Rebuild of Wevangeliwon #1 = September 1

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Blue Water
Embryo

Rebuild of Wevangeliwon #1 = September 1

Postby Blue Water » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:27 pm

(No, there's no typo in the title)

So a new article has appeared on "Sponichi Annex" (an Japanese online news portal).

What I've understood so far is that, first, the 1st part/movie of Rebuild will air in cinemas on September 1.

Then (and that's a good one), the title of the show has been slightly modified...It's no longer エヴァンゲリオン (Evangelion), but ヱヴァンゲリヲン, which would normally transcribe as "Wevangeliwon", or "Yevangeliwon".

However, after a quick look on the internet, it appears that the new katakana ヱ (we/ye) and ヲ (wo) are very seldom used in modern Japanese, and are often pronunced as (or even replaced by) エ (e) and オ(o). It seems that the we/ye and wo characters are now used for stylistic purpose only.

So I guess that the word would still be romanised as "Evangelion", however the Japanese spelling has now a "sophisticated/archaic" feeling...

From what I understand, for us, it would probably be like writing "Euaggelion".

And finally, 50 cinemas in Japan are currently displaying very simple posters of Rebuild (with only white text on a black background), and showing a 15-seconds teaser !

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:06 pm

O RLY?? :?

And how do you know all this?

eg, if that teaser part is true, somebody would have SOMEHOW manged to upload it by now! :roll:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:23 pm

Little do we know that the spelling will actually be the only change in the new release.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:11 pm

I'm confused as hell.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:21 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:WI'm confwused as hwell.

Fwixed.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:30 am

Be vewy quiet! I'm hunting a wascawy wevangewion!
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Blue Water
Embryo

Postby Blue Water » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:42 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:And how do you know all this?

It's written in the link I gave. It's from a Japanese news portal, so it's always more reliable than message boards...

I first used an automatic translator, then a friend of mine who speaks Japanese confirmed the info...

eg, if that teaser part is true, somebody would have SOMEHOW manged to upload it by now!

Don't know, the article was written yesterday, maybe the campain has just begun, or will begin shortly after...

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:28 am

I like how nobody knows what the hell is going on.

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:39 pm

I do know.

Gainax put ads on newspapers and stuff. Evangelion is spelled differently:

Originally: エヴァンゲリオン
Now: ヱヴァンゲリヲン

There's like a declaration or something. I gotta check on this.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:57 pm

Ku--kkukkukkukkukkukku....

「エヴァ」はくり返しの物語です。
主人公が何度も同じ目に遭いながら、ひたすら立ち上がっていく話です。
わずかでも前に進もうとする、意思の話です。
暖味な孤独に耐え他者に触れるのが恐くても一緒にいたいと思う、覚悟の話です。
同じ物語からまた違うカタチへ変化していく4つの作品を、楽しんでいただければ幸いです。

No more EMO Shinji? Nekketsu Shinji?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:04 pm

google language tools wrote:“[evua]” is the story of repetition. While the protagonist many degrees encountering to the same eye, it is the story which intently keeps standing up. Even, barely it tries probably to move forward, it is story of intention. Warm taste lonely to withstand fear to touch the other person, we would like together, it is story of preparedness. If from the same story and you can enjoy four works which keep changing, to [katachi] which is different, it is fortunate.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

WES512
Adam

Postby WES512 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:33 pm

Here's an interview to Anno from some newspaper. AchtungAffen posted part of this article early today.
[URL=http://img458.imageshack.us/my.php?image=up43563td8.jpg]Image[/URL]

我々は再び、何を作ろうとしているのか?

「エヴァンゲリオン」という映像作品は、様々な願いで作られています。

自分の正直な気分というものをtィルムに定着させたいという願い。
アニメーション映像が持っているイメージの具現化、表現の多様さ、原始的な感情に触れる、本来の面白さを一人でも多くの人に●●●
疲弊しつつある日本のアニメーションを、未来へとつなげたいという願い。
蔓延する閉鎖感を打破したいという願い。
現実世界で生きていく心の強さを持ち続けたい、という願い。

今一度、これらの願いを具現化したいという願い。
そのために今、我々が出来るベストな方法がエヴァンゲリオン再映画化でした。
10年以上昔のタイトルを何故今更、とも思います。
エヴァはもう古い、とも感じます。
しかし、この12年間エヴァより新しいアニメはありませんでした。

閉じて停滞した現代には技術論ではなく、志を示すことが大切だと思います。
本来アニメーションを支えるファン層であるべき中高生のアニメ離れが加速していく中、彼等に向けた作品が必要だと感じます。
現状のアニメーションの役に少しでも立ちたいと考え、再びこのタイトル作品に触れることを決心しました。

映像製作者として、改めて気分を一新した現代版のエヴァンゲリオン世界を構築する。
このために古巣のガイナックスではなく自身で製作会社と製作スタジオを立ち上げ、初心からの再出発としまいた。
過去にとらわれず、現状に甘えず、進歩ある未来を目指すためです。
幸いにも旧作からのスタッフ、新たに参入してくれるスタッフと素晴らしい面々が集結しつつあります。
旧作以上の作品を作っている実感がわいてきます。

「エヴァ」はくり返しの物語です。
主人公が何度も同じ目に遭いながら、ひたすら立ち上がっていく話です。
わずかでも前に進もうとする、意思の話です。
暖味な孤独に耐え他者に触れるのが恐くても一緒にいたいと思う、覚悟の話です。
同じ物語からまた違うカタチへ変化していく4つの作品を、楽しんでいただければ幸いです。

最後に、我々の仕事はサービス業でもあります。
当然ながら、エヴァンゲリオンを知らない人たちが触れやすいよう、劇場用映画として面白さを凝縮し、世界観を再構築し、
誰もが楽しめるエンターテイメント映像を目指します。

2007年初秋を、御期待下さい。

原作/総監督 庵野秀明
2006 09/28 晴れの日に 鎌倉にて
Last edited by WES512 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is Alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth.

Lleonard Pler
Lilith

Postby Lleonard Pler » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:39 pm

It's great to finally have a premiere date! This year I will most probably travel to Japan, and now I will try to be there when the movie is in cinemas, it will be great to watch it. (Years ago, I had the opportunity to watch Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion at a Cinema Festival of my town and it was so amazing.)

I don't like the new katakana spelling, but I guess we just need to get used to it.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:44 pm

Google language tools wrote:We again it has been about probably to making what? The image work, “[evuangerion]” is made in the various requests. A request that we would like to become fixed your own honest feeling to t [irumu]. Variety of materialization conversion and expression of the image which animation image has, it mentions primitive feeling, original interest the request that connect the Japanese animation which the ●●● is becoming impoverished even alone in many people, to future you want. A request that we would like to break down the closed impression of spreading. The request that we would like to hold the strength of the heart which keeps living in the actual world. A request that now one time, we would like to materialize and convert these requests. Now because of that, the best method where we can do was [evuangerion] re-filming. Title of former times of 10 year or more is thought why after so long a time, also. [evua] is old already, also you feel. But, there was no animation which is newer than this 12 annual [evua]. Closing, it is not technical theory in the today when it is stagnant, you think that it is important to show will. Originally while the animation leaving of the proper junior high and high school students keeps accelerating at the fan layer which supports animation, you feel that the work which is directed to him et. al is necessary. That we would like to stand even a little in part of animation of present condition, you thought, you resolved that again it touches this title work. As an image production person, the [evuangerion] world of the present-day edition which again renovates feeling is constructed. Is not [gainatsukusu] of the old home because of this and you start the production company and the production studio with itself, restarting from original intention are to put away. Not to be restricted by the past, is in order to aim toward the future which is progress not to presume upon present condition. Even fortunately the staff from the old work and the staff who enters anew splendid every one is collecting. The reality which makes the work above the old work boils. “[evua]” is the story of repetition. While the protagonist many degrees encountering to the same eye, it is the story which intently keeps standing up. Even, barely it tries probably to move forward, it is story of intention. Warm taste lonely to withstand fear to touch the other person, we would like together, it is story of preparedness. If from the same story and you can enjoy four works which keep changing, to [katachi] which is different, it is fortunate. Lastly, our works are the service industry. The proper, in order for the people who do not know [evuangerion] to be easy to touch, interest is condensed as a movie for the theater, world view is re-constructed, toward the entertainment image which everyone can enjoy aims. 2007 beginning of the year fall, expectation. Original/in day of entire supervision hermitage field Hideaki 2006 09 /28 clearing up at Kamakura
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:48 pm

The new spelling of "E" is okay I guess. Just have to get used to it is right. :|

Googlized Engrish wrote:The request that we would like to hold the strength of the heart which keeps living in the actual world.

Hells yeah! ^_^

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:01 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:The new spelling of "E" is okay I guess. Just have to get used to it is right. :|

But how to translate the effect properly?

Ye Olde Neonne Genesis Evangelionne, perhaps

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:45 pm

How about one of these:

Kneeyon Genisys Eevangellyon.

EvangLEon

3V4NG31!0N

|= \/ /\ |\| (- |= |_ | () |\|

Okay, I'm getting a bit carried away now. :P
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:39 pm

I suppose we could just call it νέον γένεσις εὐαγγέλιον.

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:04 pm

O'course Euaggelion is exactly εὐαγγέλιον or rather

E u a g g e l i o n = ε ὐ α γ γ έ λ ι ο ν but misses a few things like γγ = ng.

Erm yeah confused too. I mean Why?

But how to translate the effect properly?

Ye Olde Neonne Genesis Evangelionne, perhaps

What you have there is perhaps the strangest fake middle/Early Modern English I've ever seen

If you want Old English then:

niwe ācennednyss* godspell (God bless the internet)

Bizarrely outside of the religious meaning good news = willspell

Are you perhaps in need of lead type? That’s the only reason anyone ever used ‘y’ instead of þ . :P By the time they started printing it's use was falling off and people began using ‘th’ it was popular enough for printers to want something to mean þ and what looks more like that than a y? That and lazy scribes, we’ll just blame them.

Every time you say 'Ye Olde' and pronounce the 'Y' and the second 'e' god kills a kitten. So if you ever see Ye Olde Tea Shoppie (or similar abominations) please don't say what amounts to: 'You old tea shop [Ye being; informal, you(thou singular) ] [/rant][/off topic]

Or genesis = beginning (anginn (noun neuter) fruma (noun masculine) frumtīd (noun feminine)

Creation = frumsceaft (nn) gesceaft (nf)
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:47 pm

Steve-san, the "spelling" is still the same word in nihongo (and English for that matter), it's just a different font as it were. Something of an example: think of it as always using Arail (my favorite font, I dunno why) then suddenly switching over to Comic San MS.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”