is my prey, I've been hunting it all day".

Lollerskates.

That's all I have to say about this thread.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:58 pm

Kyle wrote:I don't think the biggest problem to worry about is "Who will right?","Who will direct?" or "Who will star?"

Fixed. :wink:
I don't think the spiritual overtones will hurt Live Action NGE, or the Webuild :wink: of Wevangelion. Of all the possible themes of Evangelion, I don't think there is anything theology-wise that the vast majority of Christendom would take serious offense to. This isn't The Last Temptation of Christ, The Passion of The Christ, Holy Blood, Holy Grail or more recently The Da Vinci Code. Various fundamentalists might try to construe the Lilith, Tree of Sephiroth, etc., into some sort of propaganda for Gnosticism and Kabbalah.
Ooh :!: :idea:
I just had a frightening thought. What if all the celebs who follow Kabbalah started to push Eva :?: :!: :shock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_celebrities_involved_in_the_Kabbalah_Centre
Ooh, I truly shudder at this evil thought of mine. Eek! :twisted:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Something to REALLY worry about.

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:57 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:
Kyle wrote:I don't think the biggest problem to worry about is "Who will right?","Who will direct?" or "Who will star?"

I don't think the biggest problem to worry about is "Who will write?","Who will direct?" or "Who will star?"
Owned.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Something to REALLY worry about.

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:19 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:

I don't think the biggest problem to worry about is "Who will write?","Who will direct?" or "Who will star?"
Owned.

:x The EM owns me, damn it :!: :wink:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Res Novae
Embryo

Postby Res Novae » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:58 pm

In all honesty, I don't think there is reason to be concerned. If anything, it'll boost the sales.
"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself."

ferrarimanf355
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:32 pm

Res Novae wrote:In all honesty, I don't think there is reason to be concerned. If anything, it'll boost the sales.

Hey, if that bigoted idiot Bill Donahue whines, then ADV should send him a Christmas card (with "Happy Hoildays!" enscribed to rile him up), sarcastically thanking him for the publicity. 8)
myspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobig... I am a banana!

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fearthebait » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:08 am

religions need to lrn2tolerate
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:54 pm

I can see it now, Madonna as Ritsuko. :twisted:
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:49 pm

Why does this stupid topic always seem to come back? :?

I think that some people on these boards actually want to see Christians cause an uproar over Evangelion. Well I really hate to dissapoint you, but it ain't happening. Evangelion has some borrowed imagery from the bible, but no-one is going to care any more than they did for the Matrix-- If anything, after the film comes out and is a success, it wouldn't surprise me if little "Finding God in Evangelion" tracts start popping up on the rack at your local church. The only way that Evangelion can be interperated as anti-Christian is if they have an anti-Christian director, which I most certainly hope it will not.

As a practicing Christian myself, I can say quite safely that Evangelion is no more offensive to Christians than any other action / sci-fi story with sybols borrowed from the bible in the last 20 years, and there are a lot of those. Evangelion will not get even a fraction of the controversy from Christians that the Da Vinci Code did, so just let it go. If The Matrix and Superman Returns didn't get people stomping their feet with "Jesus Neo" and "Jesus Superman," then I doubt Evangelion will with "Jesus Yui" or whatever analogy people find with it.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:55 pm

I'm Christian, too, and I don't see it offensive at all.

Hell, I didn't even know about some of the Pointless Reilgious Symbolism until somebody pointed it out to me! (eg: Dead Sea Scrolls, names of the Magi...)

@Hunter21: Madonna as Ritsuko would be some funny shit; I'd see that. ^_^; (I don't think she's that bad of an actress, personally. I also like her music even though she slept her way to the top. That's Hollywood for ya. :roll:)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:30 pm

Much of the symbolism in Evangelion that's actually relevant to me seems to get overlooked constantly, and I'm not even sure if Anno knew it was there when he was making it. The biggest thing is that SEELE seems like a perfect illustration of the one-world government that is supposed to bring humanity to ruin. And even though contextually Third Impact is pretty different from the Rapture (man deciding to merge all conciousnesses into one, versus God evacuating his chosen before the tribulation), the visuals are very much what one might imagine the rapture being like.

And even though people constantly compare Kaworu to Jesus, I do not think he is by any means Evangelion's "Christ" character. That title is totally Yui Ikari's.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

C4
Lilith

Postby C4 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:49 pm

I'm Christian as well,(for the sake of argument anyway) and I know that while I wouldn't get offended by it, and most people wouldn't get offended by it, but some people are going to overreact completely and take it the wrong way. However, I don't think it will be big enough to get substantial press; maybe a two-minute blurb on CNN, and that's only if the movie gets substantial enough hype.

In short: Nothing to worry about, nothing to get your hopes up over.

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fearthebait » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:57 pm

honestly, nothing in Eva should offend any Christian. If they have a problem with Misato wearing a cross or some other crazy bible reference they can just not watch the movie.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

Postby master0rolando » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:38 am

Kaworu = Jesus...

[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

thats a new one on me

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:00 am

master0rolando wrote:Kaworu = Jesus...
thats a new one on me

ADV's offcial site for the 10th (hahahahaha) Aniversary box set
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”